User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:36:24 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,184599,00.html

Administration OK With UAE Running Six Major U.S. Ports

Sunday, February 12, 2006

WASHINGTON — A company in the United Arab Emirates is poised to take over significant operations at six American ports as part of a corporate sale, leaving a country with ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers with influence over a maritime industry considered vulnerable to terrorism.

The Bush administration considers the UAE an important ally in the fight against terrorism since the suicide hijackings and is not objecting to Dubai Ports World's purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

The $6.8 billion sale is expected to be approved Monday. The British company is the fourth largest ports company in the world and its sale would affect commercial U.S. port operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

DP World said it won approval from a secretive U.S. government panel that considers security risks of foreign companies buying or investing in American industry.

The U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States "thoroughly reviewed the potential transaction and concluded they had no objection," the company said in a statement to The Associated Press.

The committee earlier agreed to consider concerns about the deal as expressed by a Miami-based company, Eller & Co., according to Eller's lawyer, Michael Kreitzer. Eller is a business partner with the British shipping giant but was not in the running to buy the ports company.

The committee, which could have recommended that President Bush block the purchase, includes representatives from the departments of Treasury, Defense, Justice, Commerce, State and Homeland Security.

The State Department describes the UAE as a vital partner in the fight against terrorism. But the UAE, a loose federation of seven emirates on the Saudi peninsula, was an important operational and financial base for the hijackers who carried out the attacks against New York and Washington, the FBI concluded.

Sen. Charles Schumer, a Democrat whose district includes the New York port, urged the administration to consider the sale carefully.

"America's busiest ports are vital to our economy and to the international economy, and that is why they remain top terrorist targets," Schumer said. "Just as we would not outsource military operations or law enforcement duties, we should be very careful before we outsource such sensitive homeland security duties."

Last month, the White House appointed a senior DP World executive, David C. Sanborn of Virginia, to be the new administrator of the Maritime Administration of the Transportation Department. Sanborn worked as DP World's director of operations for Europe and Latin America.

Critics of the proposed purchase said a port operator complicit in smuggling or terrorism could manipulate manifests and other records to frustrate Homeland Security's already limited scrutiny of shipping containers and slip contraband past U.S. Customs inspectors.

"When you have a foreign government involved, you are injecting foreign national interests," Kreitzer said. "A country that may be a friend of ours today may not be on the same side tomorrow. You don't know in advance what the politics of that country will be in the future."

Shipping experts noted that many of the world's largest port companies are not based in the U.S., and they pointed to DP World's strong economic interest in operating ports securely and efficiently.

"Does this pose a national security risk? I think that's pushing the envelope," said Stephen E. Flynn, who studies maritime security at the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations. "It's not impossible to imagine one could develop an internal conspiracy, but I'd have to assign it a very low probability."

Changing management over the U.S. ports "doesn't offer Al Qaeda any opportunities it doesn't have now," said James Lewis, who worked with the U.S. committee at the State and Commerce departments. "It's in Dubai's interest to make sure this runs well. There is strong economic incentive to be sure these worries never materialize."

Flynn and others said even under foreign control, U.S. ports will continue to be run by unionized American employees. "You're not going have a bunch of UAE citizens working the docks," Flynn said. "They're longshoremen, vested in high-paying jobs. Most of them are Archie Bunker-kind of Americans."

Peninsular and Oriental and DP World set approval by the U.S. security committee as a condition for the sale. In regulatory papers, the companies said either the committee must agree not to formally investigate the purchase or Bush must not move to block the sale for national security purposes.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the FBI has said the money for the strikes was transferred to the hijackers primarily through the UAE's banking system, and much of the operational planning for the attacks took place inside the UAE.

Many of the hijackers traveled to the U.S. through the UAE. Also, the hijacker who steered United Airlines flight into the World Trade Center's south tower, Marwan al-Shehhi, was born in the UAE.

After the attacks, U.S. Treasury Department officials complained about a lack of cooperation by the UAE and other Arab countries trying to track Usama bin Laden's bank accounts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Did I slip into an alternate universe somewhere down the line?

I mean WTF is going on here?  "Dubai, UAE, just doing the managing and owning that Americans are unable or don't want to do..."

Sen. Charles Schumer, a Democrat whose district includes the New York port, urged the administration to consider the sale carefully.

and wait, is this the same anti-gun flake!  Could I possibly agree with him (although the way he puts it is an understatement)?

Holy Hell...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Although once a leader in world innovation, the U.S is one of the most ignorant countries on the face of the Earth, what's new. It is hard to believe it when you have something you agree with Chucky on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It's times like these when I'm completely convinced most of our leaders in washington go around with their heads stuck firmly up their a$$.They seem content to sell just enough rope to hang us with.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

and wait, is this the same anti-gun flake!  Could I possibly agree with him (although the way he puts it is an understatement)?

Holy Hell...

yeah, that's him.

he's just taking an opportunity to criticize President Bush.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I trust the UAE.
These ain't the Saudis.
Someone else will be along shortly to explain why the UAE is so badass.

That said - America's ports should be run by Americans.
I have nothing against the UAE - all good folks - but I would feel the same way if it was the English.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I trust the UAE.
These ain't the Saudis.

I have nothing against the UAE - all good folks - but I would feel the same way if it was the English.

lol, the company doing the selling is based in London.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I trust the UAE.
These ain't the Saudis.

I agree on both points, the UAE has positioned themselves as "trusted brokers" in the ME, sort of a Swiss-like identity.  Dubai is one of the biggest business hubs in the world, similar to Hong Kong (at least in pre-commie days).  I'd rather see US ports owned and operated by US companies as well, but its not really much different than Daimler/Chrysler or any other major international conglomerate.  It's not like the ports won't be subject to US laws, oversight, and regulation.  We think that because a middle eastern company owns the facilities they will less terrorists sneak in bad stuff or what?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
We are selling and outsourcing everything. This sux!
The whole planet pimping the whore we call the USA.
Washington, Jeffferson, Monroe etc. doing MASSIVE cartwheels as we speak
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
...and China has the Panama Canal...

Lovely
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lovely

And doesn't China control Long Beach, CA as well?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a good starting point for a nuclear 9-11.

Thanks, GWB. Let the Mexicans have their way with our southern border and let potential terrorists run the ports.

Scott

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't let them fuckers own anything here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is wrong.  Damned wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is wrong.  Damned wrong.

reminds me of the Japanese taking pics of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii just before WWII.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Schumer translation: give me more Arab kickbacks and I'll back-off complaining.

You'll notice the Dems didn't have any complaints when it was the Chinese taking over our ports and the Panama Canal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Lovely

IIRC China also owns a port in Long Beach, CA.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Chuckie and algore don't appear to be on the same page here....hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#19]
United Arab Emirates firm to operate six major U.S. ports

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Monday, February 13, 2006

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration has approved a deal in which a United Arab Emirates company would operate six major ports in the United States.

A U.S. government panel has determined that the UAE firm, DP World, would not endanger national security.

DP World, based in Dubai, has offered $6.8 billion for the purchase of a British firm that operates the ports of Baltimore, Miami, New York, New Jersey, New Orleans and Philadelphia.

DP World intends to acquire the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation [P&O] Co. The sale was expected to be approved on Monday.

"The P&O directors have withdrawn their recommendation of the offer by PSA, which was announced on Jan. 26, 2006, and unanimously recommend that P&O Stockholders vote in favor of the revised proposals at the meetings, which are now scheduled to take place on Feb. 13," DP World said in a statement.

The company said the U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States "thoroughly reviewed the potential transaction and concluded they had no objection." The committee includes representatives from the departments of Treasury, Defense, Justice, Commerce, State and Homeland Security.

The United Arab Emirates has been described as a leading military ally of the United States. In 2005, the UAE acquired the first 10 of 80 F-16E/F Block 60 multi-role fighters in a $6.4 billion purchase.

But officials said the UAE has not fully responded to repeated appeals from the Treasury Department to halt money-laundering activities exploited by Al Qaida and aligned groups. They said that for years Dubai served as a base for Al Qaida operatives, including those who destroyed the World Trade Center and a Pentagon wing in 2001.

"America's busiest ports are vital to our economy and to the international economy, and that is why they remain top terrorist targets," Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat, said. "Just as we would not outsource military operations or law enforcement duties, we should be very careful before we outsource such sensitive homeland security duties."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Tomorrow's headline:

Vicente Fox Appointed Head of INS
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Well maybe the next time those union guys go on strike, shutting down the docks, they will bring in scab ragheads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

a big +1

BTW hitlery and shoemer WANT the USA to be taken over by the chi-coms.  hitlery and shoomer worship mao.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

what is good for the goose is good for the gander, our companies own ports in foreign countries, only fair that they should be allowed to own some of ours.

Plus, the UAE is hardly a "muslim" country; they understand the way the West works, and love it. Allah is not their god, money and power is, we have nothing to fear from them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tomorrow's headline:

Vicente Fox Appointed Head of INS

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
This is all the fault of the Left!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is good for the goose is good for the gander, our companies own ports in foreign countries, only fair that they should be allowed to own some of ours.

Plus, the UAE is hardly a "muslim" country; they understand the way the West works, and love it. Allah is not their god, money and power is, we have nothing to fear from them.

Two of the 911 hi-jackers were from UAE.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#28]
COSCO tried to buy the Long Beach port and the former Long Beach Naval Shipyard, they didn't get the shipyard but they did get a multi-year contract to manage certain areas and aspects of the Port of Long Beach.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Bad juju.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim McVeigh was an American, and a Christian.  Must mean all Bible thumping Americans are terrorists, right?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Tim McVeigh was an American, and a Christian.  Must mean all Bible thumping Americans are terrorists, right?

Sorry, but I can't let you try to sell that BS.

Tim McVeigh was no Christian.

A Chrisian is someone that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Tim was not following the teachings of Jesus when he murdered those people.

Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a big +1

BTW hitlery and shoemer WANT the USA to be taken over by the chi-coms.  hitlery and shoomer worship mao.  

Duh ! This is a REPUBLICAN administration doing this.
Off the meds again ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well maybe the next time those union guys go on strike, shutting down the docks, they will bring in scab ragheads.

No "raghead" as you understand them will do menial labor. Look how the population of most Arab countries is 90% male Pakistani. The "raghead" cannot callous his hands with honest work, since he is a blessed of Allah, work is beneath him, but nepotism and cronyism and some amount of buggery are the name of the game.

That being said, the residents of the UAE are SHREWD businessmen. They give the Wall Street guys a run for ruthlessness. They aren't in it for religion, I'm almost 100% sure. They are greedy motherfuckers like everyone else. That I can understand and deal with.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone else have a vison of a fat man getting on his knees after handing a stranger a broken broom handle?

I have to wonder what they are thinking.  Remember the Egyptian Airline Pilot or Copilot that got "religion" and deliberately crashed his planeload of passengers into the ocean?  I think of that kind of person looking for redemption from his god sending us a special conex that won't have copper pots in it.

I have nothing against muslims, just very wary of the bastards in thier ranks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not worth it.
Just leave the Keyboard Krusaders be.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lovely

You don't, they don't.

this makes the 489th time the sky has fallen this year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lovely

You don't, they don't.

So, the China Overseas Shipping Company, COSCO doesn't have a substantial
interest in the Port of Long Beach?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but I can't let you try to sell that BS.

Tim McVeigh was no Christian.

A Chrisian is someone that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Tim was not following the teachings of Jesus when he murdered those people.

Give it a rest.

He even said in one of his last letters that he was "at best an agnostic."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#39]
The "Doobie Brothers" own 2 big horsefarms between Frankfort and Lexington Ky,show up in their customized 747 SPs during horse sales and Keeneland.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention that the UAE's official stated position is that the Taliban is still the legitimate government of Afghanistan. Throw in the fact that they refuse to recognize Israel as a sovereign state, and that they are currently seeking to expand their trade relations with Iran, and you will have to forgive me if I don't see this as the greatest idea ever hatched.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lovely

You don't, they don't.

So, the China Overseas Shipping Company, COSCO doesn't have a substantial
interest in the Port of Long Beach?

Umm NO.    they have one of probably about a dozen container terminals between the Ports of Los Angelesand Long Beach.  About half the Pier T area

www.polb.com/facilities/maps/default.asp

www.portoflosangeles.org/facilities_map.htm

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#42]
WTF is wrong with the leadership of this country?

Clinton sold us out to China and now Bush sells us out to the terrorists.

unfucking believable!!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Its a plan to help out the Chinese invasion force thats hiding in Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

FYI it WAS the English.  The UAE is purchasing an English firm that already runs the ports.

This has been an issue on local talk radio in Baltimore for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump, because this is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#46]
And the hits just keep on coming...

UAE & Palestine to set up a joint investment firm.

I think it's INSANITY to let a business partner of Iran & Hamas run our strategic ports of entry!

The fact that Pres. Bush does not see this as a problem makes me question his competency, intelligence & loyalty.

Sorry, but it does.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
And the hits just keep on coming...

UAE & Palestine to set up a joint investment firm.

Sorry, but I think it's INSANITY to let a business partner of Iran & Hamas run our key ports of entry!

The fact that Pres. Bush does not see this as a problem makes me question his competency, intelligence & loyalty.

Sorry, but it does.

jeeeeze, I can't wait til they are running our ports now.

let's all give an atta boy to the leadership of this country.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Our current administration needs to be consistent in its commitment to fight terror.  President Bush, after 9/11, gave a speech saying that you were either with us or with the terrorists.  The UAE has been laundering money for Al Qaeda for years, among other things.  Now, the administration is signing over control of our busiest ports to a company in a country which according to Bush's definition is "with the terrorists".  Someone needs to pull some folks aside and point out the obvious problem here.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a little surprised that more folks around here aren't outraged at this news.

What gives???
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Everyone knows that Port Security, Customs, etc etc will still be run by Homeland Security, right?

And that the folks actually at the ports will be the same Americans that are currently employed by the  Britain based company, right?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the only thing actually in the UAE is a post office box, and a bank account....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top