Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 7:44:08 PM EDT
Why do people still do it?

Isn't the cash serial numbered and planted with dye bombs?

www.thewmurchannel.com/news/6877622/detail.html?subid=22101161&qs=1;bp=t
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of people do lots of stupid things

Brothers Charged With Robbing Several Banks
Money Taken In Thefts Not Recovered
February 9, 2006
www.thewmurchannel.com/news/6877622/detail.html?subid=22101161&qs=1;bp=t
CONCORD, N.H. -- Investigators on Thursday said that they cracked a major bank robbery operation with the arrest of two brothers from Maine.

Avery Blodgett, 24, and Travis Blodgett, 26, were indicted on charges related to 12 robberies in eight cities, from North Conway to Manchester, over a three-month period.

"The federal grand jury has indicted Avery Blodgett and Travis Blodgett, brothers, in a 16-count indictment," U.S. Attorney Thomas Colantuono said.

Authorities said that from late October 2005 through the middle of January, the Blodgetts held up banks and got away with almost $86,000 in cash. A TD Banknorth branch in Manchester was robbed twice, three weeks apart.

Police said the brothers would often wear disguises. Sometimes they would enter the banks together, and at other times, one would wait outside. On two occasions, a weapon was used.

Police said the Blodgetts used the stolen money to purchase drugs.

The big break in the case came on Jan. 11 when police found a green Saab after the Ocean National Bank in Stratham was robbed.

"As a result of information developed from the seizure of that vehicle, we were able to put this case together, and you see the results," Colantuono said.

Prosecutors said they recovered cocaine form that vehicle, but they would not say what specific evidence led them to the Blodgetts.

In the past four months, there have been 28 bank robberies in New Hampshire, far above the yearly average. But police said that because of state, local and federal cooperation, they have now been able to solve almost half of them

"Obviously, local departments can't do this type of investigation," Manchester Chief John Jaskolka said. "They don't have the resources to conduct a multi-jurisdictional type of investigation that is required."

Authorities said they have not recovered any of the stolen money, but the investigation is not over and more arrests are possible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
We have had 6 bank robberies in the last 2 years out here.

NONE have been solved.

100% success rate? No to bad a deal.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Obviously serial numbers and dye packs didn't effect these two.

The smart ones ditch the getaway car and obtain a new one for the next job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We have had 6 bank robberies in the last 2 years out here.

NONE have been solved.

100% success rate? No to bad a deal.

Av.

Wisconnsin eh?

Hmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Because they are idiots who have seen too many movies and TV shows.

Banks rarely have a whole lot of cash, and a typical bank robber is lucky to put his hands on $15,000 or so.  Even at 5 times that, the risk is no where near worth the potential reward.  The reason it still happens is that the entry costs are zero; anyone can try to rob a bank, even with just a mask, a jacket, and a finger.

The REAL money is stolen by corporations, non-profits, and government agencies.  The people that control them have access to many, many millions of dollars, and there are a ton of ways to divert funds on a massive scale.

-Troy

Lot less chance of getting shot while you are stealing it too
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember catching a bank robbery suspect and his girlfriend last year.  They were about two hours away from leaving for the airport and Las Vegas when we hit their hotel room. Needless to say they were pissed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of years ago we had some robbers in Houston
they got away and went back to their house
they had all the money on the dining room table
the LEOs surrounded the house thanks to the gps in with the money
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Banks rarely have a whole lot of cash, and a typical bank robber is lucky to put his hands on $15,000 or so.  Even at 5 times that, the risk is no where near worth the potential reward.  The reason it still happens is that the entry costs are zero; anyone can try to rob a bank, even with just a mask, a jacket, and a finger.

The REAL money is stolen by corporations, non-profits, and government agencies.  The people that control them have access to many, many millions of dollars, and there are a ton of ways to divert funds on a massive scale.

-Troy

I remember seeing a story a few years back, saying that the average take in a bank robbery was about $10,000 (or something close to that), and that the chance of getting caught was over 90%.

The story also said that the average take in white collar crime was over $200,000, and the chance of being prosecuted was less than 10%.

People who rob banks are usually idiots, HEAT nonwithstanding.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Banks rarely have a whole lot of cash, and a typical bank robber is lucky to put his hands on $15,000 or so.  Even at 5 times that, the risk is no where near worth the potential reward.  

-Troy

Depends on how badly you want 15k.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Whacked on Scooby snacks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Whacked on Scooby snacks.

I had to bring that song up on the iPod as soon as I read that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting topic.

Those assholes that died in the Hollywood shootout,hadn't they successfully stolen somewhere between 1 mill and 2 million dollars before they died?

They were doing armored cars though to weren't they?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Steal from the rich and I'm out robbing banks
Give to the poor and I always give thanks
Got more stories that J.D. got Salinger
I hold the title and you are the challenger
I've got money like Charles Dickens
Got the girlies in the Coupe like the Colonel's got the chickens
Always go out dapper like Harry S. Truman
I'm madder than Mad's Alfred E. Newman
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Banks rarely have a whole lot of cash, and a typical bank robber is lucky to put his hands on $15,000 or so.  Even at 5 times that, the risk is no where near worth the potential reward.  

-Troy

Agreed.
So much money is electronic these days.
Why try to rob a physical bank, when you can e-rob and steal electronic money.
A lot easier to launder imaginary money too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Because the movie Heat makes them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Because the movie Heat makes them.

BAN HEAT!!!!

(its for the children)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, if you gotta go to jail...this is what you want to be in for.

In Prison hierarchy terms....
Bank robbers are top man on the totem pole, you're least likely to get messed with and get more respect. I guess it goes back to the Bonnie & Clyde/Pretty Boy Floyd days.

Drug Dealers, burglars...you're dime a dozen, you'll have to fend for yourselves.

Snitches & Child Molesters...low man on the totem pole with a target on your back. You'll be somebody's bitch or somebody's ticket up the totem pole once they put a shive in your throat.

Info obtained from a friend who was a prison guard at a fun little resort called Brushy Mountain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

thats about what is kept in the top drawer of the teller stalls, theres a lot more money kept in the second/false drawers nobody ever seems to know about
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Bank robbers are top man on the totem pole, you're least likely to get messed with and get more respect. I guess it goes back to the Bonnie & Clyde/Pretty Boy Floyd days.

Drug Dealers, burglars...you're dime a dozen, you'll have to fend for yourselves.

Snitches & Child Molesters...low man on the totem pole with a target on your back. You'll be somebody's bitch or somebody's ticket up the totem pole once they put a shive in your throat.

Info obtained from a friend who was a prison guard at a fun little resort called Brushy Mountain.

Wrong cop killers are top of the pole
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong cop killers are top of the pole

Not necessarily...depending on where you are, cop killers are not given the same liberties as the general population, many call maximum security their home,  and are more accident prone with "those darn slippery stairs".
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
It's easy to get away with it actually.  Don't use Heat as a training film and you'll probably get away with it.  They don't get a lot of money, but they do usually get something. They just don't get the news that the dumbasses get.  It's not front page news.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

hell $15k is more than he walked into the place with
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#24]

People who rob banks are usually idiots, HEAT nonwithstanding.  

And McCauley didn't want to rob the bank, originally.  He said it was "the address to a cowboy score" until he heard about the circumvention of the alarms and the dollar amount.  Neil wouldn't just walk into any old bank and hit the drawers; in fact, he ignored the petty cash in both the armored car and the bank!  

I've got to watch Heat tonight, now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

The average haul is a lot less, something like 2K.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Cash is only recorded by serial numbers if its new money. Old mixed up bills are more common.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

-Troy

Unless youve got a fortune 500 corporation or large non-profit organization, I dont see that being very helpful to many people.  Id rather rob banks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#28]
You want a good haul?  Find a grocery store that cashes checks in a popular/busy location and wait until Friday.

How do I know this?  My wife used to work for a bank in a grocery store.  They didn't rob her branch but the grocery store.  Got about $30K in cash from the customer service desk and the front office.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Amateur: "OK, mothersticker! This is a fuck up! Put your ass in the air or I'll blow your hands off!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Far better places to take high amounts of money under 50k with less risk.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]
In the long run closure and conviction is close to 80% or better.   some guys can't stop hitting "just one more".

Probably close to about $2k in a till.  You need more, the teller goes back to get it.  Anything that slows things down is not good for getting in and out.  To get the big bucks in a bank you need to be violent and that gets the Feds and others involved real fast.

but like Willie Sutton said -
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Why do people still do it? Easy answer....

DRUGS and LOW I.Q.s.

I think I'll be a bank robber .

Adding up all the money I've taken in, then all the time I spend in federal prision after getting caught...

I think my hourly wage comes out to about 75 cents an hour.

At least I get $5.75 an hour and free hamburgers when I work at McDonalds.

Again, DRUGS AND STUPIDITY. There's your answer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top