Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:13 PM EDT
Don't lose your head.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060211/ap_on_fe_st/skull_in_luggage&printer=1

Woman Carrying Human Head Arrested in Fla.

Fri Feb 10, 9:41 PM ET

Airport baggage screeners found a human head with teeth, hair and skin in the luggage of a woman who said she intended to ward off evil spirits with it, authorities said Friday.

Myrlene Severe, 30, a Haitian-born permanent U.S. resident, was charged Friday with smuggling a human head into the U.S. without proper documentation.

Customs and Border Protection officials found the head Thursday, after Severe arrived at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on a Lynx International Airlines flight from Cap Haitien, Haiti, said Barbara Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Miami.

"It still had teeth, hair and bits of skin and lots of dirt," Gonzalez said.

Severe told authorities she had obtained the package in Haiti for "use as a part of her voodoo beliefs," ICE Special Agent Erick Hernandez wrote in an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint.

"Severe also stated that the purpose of the package was to ward off evil spirits," Hernandez wrote.

Severe, who also was charged with failing to declare the head and transporting hazardous material in air commerce, faces a maximum of 15 years in prison if convicted of all charges, prosecutors said.

Severe remained held Friday in lieu of a $100,000 bond. She is due back in federal court March 2.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
So, if I don't call dupe, do I still have to go look for the link to the other thread?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]

charged Friday with smuggling a human head into the U.S. without proper documentation

Out of curiosity, what would  the proper documentation be?

And honestly, while it was quite abnormal and certainly sick, why is this against the law?  As long as the person wasn't murdered or whatever, who cares?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, if I don't call dupe, do I still have to go look for the link to the other thread?

Kind of hard to search for this when the thread title for the first one is so damn descriptive.

hooray for multiculturalism
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I just dont know what to say......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of hard to search for this when the thread title for the first one is so damn descriptive.

Thats why I use the article title for the thread title
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats no way to get aHEAD in life!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dammit, how about you include news reports about the people in Phoenix and Tulsa and Detroit that were carrying around human heads too!

(sorry, inside joke there for team members)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That concept is very hard for some people to grasp.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That concept is very hard for some people to grasp.

Yeah, but I keep mentioning it anyway
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 dammit.  Just found it.  And you know, I scanned the forum to page 11 -- never thought that "hooray for multiculturalism" might be a dupe of it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436272

DUPE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
IBTL.  AGNTSA.  ()#(*U$)WQ(*#UR(WJFOSDJFOPSJKDF.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Post whore!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post whore!

+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
After living in Miami for six years this does not surprise me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Voodoo got her in deep doo doo
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh that voodoo, that you do, so well...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I will bet she doesn't do more than the time she spends in jail before the hearing.  Her defender will get the charges dropped on the basis that she is attempting to practice her religion and by stopping her we are violating her civil rights.

Why should we care if  she brings a head into the US?  Several nasty nervous tissue infections that I can think of, communicable after death (think BSE or Mad Cow Disease) and the fact that we don't want every flight from Haiti to smell like a bad day at the mortuary.  The fact that there is paperwork for this tells me that it is done, at least occasionally and maybe she is bringing back an old boyfriend?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Severe - what a great name for somebody with a severed head!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I think this would be related to cadavers being brought in as teaching tools for medical purposes. India is supposed to be the place to get you a top rate cadaver, skull, skeletal system, ect...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Just "The Man" keeping a sistah from gettin' a head in life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And we get thousands of idiots just like her into this state every year.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know what to say to that either.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know what to say to that either.....

Google her name and Miami Florida for her phone number.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Dupe--http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436272
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top