Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:54:25 PM EDT
(Also posted in hall of heroes, but I figured it will get a lot more traffic here)

I'll be graduating next year with a degree in mechanical engineering and don't want a typical engineering desk job.

Eventual career goals include federal law enforcment. I was thinking the military would be a good way to get the experience needed for that level, so I was thinking about OCS.

I was thinking about either intelligence or engineering corps?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Go talk to a recruiter and search sites like this.

IIRC, you are given your "job" (I don't know the proper Army name), but are allowed to trade later.  It was something like 75% combat arms with everyone wanting intelligence.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you the one who posted this on a couple of military discussion boards?  

Nope, arfcom is the only site I frequent. What other sites has this been mentioned on? Those would definitely be good resources. I stick to the site I know though...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

IIRC, you are given your "job" (I don't know the proper Army name), but are allowed to trade later.  It was something like 75% combat arms with everyone wanting intelligence.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure Army and Marines is an "MOS", Navy is a "Rating" and Air Force is an "AFSC".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure Army and Marines is an "MOS", Navy is a "Rating" and Air Force is an "AFSC".

For Officers?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I can only tell you what my one son is doing. He is third year Chemical Engineering at Vandy. He is thinking Navy. The only rate for him in the Navy with his degree  is Nuclear Propulsion. Do a google on NUPOC. That is the nuke propulsion officer candidate shcool. When you sign on the line you get a check for 12K. Then a paycheck  at E7 rate. When you graduate you go to Pennsacola for OCS. Then 12 months  nuke school. Only drawback is if you drop out of nuke school they still have your ass for 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Might want to check out this site:  www.ocsfoundation.org/candidate_services.html

The AF would love to have you, they think every AF officer needs an engineering degree, regardless of applicability.  Can you pass a class 1 flight physical, good eyesight, ever want to be a pilot? www.afoats.af.mil/index.asp
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Go for it.  The experience will make a better man.  I went to OCS, and have a few friends that have gone the same route as you.  Military then, law enforcement. FBI/ Secret Service.  But be warned, there will be a significant decrease in salary when you leave the military to be an FBI agent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top