Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 2:44:34 PM EDT
Airman Shooting Goes to District Attorney

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press WriterFri Feb 10, 8:12 PM ET

The sheriff's department sent results of an investigation into the videotaped shooting of an unarmed Air Force security officer to prosecutors Friday, without a recommendation on whether to file charges against the deputy involved.

Sheriff Gary Penrod said the videotape "arouses a lot of suspicion" about what occurred, but he also said the tape is fuzzy and has gaps, so the complete chain of events is unclear.

Prosecutors will review the report and decide whether to charge Deputy Ivory J. Webb, district attorney's spokeswoman Susan Mickey said.

Webb, 45, shot Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, three times on Jan. 29 while Carrion was rising from a prone position.

Carrion had been a passenger in a Corvette that was involved in a high-speed, nighttime chase before crashing into a wall in Chino, about 35 miles east of Los Angeles. A resident, Jose Luis Valdes, videotaped the shadowy scene that followed.

On the tape, Carrion can be seen on the ground just outside the car's passenger door. Webb is standing nearby, pointing at gun at the airman, and a voice sounds as if it commands Carrion to get up. When the airman begins to rise, the deputy shoots him three times.

Carrion, who had recently returned from duty in Iraq, was wounded but has been released from a hospital.

"I've seen the video and I can only imagine the shock the family felt when they saw ... this video over and over," the sheriff said at a news conference. "He (Carrion) has our sympathy and we wish him a speedy recovery."

Since 2000, the San Bernardino District Attorney's Office has investigated about 120 officer- or deputy-involved shootings but hasn't charged an officer or deputy in a duty-related shooting, Mickey said.

"The only thing the family wants is justice and so far that hasn't happened in San Bernardino County," said Carrion's attorney Luis Carrillo.

The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation of the shooting.

Also Friday, the man who made the videotape surrendered to Florida authorities on an outstanding warrant charging him with assault almost a decade ago.

Court documents show that Valdes, 38, was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and aggravated assault against the elderly for allegedly pointing a gun at an elderly woman and a man during a dispute involving a vandalized car in 1997. The documents say Valdes threatened to kill both.

Valdes faces an April 24 trial. Valdes, a native of Cuba, denied the allegations and said he wasn't aware of the warrant until he tried to renew his alien registration card last week in California.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060211/ap_on_re_us/airman_shooting&printer=1;_ylt=A0SOwkcSx.9DmS4BNRtH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for sure
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm no brain doctor but if i was in a high speed pursuit and a cop had a bead on me i dont think i would get up.

What would have that MP of done if he had a haji layed out in Iraq and the guy tried to get up?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the justice system taking care of their own.  You know, I've never really been fond of cops.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering that the entire video has now been posted to several sites on the Internet, I find it very disturbing that the sheriff's department sent results of an investigation to the DA without a recommendation on whether to file charges against the deputy involved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i'm no brain doctor but if i was in a high speed pursuit and a cop had a bead on me i dont think i would get up.

What would have that MP of done if he had a haji layed out in Iraq and the guy tried to get up?

You would get up if ordered to by the cop who had a bead on you, which is apparently exactly what happened...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So you would lay there disobeying the cop?

What he would or would not have done in Iraq is irrelevent. It's a BS argument proposed by JBTA.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
why did the cop tell him to get up?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Since 2000, the San Bernardino District Attorney's Office has investigated about 120 officer- or deputy-involved shootings but hasn't charged an officer or deputy in a duty-related shooting, Mickey said

WW , you don't say.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top