Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 10:06:58 AM EDT
First off...my apologies to the majority of the forum who already know this.

But it is so common I frequently run into it, especially among new shooters, so I figured I'd address it for those who may not know. This is probably a Top Ten issue I deal with.

Usually goes something like this...

Someone brings in their former "pride and joy" and denounces it as a "POS Jam O Matic" which is usually accompanied by a long rant about how it won't work right out of the box, shouldn't NEED gunsmithing to make it work, etc. Most are pretty pissed that it is gonna cost money to make their NEW GUN work correctly.

And so far, in every case, it has been the same issue.

Sure enough I rub my finger along the bolt and it is the same factory packing / preservant that nearly every new rifle is shipped covered in to some degree.

And the magic cure all is...to clean it.

I know that seems obvious to most people but it never fails to amaze me just how many people don't figure it out. I think it comes from being in a semi urban area where people don't grow up with guns and start fresh in their early 20s with little or no guidance.

The thing is this, just because the gun "seems oily" doesn't make it clean or lubricated. The oily stuff factories put on guns to keep them protected while shelfed up to 10 years is a LOT different from the oily stuff you want to have inside a well maintined rifle. You have to think of this stuff like cosmoline lite. While not as thick as cosmoline it does many of the same things, including gumming up any rifle to the point it will fail repeatedly. This is because they are not lubricants.

So you have to clean that crap OFF and then use an actual lubricant like CLP (Break Free) on the moving internals.

So far that simple gunsmithing trick has fixed all the New In Box Jam O Matics I have run into. And it will save you the cost of paying someone to clean your rifle.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I have "fixed" plenty of guns owned by other people just by....Cleaning Them!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
So true...Yet so sad

Step 1. Clean IT...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My brand new Springer GI needed over 600 rounds, many thorough cleanings, and an extractor adjustment before it worked worth a damn. I'm still nervous about it's reliability, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
This will probably be the next paragraph etched on new firearms. Pretty soon they'll look like they were fancy engraved. compliments of the dumbasses.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]
My memory goes back to the first day on the range with our KATUSAs when we were issued brand new A2's.  The sound of the hammer barely tapping the firing pin with a small "tink" and the confused look on their faces were classic.  

Even more scary was when they finally cleaned them and got them working they started firing at the right range pole (Concrete filled steel).    
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I would just charge them the 1 hr gunsmith time to let it sit in a bowel of gun scrubber and then CLP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
And sometimes it's people who think they know better , but don't .

I witnessed a guy shooting an M1A . Every shot was splattering
his face with grease and failing to load a fresh round .

He was perplexed since he had read the manual and used grease
on the spots indicated . The problem was that he suffered from the
More is Better mentality .

After removing enough grease to do the wheel bearings on his
trailer , the gun functioned normally and he didn’t have to clean
his shooting glasses and teeth after every shot
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
That factory oil smells like cat piss
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Good point.  

I don't think I have ever shot a gun without cleaning and lubricating it first.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never had any problems firing any of my guns for the first time because I ALWAYS clean any new gun I buy before firing it.  Modern guns are super reliable, but still there is always a chance something could go wrong in the manufacture, so this cleaning also gives me a chance to do a cursory inspection looking for any abnormalaties and resolving them before wasting my time at the range.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Take note of this post future CMP buyers!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]

My first AR (my first semiauto rifle) was a jam-o-matic...until I noticed how sticky the bolt was. People are used to taking something out of the box and using it right away.

Go easy on them if they are new to the hobby, then laugh at them later.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top