Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 6:17:45 PM EDT
Anyone remember where you were?

I was listening to sports talk radio today.......

So many people don't remember.....Hell...Many werent' borne.

"Do you believe in miracles?!  YES!"

I guess I'm feeling old today.  It made me sad that nobody really cares about the Olympics....

Until I realized that I don't care either

Damn  I wish I could....Man....We used to be clustered around the TV.....Just transfixed, just rooting for the US.

I didn't even realize the Olympics started until today.

Deep....deep in my soul......I'm soooooooooo glad we beat those GD Russians though !!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I was really young but I REMEMBER........ WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't alive yet .

However, I've seen the documentaries on it and watched the Hollywood film. Damn good story all around!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I get a chill when i see the footage with herbie and hear those words. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I was 16 and USA hockey wasn't even on my radar. Jimmy Carter made us the whipping boy of every thug nation on the block. We were all so thrilled when we beat the Soviets when we should have been bombing Iran into the stone age.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in boarding school. Missed it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at home, watching the game, in Harrisburg, PA.  Followed that Olympics very closely.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I was 16 and played Hockey then. Was one of the times I have been proudest to be American. We were not supposed to have a snowballs chance in hell of doing much at all, much less WIN the GOLD.  

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wasn't alive yet .

However, I've seen the documentaries on it and watched the Hollywood film. Damn good story all around!

I was crying.......Man..We were going crazy man...I was a kid...We were in a friggin frenzy.

My wife was born like two years after me, and, when I see this stuff, I look back, and, she
's just watching it like....history....

It makes me feel like a kid every time I hear those words though...I want them repeated at my funeral
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh , I remember it very well.  I was playing hockey myself.  It was my life at that time.  I am always proud to be an American, but that day will always be special to me.

May God Bless America!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was three.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The Olympics went to shit when pro athletes were allowed to compete.  Since then, it has sucked!  Even worse now that you can't even trust the judges not to cheat or conspire to cheat, coupled with the financial dealings (bribes) needed just to host the games.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't alive yet .

I was crying.......Man..We were going crazy man...I was a kid...We were in a friggin frenzy.

My wife was born like two years after me, and, when I see this stuff, I look back, and, she

It makes me feel like a kid every time I hear those words though...I want them repeated at my funeral

It truly is such an amazing story. A bunch of college kids banding together to defeat a hockey team that had completely dominated and wrecked everyone they faced for the previous 20+ years. I truly wish I could have been alive to experience it. I get shivers just thinking about how awesome of a victory it was.

Herb Brooks was a goddamn genius. May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll take it to your graves, Your fuckin graves.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a HS Sophmore, it think it was a snow day, my dad was off that day and my other brother was also home so we were watching the game together. We all went nuts!! Good times
My chemistry teacher was a relative of Eric Heiden so he was also super hyped in the speed skating end.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
7 years old watching it on the boob-tube.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was a HS Sophmore, it think it was a snow day, my dad was off that day and my other brother was also home so we were watching the game together. We all went nuts!! Good times
My chemistry teacher was a relative of Eric Heiden so he was also super hyped in the speed skating end.

I couldn't believe it.

We weren't supposed to beat them.  People can watch the movie...(I haven't yet)......They'll never know.  No way we beat the Russians............

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I couldn't stop laughing.

I was SO into hockey for....Like...at least a day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Up at the cabin gathered around the radio.  No other appropriate animations so:

SRM
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't alive yet .

It truly is such an amazing story. A bunch of college kids banding together to defeat a hockey team that had completely dominated and wrecked everyone they faced for the previous 20+ years. I truly wish I could have been alive to experience it. I get shivers just thinking about how awesome of a victory it was.

Herb Brooks was a tough but a damn good coach, a true credit to the game and his Country

Luck was on the USA's side that day.   I bet the USA team could have played the Red Army Team a 100 times and not win another from them, even the best NHL all-star team would have a losing record against that team (that's how farking good they were).

Quite a few of that Soviet Team are in the Hockey Hall of Fame and two have huge balls of steel, Slava Fetisov and Igor Larionov stood up to the Russian Army trying to gain release to play in the NHL, they could have been sent to the Gulag's but the Russian Army backed down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't alive yet .

Herb Brooks was a tough but a damn good coach, a true credit to the game and his Country

Luck was on the USA's side that day.   I bet the USA team could have played the Red Army Team a 100 times and not win another from them, even the best NHL all-star team would have a losing record against that team (that's how farking good they were).

Quite a few of that Soviet Team are in the Hockey Hall of Fame and two have huge balls of steel, Slava Fetisov and Igor Larionov stood up to the Russian Army trying to gain release to play in the NHL, they could have been sent to the Gulag's but the Russian Army backed down.

No way in hell we should've beaten them

Makes it that much better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't alive yet .

No way in hell we should've beaten them

Makes it that much better.

Exactly. Like he said, we could have played them 100 times and lost 99 of 'em. However, all it took was that game, and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm looking forward to the Curling matches.  

Yes, I really am.

CJ

Tomorrow night according to the commercials!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm looking forward to the Curling matches.  

Yes, I really am.

CJ

brooms and a torque converter with a handle
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
That win and the Gold medal did more to put the country back on track than anything during the Carter years..... We got our pride back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That win and the Gold medal did more to put the country back on track than anything during the Carter years..... We got our pride back.

No joke man.

They were dark times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No joke man.

They were dark times.

+1 this country had a loser mentality
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I had no idea. The olympics didn't even register for me in 1980.

Too young to care, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had no idea. The olympics didn't even register for me in 1980.

Too young to care, I guess.

Narrow criteria on this one.  Mrs Goon is 35.  I'm 38.  She has NO
Idea why I just want to get up and, throw things around the room I'm so pumped
when I watch the end of that game.

Dude...All I can tell you......Imagine something that never could happen, that you could've never dream of happeneing in good faith.  Then imagine that happening.....

Then, imagine somthing twice as special as that happeneing....That comes CLOSE to that event as it was to me, and, every kid around where I lived.

It was a battle of the cold war.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I went to BU in 78 and 79. We used to go watch the guys practice 'cause it was free. I'm from ohio and didn't know squat about hockey. I guess they were pretty good though, huh?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I was 24 and we were still in the doldrums over Viet Nam. Unemployment I think was in double digits as Carter led us into the dumps. It seemed like our best times were past. Then the Miracle On Ice. We were all out buying shirts and hats with USA on them. It changed the nation as far as the feeling of being Americans again. We got back that cocky swagger. A few months after that, Ronald Reagan was elected and the resurgence came into full swing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Good grief, I was in Junior High. I remember that we didn't have a clue about hockey. But all of a sudden there was that last second tie with Sweden and all the boys took notice. Then all of the come from behind wins.  By the time the Soviet game rolled around, the hockey team was the discussion.

After beating the Soviets, I remember every kid in school was grinning ear to ear.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top