Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
Seems like there's quite a few being mentioned lately.  I've had one and seen four more:

Age 13, I was talking on the phone while cleaning a Sako .222 bolt action.  I wasn't paying attention and thought the mag was empty.  Popped it in, closed the bolt, pulled the trigger, and shot a hole in the window frame of my bedroom.  It was an exterior wall and the bullet didn't penetrate to the outside of the house.

I've seen two duty weapon NDs.  Both were in the clearing barrel.  The first was a brand new airman with an M9.  Really no idea how it happened, and I was so tired I don't even think I jumped.  The second was at the end of a 15 hour shift on a cold, miserable night in England where everyone had been working for two weeks straight without a day off.  An E-5 stepped up to the barrel, locked back the bolt, and called the chamber clear.  Clearing official also called it clear.  Guy got in line, turned it in to the armorer.  Armorer called it clear, released the bolt, switched it to semi and shot his barrel.  A round had "somehow" been chambered during the night and had not extracted when the bolt was locked back.  Three trained individuals who carried weapons every day looked right at it and missed it.

The next I've seen was in my apartment.  My roommate, who like me was an Air Force SP, was showing his new Sig 239 .40 to a buddy, another SP.  Buddy shot the floor with it, right in front of the couch.  We all ran downstairs to the apartment below.  The guy was home and was surprisingly calm about it.  Round didn't come thru his ceiling.

The last I saw was by another friend of mine who was NOT familiar with handguns.  In fact, he'd just gotten pissed off at me a week earlier because I said I didn't trust him with a handgun.  He was finger-fucking a loaded, holstered Ruger Bearcat .22 pistol behind me while we were shooting in my backyard.  He cocked it, tried to lower the hammer and let it slip.  Came VERY close to shooting me in the ass with a load of .22 birdshot.  

So, those are my ND stories.  I'm coming to view NDs as similar to a traffic accident in an automobile.  It's very easy to fuck up and kill yourself or someone else.  As long as you're not being truly reckless, however, they're usually just scary and embarrassing.  And, I'm coming to think, if you handle weapons long enough and under trying enough conditions, you're eventually going to hear a bang when you were expecting a click.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had one.

Seen one (.308 lever action with a scope sitting too close to the hammer. The guy's thumb slipped off while trying to lower the hammer.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had a DUPE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
closest thing to a ND I've ever had was at the range.

I did not have the barrel of my UZI installed correctly. was blastin off some hot NATO shit and had about 4 out of battery shots and one slam fire that hit the crete about 3 feet infront of me before I noticed the barrel was not in all the way
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have had a DUPE.

Shite.  I searched, I really did.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Never.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had one. I've been present when others did though.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I will tell you of mine, though embarrassing, so that others might learn from it.
I have fired tens of thousands of rounds and this was the only one.

I got an UZI SMG a few years ago. Fires from an open bolt. About the 4th time I had it out I took my son. Had some sort of problem, don't even remember what(nothing major, I think a jam due to mag) and had it pointed downrange. My son stood across from me on the other side of the weapon and after checking it, I wanted the bolt to go home. It will only do so if you pull the trigger. BANG!

Duh!

Even more embarassing as my son was right there and I am a real stickler for safety.  In all honesty, I don't think it would have happened if he weren't there and I wasn't rushing.  All due to the open bolt design which I am just not all that used to.

Blame though was totally on me as I really screwed up.  Never take anything for granted.
And a good example of why you must obey ALL the rules of gun safety.  In that event, if you screw up one or more you are still covered by the others.  Thankfully, I kept the weapon pointed downrange and that prevented injury to others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Not yet.

I could be the only one in my family who never has.

My brother has had 2, both while hunting both discharged in a vehicle.

My uncle had one when he was a kid, fired his shotgun into the roof after hunting.

I "think" my Dad had one when he was a kid also, I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
My only ND/AD was on the range shooting a series 80 colt .45.

I had installed a titanium firing pin and a wolf extra power firing pin.   Don't do both!  The firing pin rebounds while the cartridge is still under pressure allowing the primer to be pressed back into the firing pin hole in the breach face.  Upon ejection the primer metal is sheared off in the firing pin hole.  After a couple hundred rounds my 1911 was failing to fire when the hammer dropped.

I analyzed the problem and cleaned out the firing pin hole of the metallic debris.  To do this I worked the firing pin back and forth while holding down the series 80 firing pin button.  Well this will lock the firing pin forward if not carefull.  

The sad part is I saw the potential of the AD as the firing pin locked out would convert the pistol into "firing from an open bolt", and I said to myself, don't leave that pin locked out.

I shot maybe a hundred more rounds and had the same failure to fire problem again and cleaned out the firing pin hole again.  Shot another 50 or so and went through the cleaning drill agian.  Only this time I inserted a full magazine and dropped the slide with the firing pin locked out.  

I got a bang with the drop of the slide and saw the sand fly 7 feet in front of me.   After sayin Aw Fuk, I had a soda, disassemble the gun and went back to shooting.  The only mark on the gun was a small indentation on the firing pin where the series 80 firing pin block engages it.

That was about 8 years ago.  I remember it quite clearly to this day.  It's on my mind everytime I shoot.

SoS

For all you saying that I'm a jackass then remember if you shoot thousands of rounds a year, that AD is statistically a matter of time, whether from a brain cramp or mechanical failure.  Keep that shit pointed away from you and anything of value!  If you never have one, kudos to you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
came damn close when i was 17
I had a ruger  single six and a cowboy holster
I was quick drawing it and puling the hammer back never dropped the hammer did it 4 or 5 time
I then opened the gate and spun the cly , it was full
closest i ever came and never forgot it  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
winchester 30-30 when i was 12..caught the trigger w/ gloves on...learned my lesson...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Was at the range one night when this moron with a .308 TC ND'd into the ceiling and knocked out all of the lights.
Ironically, he was chastising the people on the lane next to him for "muzzling' him
when he pulled the trigger with the gun pointed straight up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
IBTTTWTTATSTHAND

(In Before The Tactical Turds Who Think They Are Too Smart To Have A ND)

ETA:  I only had one when I was ~12 playing with a pellet gun.  Forgot I had pumped it and pulled the trigger.  Luckily it only put a small hole in my wall.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
2, unfortuantely.

A pellet out of a 1000 FPS Crossman, into the kitchen celing.

While ridding my quad, I reached behind me to repostion my UltiMag that was slung over my shoulder. I must have grabbed the trigger, well I did grab the trigger, and bird shot exited the barrel about 2 feet from my head.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Not ashamed to say that I did.

Black powder rifle pointed in a safe location.

In my house unexpectedly.

Barrel buttered finger slipped on hammer over cap

while  getting ready for hunt.

Nobdy was hurt, because that wasn't a possibility because the gun was
pointed in a direction that would be safe if it did go off.

GM
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I blew a hole through my mattress at the age of 12 cleaning my .22 rifle.  My Dad then tanned my hide!  One could say that I learned my lesson, it has not happened sense then.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was at the range one night when this moron with a .308 TC ND'd into the ceiling and knocked out all of the lights.
Ironically, he was chastising the people on the lane next to him for "muzzling' him
when he pulled the trigger with th gun pointed straight up.

so, was he the only one he knew of professional enough in the room to...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]

When I was 12 or 13 I was settling in to the bags on a benchrest with the ol' 30-30 lever action and had the hammer back and finger in the trigger guard, it was pointed down range but it went off before I wanted it to.  I re-learned all of the years of dad's teachings in that split second.... KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE GD TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO PULL IT!!  Thank God it was pointed down range.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
AD only, not an ND... yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't had one yet.
Only a matter of time though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Haven't had one yet.
Only a matter of time though.

In the words of my Pops... 'there are only 2 types of shooters, those who have had an AD/ND and those who will'.

I know it's liable to happen... even though I am RATHER anal about gun safety.

David
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I had one about a year ago when I saw a SAW gunner.

My SAW had a worn sear (I didn't know it at the time, I was a rookie on the gun).  One time when I was at a live fire range I was correcting a malfunction.  Basically you just charge the weapon and start shooting again.

Well I jerked the charging handle back and slammed it forward like you're supposed to... but the sear didn't catch the bolt and lock it back, so when I slammed it forward the bolt went with it and chambered and fired a round.  It only fired one round... I was lucky I didn't end up with a runaway gun.  I was firing from a standing position, and pointed the weapon down when I was correcting the jam, so it just fired into the ground.  Luckily no one saw it..heh.  My ass would have been reamed even though it was a mechanical problem with the gun.

I definately learned something about PMCS and teaching a rookie gunner what to look for when you PMCS.  No one taught me shit about the SAW when I became the gunner, and I don't want this to happen to anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Seems like there's quite a few being mentioned lately.  I've had one and seen four more:

Age 13, I was talking on the phone while cleaning a Sako .222 bolt action.  I wasn't paying attention and thought the mag was empty.  Popped it in, closed the bolt, pulled the trigger, and shot a hole in the window frame of my bedroom.  It was an exterior wall and the bullet didn't penetrate to the outside of the house.

I've seen two duty weapon NDs.  Both were in the clearing barrel.  The first was a brand new airman with an M9.  Really no idea how it happened, and I was so tired I don't even think I jumped.  The second was at the end of a 15 hour shift on a cold, miserable night in England where everyone had been working for two weeks straight without a day off.  An E-5 stepped up to the barrel, locked back the bolt, and called the chamber clear.  Clearing official also called it clear.  Guy got in line, turned it in to the armorer.  Armorer called it clear, released the bolt, switched it to semi and shot his barrel.  A round had "somehow" been chambered during the night and had not extracted when the bolt was locked back.  Three trained individuals who carried weapons every day looked right at it and missed it.

The next I've seen was in my apartment.  My roommate, who like me was an Air Force SP, was showing his new Sig 239 .40 to a buddy, another SP.  Buddy shot the floor with it, right in front of the couch.  We all ran downstairs to the apartment below.  The guy was home and was surprisingly calm about it.  Round didn't come thru his ceiling.

The last I saw was by another friend of mine who was NOT familiar with handguns.  In fact, he'd just gotten pissed off at me a week earlier because I said I didn't trust him with a handgun.  He was finger-fucking a loaded, holstered Ruger Bearcat .22 pistol behind me while we were shooting in my backyard.  He cocked it, tried to lower the hammer and let it slip.  Came VERY close to shooting me in the ass with a load of .22 birdshot.  

So, those are my ND stories.  I'm coming to view NDs as similar to a traffic accident in an automobile.  It's very easy to fuck up and kill yourself or someone else.  As long as you're not being truly reckless, however, they're usually just scary and embarrassing.  And, I'm coming to think, if you handle weapons long enough and under trying enough conditions, you're eventually going to hear a bang when you were expecting a click.  

If you ever see me at the range make sure to warn me so I can run the fuck away!!!!!!  Never had a ND.  I've had the same thought as you, given enough time it could happen, but 4 - 5 times . . . and you're still young?!  What?  Are you going for a record?  Don't have children

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not yet.

That is my attitude.

It keeps me always thinking about safety.

I hope it never happens.....but I would be the dumbest sob on earth if I thought it could never happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I got ND in my name, and my dad told me I was his only ND.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#27]
No ND's.... yet

Been swept several times.  Always educate them on the error of their ways every time it happens.  There are a few ppl I Watch closely when ever I'm out with them.  One I'm very nervious around and seriously consider nerver shooting with them again every time I go out with them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Crap. 1/3 of yall have had a ND.  Good thing I don't know any of yall.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If you ever see me at the range make sure to warn me so I can run the fuck away!!!!!!  Never had a ND.  I've had the same thought as you, given enough time it could happen, but 4 - 5 times . . . and you're still young?!  What?  Are you going for a record?  Don't have children

Read it again.  I've had one ND, at age 13, and I haven't come close to having one since then.  I've seen four more, and I wasn't involved in any of them in any way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]

I've had one ND and one AD.  The ND occurred with a rented .357 revolver.  I had been shooting it double action, and decided to try it single action.  After cocking it, I was lowering it onto the target with my finger on the trigger when it discharged while pointed at 45 deg.  Fortunately no big deal.  But now when I see those holes and streaks on the ceiling panels at indoor ranges, I don't snort the way I used to.

The AD happened with a friend's highly customized Thompson Contender silhouette pistol in .300 Whisper.  I was shooting a match Creedmore style (lying on my back, barrel propped above my right ankle) and loading a round.  As I closed the action, BOOM!  Fortunately I was practicing good gun handling and while the muzzle was about 6 inches from my knee, it wasn't pointed AT my knee.
I really don't know what happened.  One hand was on the foreend, one on the butt, neither anywhere near the trigger.  Best guess is that I closed it too hard and the VERY light trigger or sear bounced.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Had one when I was a kid.

They were the result of being unfamiliar with the firearm and trying to be over-cautious rather than simply learning what I needed to know.

I was shooting an H&R .22 revolver loaded with ratshot.  We had some trouble with pests eating our dogs' food.  Dad had told me if I saw any to use the pistol.  

This was my first time ever using a pistol on anything other than a paper target.  My Dad had cautioned me about firearms safety.  I figured if leaving one chamber empty was good, two was better.  That way I would have to pull the trigger once to advance the cylinder and then again to fire  (Stupid I know, but I was young).  My second mistake was not realizing the cylinder rotated in a different direction than I believed.  So I get ready to shoot and I point the pistol in what I believe (3rd mistake) is a safe direction and pull the trigger.  The ratshot hit the side of our brick house (2 yards away), bounced off and hit me in my bare foot (fourth mistake).  So I spent the next 20 minutes using a pair of tweezers to pick ratshot out of my left foot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I haven't been shooting for as long as most here probably have, but, I've
been to some pretty shooting intensive classes and never had one.

Usually when I go to the range there isn't anyone else out there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I checked no, but some of your responces has made me wonder.

My first time shooting a 1911, I was not used to a light single action pull, so when I pulled the trigger on the first shot, my finger pulled the trigger again from the recoil and so my first shot wound up being a quick double tap.  On target, but the second shot was not intentional.

Would you call that an ND?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#35]
11 yrs ago I was cleaning a yamma 1911. I had it dissasembled, cleaned, etc. I put it back together, dropped in a mag and let the slide drop.

BOOM!

I had it pointed at the fireplace. The bullet went right through the fake marble and imbedded itself in the metal fireplace insert.

I had my finger off the trigger and I attribute it to the yamma malfunctioning.

The thing I learned is not letting the slide slam down like that anymore and to point in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#36]
When I was a kid with my dad'd Ruger .22 pistol. Luckily the only thing hurt that day was the truck windshield and butt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My first time shooting a 1911, I was not used to a light single action pull, so when I pulled the trigger on the first shot, my finger pulled the trigger again from the recoil and so my first shot wound up being a quick double tap.  On target, but the second shot was not intentional.

I would.
They had something on forensic files about a kid at a range who was shot when a guy shooting on the lower range had a double tap due to altering trigger.  Shooter was unaware it even happened but they tied the round to his weapon and were able to trace the path of the round.  FWIW, range was unsafe.  Kid's father will never be the same.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup twice...

Now I have one girl and one boy...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That one I classify as AD.(maybe the first I've ever truly though of as AD)

It was on target but not intentional.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Not yet, and I work like hell to keep it that way.  Seen a few though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#41]

i had just came back from the range w/ some poly mags and CRAPPY surplus ammo that gave me FTE/FTF all day long

i know that when i was at the range, i racked the slide TWICE

got to a friend's apt, was unloading the truck, had my finger on the trigger--dried fired it

put a crater in my buddy's neighbor's sidewalk

glad it was pointed down to the ground, glad no one was hurt

got rid of that crappy grey cased crap the same day
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I have never had one personally but I can tell a story.

About 4 years ago we were shooting at a local pit me and a buddy.  We happened to see some guys that we knew from school back in the day.  We were in a circle about 8 of us talking and this one guy pulls his gun to show another and BAMM (ND) shot was right in the center of the circle, luckily the bullet must have went into the dirt.

Fuckin idiots.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My SAW had a worn sear (I didn't know it at the time, I was a rookie on the gun).  One time when I was at a live fire range I was correcting a malfunction.  Basically you just charge the weapon and start shooting again.

Well I jerked the charging handle back and slammed it forward like you're supposed to... but the sear didn't catch the bolt and lock it back, so when I slammed it forward the bolt went with it and chambered and fired a round.  It only fired one round... I was lucky I didn't end up with a runaway gun.  I was firing from a standing position, and pointed the weapon down when I was correcting the jam, so it just fired into the ground.  Luckily no one saw it..heh.  My ass would have been reamed even though it was a mechanical problem with the gun.

I definately learned something about PMCS and teaching a rookie gunner what to look for when you PMCS.  No one taught me shit about the SAW when I became the gunner, and I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Your finger is not a worn sear.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#44]
With a handgun, I always put the safety on, remove the magazine, rack the slide to remove any rounds, rack it again, rack it a third time and lock the slide back, peek in the ejection port to make sure the breech doesn't contain a round.

With a rifle, I always put the safety on, remove the magazine, pull the bolt lever back, pull the bolt lever back a second time and hold it, I tilt it to make sure I don't see a round and I see light come through the barrel and breech.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your finger is not a worn sear.

That's not a BS story.  A worn sear on a SAW will fire without the trigger being touched, and since most firers are right handed, and you have to use your right hand to pull back the charging handle...

When you charge the weapon, pull the charging handle back, it pulls the bolt to the rear as well.  The bolt is held in the rearward position by the sear, and when the trigger is pulled it rleaseases the bolt to chamber and fire the round as it's an open bolt weapon.  Now, if the sear is damaged or worn (could be from people doing the light taps to fire single rounds) and it didn't hold the bolt back, and he shoved the charging handle forward fast enough, the bolt could easily have enough speed and force to fire a round.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top