Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:46:45 PM EDT
I’m off to Columbus, GA next week on business. Any good bars, gun shops, etc, to check out?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The military museum.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The military museum.

+1 Go to the Infantry museum on post you will love it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from Victory Drive!!!! For your own good
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And why would that be?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Victory Drive is the 42nd ST. of Columbus.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Go play in Taxman's fort.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And why would that be?

Well, for starters, there's hookers, drugs and gangbangers everywhere. This is especially true regarding alot of the urban gangs. No, I'm not joking. I'm actually serious. There's parts of columbus that are pretty safe and respectable but there other parts where I wouldn't go unless I absolutely had to and, preferably, armed. South columbus is considered the "rougher" part of town whereas north columbus is more upper middle class and a good bit safer. There's also some good restaurants located in north columbus, as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW, if you have the time, check out "shooters" gunstore on milgen road. It has an indoor gun range and it's a good place to go if you want to blow off some after work steam.

As far as restaurants are concerned, there's a good many located along veterans parkway in north columbus.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The military museum.

+1 Go to the Infantry museum on post you will love it.

+ 1

The Infantry Museum at Fort Benning is a must see.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nationwide Pawn has a decent selection, but the store is really cramped. There are some cool stores on or close to Victory Drive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go play in Taxman's fort.

Taxman lives over in the Augusta/ Ft Gordon area.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You're in luck.

There's an exciting new restaurant called
"Charlie Bahng's" It's a theme restaurant.
This is their third. There is one in New York
and another in Golden, Colorado.

You wil be seated on a hand woven wicker stool.
Your table will be brought to you. It will either be a
miniature horse or an alpaca. The table's top is strapped
to the back of the animal. They have been trained to stand
perfectly still throughout the meal.

Your human server's assistant will be a chimpanzee. One is
assigned to each waiter and they are a show unto themselves...
Worth visiting just to see them work.
The chimps are perpetual motion and do just about everything short
of actually serving the food.

You will be warned not to tip them. They are trained throw rolls at
tippers.

The cuisine is north african/turkish.  Food is excellent. PETA hates the place
and has picketed the on in New York.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to shooters on Milgen rd here's their website:

http://www.shootersofcolumbus.com/

Go to the museums. I've never been there, but I hear they are GREAT.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET ROBBED/KILLED/SODOMIZED , STAY THE HECK OFF OF THE SOUTH END, AT LEAST AT NIGHT!!!!

I was a beat cop there a decade ago (oh, where does the time go???) and I still have friends there on the job. It's OK near the interstate during the day, especially Ranger Joe's http://www.rangerjoe.com/  and you should go there, too. But Having seen what I saw on the south end for a couple of years, there is NO WAY I would not be armed there. THere are good people there, but the pukes are everywhere! Then again, being a paranoid cop, I go armed EVERYWHERE.

On the north end, there are some good shopping centers way up Veterans Parkway (4th avenue). pick up the significant other some stuff, and relax a while.

IF you have time, you may want to drive up to Callaway Gardens http://www.callawaygardens.com  But if you're on a business trip I doubt you'd get that far up or have enough time to do anything there, you could at least drive up to Pine Mountain and see the overlook on HWY 27. Prettiest part of this country, IMO.

You ARE NOT PERMITTED to come to Columbus unless you eat at Country's BarBQue.  Nearly everyone there can tell you where it is, but the one up veterans parkway across from LOWE's is where I go.

If you want to eat some REAL HONEST TO YOUR MAMA southern food, go to the Bulloch House in Warm Springs.  http://www.thebullochhouse.com/  I have to pace myself when I go there. The fried green tomatoes are just like old times!! It is REAL southern cooking.

Don't know about the bar scene, not into it.

If you are into rivers, the riverwalk downtown is pretty cool, but if you go fishing buy a license, or one of my buddies may lock you up!! It costs a few dollars for a one day license, not worth the hassle for getting caught.

If you have any more ??'s, ask here or IM me.

What hotel are you staying at and where??

Greenranger

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top