Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
The 48 time is disallowed.......for traction control??? WTF???

I hope they ban his ass if it's true.

AND the front row BOTH look like they are in trouble.

NASCAR has found problems with Jeff Burton's engine and Jeff Gordon's car?

Anybody got updates on any of this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I could see ABS working in NASCAR but don't see how TC could help a lot.

IBTNB
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They busted Jimmie Johnson with TC??? If I'm not mistaken,this infraction is a lifetime ban from NASCAR.

Where did you get this info from ?I can't find anything on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I could see ABS working in NASCAR but don't see how TC could help a lot.

IBTNB

I don't see how it helps alot at Daytona but Traction Control would be a HUGE advantage at most tracks.

It's DAMNED suprising that anyone would have it at Daytona.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They busted Jimmie Johnson with TC??? If I'm not mistaken,this infraction is a lifetime ban from NASCAR.

It's supposed to be.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Source?

Nothing on NASCAR.com about it yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What exactly would haveing 'traction control' do and why isn't it allowed?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
www.jayski.com

Johnson's qualifying run disqualified: on Speed Channel's Victory Lane show, Bob Dilner reported that #48-Jimmie Johnson's Daytona 500 qualifying run has been disqualified due to an illegal traction control adjuster on the right rear of the car. Johnson had qualified 5th on Sunday with a speed of 188.762mph and the rear tires were rubbing and smoking during his run. So Johnson will not have his speed to fall back on if he has a bad run in the Gatorade Duel race on Thursday, but since he is in the top-35 2005 owners points, he is guaranteed a spot in the Daytona 500. Could be a fine and/or points penalty coming.(2-12-2006)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Enables the car to power out of corners without spinning the tires/losing traction.Why they used it at Daytona is beyond me..

ETA:I just looked for headlines on Jayski..Somehow I don't think this incident is the same thing as traction control..It would be front page on all the news sites.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Since, I don't  know  what  type of of  axle  do they  run  usually.  I wouold assume  they would lock  it, but if they can lock it why can't they have  some  type  of posi.  Are you talkinig about electric automatic style  TC like in a standard sedan?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, just checked Jayski.

Johnson's qualifying run disqualified MORE Burton and Gordon cars also being looked at: on Speed Channel's Victory Lane show, Bob Dilner reported that #48-Jimmie Johnson's Daytona 500 qualifying run has been disqualified due to an illegal traction control adjuster on the right rear of the car. Johnson had qualified 5th on Sunday with a speed of 188.762mph and the rear tires were rubbing and smoking during his run. So Johnson will not have his speed to fall back on if he has a bad run in the Gatorade Duel race on Thursday, but since he is in the top-35 2005 owners points, he is guaranteed a spot in the Daytona 500. Could be a fine and/or points penalty coming.
AND Jimmie Johnson qualified 5th on Sunday in Daytona 500 time trial runs. He has been disqualified. Johnson had an illegal off-set track bar adjuster in the right rear of that car. If you remember during his time trial run, the #48 was smoking out on the racetrack in the left rear. With this illegal adjuster, it boosted up the back glass and actually made the left rear rub a little bit so that time has been disallowed by NASCAR. There are a bunch of other issues in the garage area. In fact, some issues with the #31 team of Jeff Burton. That's right. Your Daytona 500 polesitter. Those issues have to do with the engine, and that's being hotly discussed in the garage area right now. In the media center after the Budweiser Shootout, NASCAR said it is researching several things from post-500 qualifying tech, including Burton's car as well as the #24 car of Jeff Gordon.(FoxSports), see qualifying results on my Daytona 500 Qualifying/Grid page.(2-12-2006)

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cup cars have almost 800 hp and drivers have to feather the throttle coming off the corner to keep from spinning the tires.

With traction control, the can just "mat" the trottle and not worry about spinning the tires.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
They evidently are not talking about computer controlled TC but some kind of mechanical piece.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a car that drives in circles, whats to get excited about?

If just once they drive the other way around the track I might tune in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It sounds like the 48 DIDN'T have ELECTRONIC TC so he may not get banned for whaterever shit Knaus had on the car.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It sounds like the 48 DIDN'T have ELECTRONIC TC so he may not get banned for whaterever shit Knaus had on the car.

I predict $50K driver fine,$125K crew chief fine,50 driver points and 50 owner points.Since he is Jimmie johnson,NASCAR won't suspend him for any races.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enables the car to power out of corners without spinning the tires/losing traction.Why they used it at Daytona is beyond me..

ETA:I just looked for headlines on Jayski..Somehow I don't think this incident is the same thing as traction control..It would be front page on all the news sites.

It seems that all y'all are talking about different things.

What is mentioned in the article is a single implement, an illegal traction control adjuster.  This is opposed to an illegal traction control system.  Single implement as opposed to a functioning system.

Yes, this is just a SWAG.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think you are right.

The first report was what is in my original Jayski post before Jayski updated.

It was a little misleading the way he first posted it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cup cars have almost 800 hp .

Not at plate tracks.

rj

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are right.

The first report was what is in my original Jayski post before Jayski updated.

It was a little misleading the way he first posted it.

Makes sense.A top tier team would not risk lifetime banishment for something like this...Now if it was one of the Bodine brothers,it would make sense.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
An illegal adjuster?  Jesus christ NASCAR's retarded.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
NASCAR has increasingly become sissified. All these new rule "For their safety". Not saying I want or need to see dead and injured drivers but the rules have become burdensome and ridiculous.

I know the TC rule has been around but I am mostly refering to the new rules that have come in the aftermath of Dale Earnhardt's death
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
NASCAR has increasingly become sissified. All these new rule "For their safety". Not saying I want or need to see dead and injured drivers but the rules have become burdensome and ridiculous.

I know the TC rule has been around but I am mostly refering to the new rules that have come in the aftermath of Dale Earnhardt's death

+ A Gazillion!!
It's getting less appealling each year for me. The restrictor plates make it more  dangerous,
and everybody knows it except the desk jockey morons that make the rules.
You could tell the Dale jr. & Tony Stewart wanted to speak out, but they knew they'd get penalized
and kept quiet. Someone's going to get hurt this year. I hope I'm wrong but with all those cars bunched up at 180mph it's only a matter of time.

Go Bill Elliott !!!
Too bad he's driving a chevy
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What rules specifically do you dislike and feel are "sissified"?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+ A Gazillion!!
It's getting less appealling each year for me. The restrictor plates make it more  dangerous,
and everybody knows it except the desk jockey morons that make the rules.
You could tell the Dale jr. & Tony Stewart wanted to speak out, but they knew they'd get penalized
and kept quiet. Someone's going to get hurt this year. I hope I'm wrong but with all those cars bunched up at 180mph it's only a matter of time.

Go Bill Elliott !!!
Too bad he's driving a chevy

You realize that Rusty Wallace did a test at Talladega without a restricter plate and ran over 220MPH.

Do you honestly thing that a 3300 lb stock car needs to be going that fast.

History has taught NASCAR very well, that cars that go over 200mph can easily end up in the grandstands. (see Bobby Allison)

What is your suggestion to this, if it isn't plates.......

I would like to see a solution, but we don't need the cars landing on spectators.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
As for JJ, he did not have traction control, he had an illegal offset track bar adjuster which affects the rear height of the car under load...that's why his tires were rubbing and smoking during his run.

No problems with the pole sitter's car...Jeff Burton will be on the front row Sunday.

The offet track bar adjuster is not  a banning offense, but certainly one that'll get your speed disallowed.

Something need to be done at Dyatona and Dega to make them handling tracks again...therefore the good cars can race and those that can't don't cause a 40 car wreck.

I agree with Tony Stewart...the way these cars are set up now combined with some of the complete IDIOTS that are masquerading as Cup drivers these days is gonna get someone else killed.

SG
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#26]
NASCAR will find an answer to all their problems.  Too much cash on the line not to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
NASCAR will find an answer to all their problems.  Too much cash on the line not to.

Capitalism ROCKS!

SG
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
It's hard to watch with Rusty retired.  Kurt Bush in the 2?  Man, that's like fucking your cousin:  entertaining, but not a good idea.

Next year we lose Terry Labonte, Mark Martin, Dale Jarret, and Morgan Shephard.  It just ain't the same now the Miller car ain't zipping around, trading paint with the vets.

Knaus simply has more money - not any better talent.  The rules have taken from the talent of the driver and left the mechanics in charge of who is going to victory lane, plain and simple.  Hendrick is no different.  

I was once the BIGGEST NASCAR fan!  But it's no fun anymore.  I'll watch it, but not with the interest and excitement I once had for the sport.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's hard to watch with Rusty retired.  Kurt Bush in the 2?  Man, that's like fucking your cousin:  entertaining, but not a good idea.

Next year we lose Terry Labonte, Mark Martin, Dale Jarret, and Morgan Shephard.  It just ain't the same now the Miller car ain't zipping around, trading paint with the vets.

Knaus simply has more money - not any better talent.  The rules have taken from the talent of the driver and left the mechanics in charge of who is going to victory lane, plain and simple.  Hendrick is no different.  

I was once the BIGGEST NASCAR fan!  But it's no fun anymore.  I'll watch it, but not with the interest and excitement I once had for the sport.

Pretty much sums it up...it'll do for entertainment,  but it pales in comparison to the days of DW, Bobby and Donnie, Neil, Dale Sr., Cale, David, King Richard and those guys.  THAT was racing.

SG
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I wonder how many other veteran drivers will follow Mark to the truck series next year?

Maybe it will become the NASCAR "Senior Circuit"?   know that's what I'll be watching next year, even if it's just Mark whipping up on a bunch of no names and has beens.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much sums it up...it'll do for entertainment,  but it pales in comparison to the days of DW, Bobby and Donnie, Neil, Dale Sr., Cale, David, King Richard and those guys.  THAT was racing.

SG

I really have to agree with y'all.

I always say that when Rusty was driving a black car(Miller Genuine Draft car)......there was some badass racing going on.
(that was when I HATED Rusty Wallace's ass....funny how things change)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Huh?  Chad Knaus is a crew cheif for one of Hendrick's teams.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder how many other veteran drivers will follow Mark to the truck series next year?

Maybe it will become the NASCAR "Senior Circuit"?   know that's what I'll be watching next year, even if it's just Mark whipping up on a bunch of no names and has beens.

I honestly hope it pans out that way, but I also like looking at the raw talent.  Try ASA or Winston West if you like driving, rather than millions in testing to decide the flames on the car need to be custom airbrushed, rather than standard decals to reduce drag.  

I shit you not:  Jeff Gordon was praising the findings of the aero shop for deciding that flames airbrushed, rather than decals, were more aerodynamical to the point they might shave 1/100th of a SECOND off their total 500 lap time.  How lame is that?  

Put 43 guys in cars, and let em go race.  Bullshit like aero decals, total car height violations AFTER you've jumped on the roof in victory, and un-capped amounts of money to spend on a team that uses 4 drivers to block for 1 to gain the win is just bullshit.  It really ruined NASCAR.

Oh, and let's not forget that the tobacco sponshorship sends a bad vibe to the young viewers.  But Bush, stopped right here in Phoenix, legally drunk, is allowed to race.    Go figure.

Well, at least I have the memories.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  Chad Knaus is a crew cheif for one of Hendrick's teams.  

Bad choice of wording on my part.  It should have said:

Chad Knaus has more money to spend in Hendrick Racing, and the money is buying Jimmy Johnson the victories, not Jimmy Johnson's raw talent.  Or, actually, WAS.  Kyle Bush is Hendrick's next poster child.  

When you have the money Hendrick does, it's not much wonder he dominates the circuit.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Nextel Cup racing is entertainment first, racing to rules a far second.

Restrictor plates are big WTF?, they might as well just run time trials and go home.  Either race, or stay home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

History has taught NASCAR very well, that cars that go over 200mph can easily end up in the grandstands. (see Bobby Allison)

I would like to see a solution, but we don't need the cars landing on spectators.

Turns.  Left AND right.  You know, a road course.  Oh, wait, that's not NASCAR.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense.....but if you think NASCAR is going to quit running at Daytona and Talladega, and replace those tracks with road courses.....you have lost your mind.

They LOVE their Super Speedways.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would LOVE to see stock cars actually go back to STOCK cars and do 90% road races!  That's where NASCAR got its roots, sfter all.  I watch the road races for the foot pedal cams and the one cam they have that never lasts in the short chute!  Now that's racing!  Watching them guys work two pedals with one foot, then alternate feet doing the same thing...  Now that is cool!

Daytona is boring.  People watch plate races only for the wrecks, just like they watch Jerry Springer for the made-up fights.  The more years go by, the more they try to entertain us with drivel, rather than entertainment.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
 People watch plate races only for the wrecks,  

Sorry that is such BS.

That sounds like the "just turns left" crowd.

No real fan wants to see a wreck because their favorite driver may be in it.

I'm sure there are some jackasses that want to see a wreck, but not the people who are really fans.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense.....but if you think NASCAR is going to quit running at Daytona and Talladega, and replace those tracks with road courses.....you have lost your mind.

They LOVE their Super Speedways.

No.  Sadly, we, as the spectators, have lost our minds.  Going fast is cool!  Going fast with a restricted engine, more rules than I've had beers in my life, and 1/3 great drivers, 1/3 ok drivers, and 1/3 nincompoops is just playing into the desires of the spectators to see a wreck.

Funny how Denny Hammlin hasn't won shit, but then you put him in a good car and he's the next Gordon, eh?  It's all about the mechanics on restricted ovals.  Who has the most money for testing and which team has the most cars decides the winner.  

Road courses are 100 times better than any super speedway, but I love the flat ovals like Bristol and Martinsville!  Now that there is some kick ass racing!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I love the flat ovals like Bristol and Martinsville!  Now that there is some kick ass racing!

You should stop while you are ahead.

Yes those tracks have AWESOME racing....but Bristol Motor Speedway has the steepest banking on the circuit. 36 degrees vs Talladega at 33
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 People watch plate races only for the wrecks,  

Sorry that is such BS.

That sounds like the "just turns left" crowd.

No real fan wants to see a wreck because their favorite driver may be in it.

I'm sure there are some jackasses that want to see a wreck, but not the people who are really fans.

I was talking advertising and popularity in that post, not people like you and me.  I fucking HATE wrecks!  Yellow flags are for football.  I like talent and competition - things NASCAR is lacking with their new rules and appeasement of the Jerry Springer crowd.  I do enjoy Daytona to a degree, just would like to see  more flat 1/2 mile ovals and road courses.  I need variety.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the flat ovals like Bristol and Martinsville!  Now that there is some kick ass racing!

You should stop while you are ahead.

Yes those tracks have AWESOME racing....but Bristol Motor Speedway has the steepest banking on the circuit. 36 degrees vs Talladega at 33

Too many beers.  I wanted to comment on flat tracks, but then started thinking Bristol.  Remember, I am a Rusty fan (or was ).  Short track racing is the shit.  I've been drinking too much to be posting, LOL!  

Sorry.  I'll shut up now and pop another cold one.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#45]
More road courses are needed instead of doubling up on the oval tracks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
More road courses are needed instead of doubling up on the oval tracks.

[popping another beer]

Isn't that what I just said?

Sorry.  Back to drinking.  I'm off on Mondays!  Of course, I am self-employed, so I can be off when I want!  Hmmmm, me thinks I need a day off tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'll pop another cold one.  

Have one for me brother.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have one for me brother.

Ya got it.  Working?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Nascar will be fun again when they go back to simpler rules, like these:

Your car must be based on a production model.   A defined percentage of the body must be production sheet metal.

You get 350 cubic inches to play with.  No more, no less.   No nitrous, no turbo, no blower.  Beyond that, do what you want to.  

Car must meet these safety standards. (Insert safety regulations here.)

No other restrictions.    Go crazy.

I'd watch that.  The auto companies would be COMPETING again.

CJ

+1

But you may want to put in a fuel restriction.  You dont want guys out there with 100gal fuel tanks or fuel hoses inside the car that can hold an extra 2 gallons by themselves (and that last one has been done before...).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have one for me brother.

Ya got it.  Working?  

No not working.....I'm like you I work when I want.

I'm pretty sorry so I usually go in, in time to check everything out and then go to lunch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top