Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 11:43:26 AM EDT
1.  Never tried it, but heard that you can throw the ground coffee in the pan of hot water, and when done brewing, break in an egg and it will cook to capture the grounds at the bottom, so you don't have to drink it through your teeth.

2.  In the mess decks, I'd see a couple of egg shells with the grounds in the basket at the top of the coffee urn.   That puzzled me, and even in the context of 1., I don't see why, unless they had cracked the egg into the urn, which you shouldn't need to do if there's a basket on the percolator.   Any ideas on that?  Maybe because there were no filters for the basket?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a coffee drinker, but I have always heard that some eggshell with the grounds improved flavor
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
clarity
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
clarity

In the pan or the basket?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called, or referred to as 'cowboy' coffee. .

As opposed to using a 'filter', simply drop or toss
an entire egg into the 'grind.' (shell included)

Egg coagulates, and works as a filter.

Especially good when fishing the 'St. Croix' river
between U.S. and Canadian soil.

Bear-meat burgers for breakfast, and fresh out-of-the-boat
bass for lunch. Some tater's as a side dish, remember to
bring along enough salt/pepper/ketchup.
Don't forget the onions!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't drink MUCH coffee, and had never heard the whole egg deal, but the shells in w/the grounds I HAVE heard, I think it cuts the bitterness, a bit of salt in the grounds works for that too. (I use salt) Like a pinch a cup. but used BEFORE perking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Egg (shells and whites in particular) work well in acting like a filter. It's used in consommes all the time (part of the "clearmeat") which helps filter out impurities and leaves a very clear liquid in the end.

How it works specifically in coffee, I don't know - I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
if making coffee over a camp fire in an old style percolator that is valid.l  Don't go dropping an egg in your Mr Coffee, sitting on the kitchen counter.  After brewing,  1/2 cup of very cold water poured gently in will settle the grounds equally well.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats ok, I like eggs and all but I'll just use a filter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Too much water vs ground coffee = bitter coffee.  Up the amount of ground coffee per cup of water until the bitterness goes away.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Chuck an egg into cowboy coffee the proteins in the eggw hite bind with the grounds under high heat thus  placing them on the bottom of the pot. Then stick a 16 penny nail into the pot (or a horseshoe if you've got one) and if it stands upright the coffee's done. If it sags then boil for another 5 minutes. When its thick as tar dump a lump of sugar into it, a shot of rye whiskey and drink it while you saddle your horse for the day.  Take a pinch for the afternoon and at night cut it into chunks to chuck at the coyotes skulking around the bunkhouse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top