Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:26:56 AM EDT
Continuation of my original post about my wife's Honda CR-V...

Here is the orignal post
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435352

I went to Auto Zone yesterday and got (rented) the ODB2 scanner and this morning I read the code from the car.  The code I got was P0441 EVPA Emission Control System Purge Flow Fault.  So what does that mean?  Is this something serious or is the car just having problems farting?

Forget it or take it to a mechnic?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
More than likely your gas cap is/was loose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
simple - low on rice
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Purge Solenoid inop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If autozone rents the tool they probably have the code book.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If autozone rents the tool they probably have the code book.

The code is P0441 which means "EVPA Emission Control System Purge Flow Fault" but what does than mean?

BTW wife said she filled the gas tank earlier that day so now I'm thinking loose gas cap?.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The purge valve is on the EVAP canister. Probably a black canister under the hood. The valve should open when 12V is applied. It could be as simple as corroded contacts or you may need to replace it. Test it, it may be hard to find.

FYI they are OBD2 codes (on-board diagnostics) not ODB. also the fault code is an EVAP not EVPA code.

ETA the is a special code in hondas for a loose gas cap. There are also codes for different levels of leak, but this code generally means that the valve isn't functioning.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A loose gas cap would give a P0442 or so code..gross leak in evap system......you have a possible bad evap solenoid.   kill the code and drive....see if the code returns....if not...call it a momentary lapse of reason, if the code returns, replace the evap solenoid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
From some diagnostic software:

EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS & OBD2 On 1996 and newer vehicles, the OBD2 system monitors the fuel system for fuel vapor leaks to make sure no hydrocarbons are escaping into the atmosphere.

The EVAP monitor does two things: it verifies there is airflow from the EVAP canister to the engine, and that there are no leaks in the fuel tank, EVPA canister or fuel system vapor lines.

The OBD2 EVAP monitor runs once per drive cycle and only when the fuel tank is 15 to 85% full. The EVAP monitor uses a "purge flow sensor" to detect leaks as small as .040 inches in diameter on 1996-99 models, and as small as .020 inches on most 2000 and newer vehicles.

If OBD2 detects a leak when it runs the EVAP leak check, it will set a fault code in the P0440 to P0457 range.

A loose or missing gas cap can trigger an EVAP fault code, as can a faulty purge valve or leak in the fuel tank, EVAP canister or hoses. Finding small leaks can be difficult, so special tools may be needed. These include an ultrasonic leak detector or a system that uses smoke and dye to reveal the leak point.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]
From what everybody is saying this is not something that will make the engine explode if it isn't taken care of immediately.  It may even be something minor as loose cap.  

How can I reset the warning light( make it go off) to see if the problem continues and make the warning light come back on?  Is there a simple botton I can push to make the light go off?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The scanner should have a function to reset the code and turn off the light.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
No...the light has to be shut off with a scanner. If there is in fact a "hard code"  or an actual malfunction the light will come back on, on it's own.

On a Honda CRV, I believe the purge canister and solenoid are on the underside near the fuel tank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
My parents have a 2000 Civic and the same code appeared about , ohhh 3 years ago. Told dad to replace the purge valve but he never did. They have been driveing the car now for 3 years.It is not a problem that will cuase you to break down, and more than likely will show zero  negative driveability issues. Replace it when you can and be done, but its not critical unless you live in a E-check state..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No...the light has to be shut off with a scanner.

disconnect the battery. wait 30 second. reconnect. voila..... MIL is out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top