Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:02 AM EDT
OK, as some of you know, I was recently unemployed.  Well, I started a new job with Marten Transportation last week.  Anyone driving a truck will love this company.  My starting pay is 20% higher than I was making at the previous company.  Benefits are awesome (med, vision, dental and life insurance, 401K and stock options).  They put me in a 2006 Pete 387.  I mean, everything is awesome.  Now, I won't deny that there are a few things I don't like. The log books that they use are a bit of a pain in the*.  The trip reports are also a bit more of a pain, but all in all the benefits greatly outweigh those 2 little nuisances.  Of course, once I get used to their paperwork, that will no longer be a problem either.  Pictures of the truck will follow as soon as possible.  Anyway, I am one extremely happy camper right now!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you.

I too, started a new job at a higher wage and superb benefits after a year of unemployment (note my post count).

Here's to us
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I miss TN too.  I am currently living in southern IL.  At least in FL, you have nice weather (sans hurricanes) and decent gun laws.  I can't even buy a box of ammo in this state without a firearms owner ID.  What a crock of unconstitutional shit!!  But, things are looking up.  Plans are actually ahead of schedule and I will be moving to NV some time this year.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i am  currently hoping for a job opportunity in my home town.  i don't  know how it  will pan out, but I hope  to be  offered it.   Congradulations n your recent  hire.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i am  currently hoping for a job opportunity in my home town.  i don't  know how it  will pan out, but I hope  to be  offered it.   Congradulations n your recent  hire.

Can you drive a Semi?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I drove a bluebird truck for Randy before I started driving for my current company
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I drove a bluebird truck for Randy before I started driving for my current company

Why'd you leave?  Everything here looks great.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know why the "grass is always greener" on the other side of the fence?

Because it sits on top of the septic tank.  And you know what that is full of!

I only heard once about Marten, and that was not to run for them.  Of course, that was like 9 years ago from an old crusty driver.  Did he have a clue what he was talking about?  I dunno.

Glad you found a company.  Just remember one thing about that beeg shiney Petercar...

"Chrome don't get you home!"  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations on the new job.   Being unemployed sucks, but makes getting a good job so much sweeter!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of curiosity, how much Class A experience do you have? What kind of training did you take to get your CDL? (company paid training vs. a school)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how they are currently; I quit almost 6 years ago.

But when I drove for them:
they expected you to have a clean truck, but they wouldn't wash it or pay for a truck wash, you you had to either wash the company's truck yourself, or pay for someone to do it
For every load you picked up they reimbursed $1.50 for getting the truck weighed to make sure it was legal. It cost $7-8 to scale out.
The Ontario terminal took 3 days to service my truck
Owner-operators could refuse loads if they didn't like them. I was a solo company driver (forced dispatch), so it seemed that I wound up with the crappy loads that were left after owner-operators got good loads, and teams got high-mileage loads.
When I went home I had to drop off my trailer at a drop lot, and when I headed back out, I had to go to the drop lot to pick up a trailer. About 75 miles each way (unpaid).
$8/hour to do local work
28cpm with 4 years experience
Grocery warehouses SUCK. I now pull dry vans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how they are currently; I quit almost 6 years ago.

But when I drove for them:
they expected you to have a clean truck, but they wouldn't wash it or pay for a truck wash, you you had to either wash the company's truck yourself, or pay for someone to do it Wash bays at all the terminals and I prefer to wash the truck myself any way
For every load you picked up they reimbursed $1.50 for getting the truck weighed to make sure it was legal. It cost $7-8 to scale out. I have only had to weigh 1 load which makes me $3 ahead
The Ontario terminal took 3 days to service my truck Can't say anything yet
Owner-operators could refuse loads if they didn't like them. I was a solo company driver (forced dispatch), so it seemed that I wound up with the crappy loads that were left after owner-operators got good loads, and teams got high-mileage loads. Have had plenty of mileage.  The only short run was when I would be short on hours, but they could keep me doing something.  All others have been at least 900 miles
When I went home I had to drop off my trailer at a drop lot, and when I headed back out, I had to go to the drop lot to pick up a trailer. About 75 miles each way (unpaid). I have a place to take my trailer w/ no drop lot close by.  I get to take it home
$8/hour to do local work Don't know yet
28cpm with 4 years experience 39cpm with 9 years(60 months and up)
Grocery warehouses SUCK. I now pull dry vans.Grocery warehouses also get dry loads, I can haul dry loads, but you can't haul reefer loads which makes it easier for me to get a load.  Have not gone to any grocery warehouses yet

Quoted:
"Chrome don't get you home!"

It's a 387 peterbubble.  The only chrome is the grille (and aluminum wheels which I still need to polish)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like it's going well for you.

Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top