Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/12/2006 8:57:17 PM EDT

Someone *PLEASE* find the reset button for this planet... we're *WAY* overdue.

cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_042233323.html

Boy Charged With Felony For Powdered Sugar
Police Say Sugar Brought To School Look-Alike Drug

(CBS) AURORA Police in Aurora have confirmed that a 12-year-old boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project last week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug.

The sixth grade student at Waldo Middle School in Aurora also was suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine after he showed it to them in the bathroom Wednesday morning. The boy's mother said he told them it did, but then added, "just kidding."

Aurora police arrested the boy after a custodian at the school reported the boy's comments. The youngster was taken to the police station and detained before being released to his parents that afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]

JBTs with nothing to do looking to stir up something.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope the parents sue the hell out of someone for this...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
wow.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn that is stupid.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
JohninAustin, what do you think about this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn that is stupid.  

+1

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Who didn't try to pass of powdered sugar as cocaine when they were in school?     I know I did.  

People need to lighten the fuck up.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfuckingbelieveable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
So kids are not allowed to be kids anymore?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hope the parents sue the hell out of someone for this...

for?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful you don't take a spoon with you in your lunch...you may resemble a heroin addict
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you imagine what would happen if he brought a Guns & Ammo magazine to school?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can you imagine what would happen if he brought a Guns & Ammo magazine to school?

seven years ago it would get you a trip to the principal's office, later a trip to see the school psychologist. (unknown if related)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a lot safer to create criminals out of 12 year-olds than it is to arrest real criminals.  That's why you see so many local cops here giving-out parking tickets or speeding tickets for driving 0.5 MPH over the speed limit rather than going after murders or bank robbers.  I live in what's probably the smallest city in the top 100 murder rate, but the cops don't make an effort.  Like after my cousin was murdered and I found her car in front of an apartment and a black man wearing her clothes and her jewelery, and the city cops refused to take action until several people called the local TV station.  That was too dangerous for them.  A friend and his wife were murdered in a bank robbery on May 16, 2003, but local cops refused to take action on dozens of tips they received until a couple of weeks ago.  It's much safer to create criminals out of 12 year-olds than deal with the dangerous ones.z
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

not anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I really despise copbashing threads ,but Damn guys...you ain't makin' it easy on people like me.

Who pulled the drain plug on common sense?

These Keystone Kops are going to ruin this kids life with a felony record over a bag of sugar?
What next?...are they going to arrest the shop class for deadly weapons violations? Or maybe take down the girls locker room for lewd & lascivious acts? Oh, and better call Homeland Security...someone said "nitrate" in Chemistry class.

Serve them right if the parents called in an anonymous tip to the FBI , and had the police station raided for an unknown white powdery substance next to their coffee maker.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#18]
How can you not hate cops when they arrest people for this type of shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's a lot safer to create criminals out of 12 year-olds than it is to arrest real criminals.  That's why you see so many local cops here giving-out parking tickets or speeding tickets for driving 0.5 MPH over the speed limit rather than going after murders or bank robbers.  I live in what's probably the smallest city in the top 100 murder rate, but the cops don't make an effort.  Like after my cousin was murdered and I found her car in front of an apartment and a black man wearing her clothes and her jewelery, and the city cops refused to take action until several people called the local TV station.  That was too dangerous for them.  A friend and his wife were murdered in a bank robbery on May 16, 2003, but local cops refused to take action on dozens of tips they received until a couple of weeks ago.  It's much safer to create criminals out of 12 year-olds than deal with the dangerous ones.z

You'll understand if I don't believe your story, correct?

Brian
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
There has to be more to this than what was reported....

Brian
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope! It's against the law.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Oh, trust me buddy, I have NO confidence in the Police. Shit like this happens frequently around here. And if you DO need help, first, call dominos pizza, then call the police, now, see who gets there first, that is unless your a 6th grader with a bag of powdered sugar and a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#23]
You want to control the people without resorting to despotism? Make every new crime a felony. Eventually, you will have more felons than non-felons.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Something similar happened to me when I was in high school. Police were called on me when my girlfriend and I were having an argument in the hallway between periods.

When she tried to leave mid argument I grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving. A teacher witnessed this and informed the principal who then informed the police.

Being that I was a known trouble maker around school the police were fimiliar with me and gave me a through search when they arrived.

Now earlier in the week my art teacher gave us a project to do which she let me take home. The project was a clay like square sheet I was supposed carve a design into. Along with the sheet she gave me a carving knife to use on the sheet.

The carving knife was found in my bag and the officers determined it to be a "Crack Spoon". I was laughing so hard until they said they were going to charge me with distrubution.

It took the Art teacher to convince them by showing them her box of carving knives before they believed the story.

In the end, Fairfax county police tried to get my girlfriends mother to file assault charges against me. She refused and now she is my mother in law and the grandmother to my 2 girls

Sometimes "Our" law system amazes me!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, crucial information is left out, and the article is in fact, factually inaccurate.  First, he was not charged with a felony, but with a misdemeanor, even though he could have been charged with a felony.  Whoever started this felony thing just made it up.  Second, he told some people the day before it brought it that he'd be bring coke to school, and lo and behold, he shows up the next day with what appears to be coke.  At one point, he was carrying the powder in a bag in his shoe.  Him and a "friend" were in the restroom with it when a janitor caught them.  The police got involved because someone needed to ID the substance.  Apparently the school has a significant drug problem to begin with, which is why they were not amused.  The school was apparently unable to contact the kids parents (inaccurate emergency information was provided, apparently), and so he had to be taken to the station until his parents came to pick him up.  If the kid has a bit of luck, the charges will be dropped anyway.  And even if it isn't, its just going to be some stupid thing in juvinile court that will result in some sort of probation.  But he still has a two week suspension.

ETA:

Quoted:
The carving knife was found in my bag and the officers determined it to be a "Crack Spoon". I was laughing so hard until they said they were going to charge me with distrubution.

I would just love to see the video of this, the smile giving way to terror......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
So, im eating these damn powdered donuts, should I be worried that some of the powdered sugar is on my mouth and hands? (and keyboard)

Im keeping an eye out for the red and blues...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
JohninAustin, what do you think about this?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seven years ago it would get you a trip to the principal's office, later a trip to see the school psychologist. (unknown if related)

same thing with Shotgun News in '98.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Im so sending my kids to school with guns and ammo mags.... Then when they get stupid, ill give them a reason to call the cops, after I bitch slap the principle back into reality and take my kid out of public school.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Im so sending my kids to school with guns and ammo mags.... Then when they get stupid, ill give them a reason to call the cops, after I bitch slap the principle back into reality and take my kid out of public school.

I used to bring gun magazines to school all the time (graduated last year).  My liberal english teacher flipped out and got the principle and tried to involve the police, the principle laughed and told me to keep the magazines out of sight during class.  When I was reading one in my history class some students freaked out and tried to get the teacher to take it from me, she refused to and said I could read whatever I wanted since I was finished with my project.  Then one person said, "Doesn't it even concern you that he's reading about guns?"  My teacher replied "Not in the least, what concerns me his that you are so worried about a mere magazine, in fact I would not mind if he had an actual gun with him, I'd trust him with a gun more then I would trust you with a pencil."  She was my new favorite teacher after that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to bring gun magazines to school all the time (graduated last year).  My liberal english teacher flipped out and got the principle and tried to involve the police, the principle laughed and told me to keep the magazines out of sight during class.  When I was reading one in my history class some students freaked out and tried to get the teacher to take it from me, she refused to and said I could read whatever I wanted since I was finished with my project.  Then one person said, "Doesn't it even concern you that he's reading about guns?"  My teacher replied "Not in the least, what concerns me his that you are so worried about a mere magazine, in fact I would not mind if he had an actual gun with him, I'd trust him with a gun more then I would trust you with a pencil."  She was my new favorite teacher after that.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#33]
The POPO wanted the sugar for their doughnuts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:41:33 AM EDT
[#34]
The Aurora PD has nothing to do.  But remember, they are doing it for the children.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Sheesh! Good thing I've never been pulled over coming back from the brew shop. That 4oz bag of hops (whole flower) would nab me a trip to the pokey...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Ban powdered sugar. It's for the school children.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Gun pubs. are on the "zero tolerance" list at my Nephew's elementary school, meaning an automatic suspension for bringing a PICTURE of a gun to school
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used to have G&A in our school library (I know; I used to take the old issues). Times are changing. I'm sure most of you remember the grade-school kid who was suspended because he drew a picture of a gun. I've discussed this with my kids, so they all know enough not to do it. All of my kids have toy guns (except for the one year old), and they do know enough to leave them home.

This being said, when I was in high school, one of my classmates brought two of his Dad's old handguns in to mechanical drawing class. He passed them around and there was absolutely no problem with it. It's all about intent, or at least it used to be. Like I said, times are a-changin'.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Someone *PLEASE* find the reset button for this planet... we're *WAY* overdue.

cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_042233323.html

Boy Charged With Felony For Powdered Sugar
Police Say Sugar Brought To School Look-Alike Drug

(CBS) AURORA Police in Aurora have confirmed that a 12-year-old boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project last week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug.

The sixth grade student at Waldo Middle School in Aurora also was suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine after he showed it to them in the bathroom Wednesday morning. The boy's mother said he told them it did, but then added, "just kidding."

Aurora police arrested the boy after a custodian at the school reported the boy's comments. The youngster was taken to the police station and detained before being released to his parents that afternoon.

How in blue hell can you charge someone for a felony for carrying a bag of powdered sugar? What's next? Waiting outside Wal-Mart and busting little old ladies for public posession of flour???

With terrorists and illegals running around our nation, you would THINK that these idiots could find something more productive to do than charge middle schoolers for the posession of SUGAR.

I can't wait until the rapture. Then all the stupid will finally end....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Who didn't try to pass of powdered sugar as cocaine when they were in school?     I know I did.  

People need to lighten the fuck up.  

Remember pixie sticks?

Remember the freaky kids who used to snort it?

Should we have put them in prison too? For "imitating" drug use???
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#41]
The kid is 12 years old. He was putting on a show. He got caught.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I can hate them no more than the dumbass school administrators who sh*t their pants because a kid had a bag of SUGAR.

Also remember that much of a police officer's job has no discretion any more. Departmental policies and state laws exist that make stupidity the law of the land, and the individual officers have no choice in the matter. All those "protect the children!" pieces of legislation are usually nothing more than codified idiocy.

It is likely that the officers who had to make the "arrest" thought it was the dumbest f*cking thing on earth.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The kid is 12 years old. He was putting on a show. He got caught.

So that warrents a felony charge if in fact it happens?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well, crucial information is left out, and the article is in fact, factually inaccurate.  First, he was not charged with a felony, but with a misdemeanor, even though he could have been charged with a felony.  Whoever started this felony thing just made it up.  Second, he told some people the day before it brought it that he'd be bring coke to school, and lo and behold, he shows up the next day with what appears to be coke.  At one point, he was carrying the powder in a bag in his shoe.  Him and a "friend" were in the restroom with it when a janitor caught them.  The police got involved because someone needed to ID the substance.  Apparently the school has a significant drug problem to begin with, which is why they were not amused.  The school was apparently unable to contact the kids parents (inaccurate emergency information was provided, apparently), and so he had to be taken to the station until his parents came to pick him up.  If the kid has a bit of luck, the charges will be dropped anyway.  And even if it isn't, its just going to be some stupid thing in juvinile court that will result in some sort of probation.  But he still has a two week suspension.

That sounds like a more reasonable scenario.

Still, the kid ought not be charged with any crime.

The judge simply ought to smack him in the head and say "Cut it out!!!"

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn, if I were in school NOW, and did what I did THEN.
Holy fuckin' shit, I'd be UNDER the jailhouse!!

We are training people Stoopid these days.
We need a national swirly, to clean the shit out of this country.
When does it stop? When does common sense become common again?
no wonder kids are dumb as hell anymore. I dont blame them for sitting in front of the Playstation all day. Hell wait til they make FPS games a felony offense LOL
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Two words....

HOME SCHOOL!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Hell, bringing a paintball magazine to school seven years ago would get you a trip to the principal's office.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#50]
What's a crack spoon? Is it something fat guys use?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top