Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 2:01:31 PM EDT
Ok

I have a DSL modem set up on my PC, the modem is a Westgate 6100. The DSL modem is connected to the PC via one of the network cards. The PC has two netwrok cards. I also have a wireless router, it's a linksys WRT54G.

I want to share the DSL connection wirelessly with my wifes laptop PC. The laptop has a 802.11g wireless network card built in.

What is the most secure way to share my internet connection with what I have?

Before I had the modem hooked up to the PC with USB, then I bridged the modem to one of my network cards. That network card connected to the wireless router, which was acting like a wireless hub.

This worked, but I don't think it's the best way. I fiddled with the set up and now I can't get that method to work anymore.

So what is the best way to do this and how do I do it?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say 64 or 128 WEP encryption. Turn off your broadcasting on the wireless routers firmware and restrict usage to entered Mac codes. i.e. go in the firmware and enter the MAC codes of any and all of the equipent you want to have access to the network.

Please take this as my simple  suggestion. It's something I did. I'm VERY sure there are a LARGE number of people on here that will tell you different. That's just what I did and it works for me.!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Connect the modem to the WAN port on your router.
Connect your desktop to one of the LAN ports on the router.
Configure Router/laptop to work wirelessly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I hate to burn post 1K on this but what the hell

I have tried to do that, but for the life of me I can not get the router set up. I can't get it to connect to my ISP.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The best way to troubleshoot network issues is to break it down into it's smallest parts.

Verify the DSL works without your other stuff

Verify all the cables work.

Then reload all the software and test one at a time.

If all else fails call the Help folks.

You'd be surprised how well some of the ISP's help guys can fix you up.

Right now I am running the DSL. Thats how I have been posting.

I just cant get my router to connect, if I use the WAN port.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have tried to do that, but for the life of me I can not get the router set up. I can't get it to connect to my ISP.

Every network device (router, modem, network card) has a MAC address that is unique to it. Your ISP uses the MAC address to identify you and make sure you are allowed to receive their service. Your ISP is seeing a different MAC address (the router) than it used to (the modem) and is preventing it from connecting. You will need to call your ISP and tell them that you bought a router and need to update your account information. I'm not to familiar with your router but I do know that most Linksys routers can clone a MAC address. This way your ISP thinks that your router is actually the modem, no need to call them and update your information.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every network device (router, modem, network card) has a MAC address that is unique to it. Your ISP uses the MAC address to identify you and make sure you are allowed to receive their service. Your ISP is seeing a different MAC address (the router) than it used to (the modem) and is preventing it from connecting. You will need to call your ISP and tell them that you bought a router and need to update your account information. I'm not to familiar with your router but I do know that most Linksys routers can clone a MAC address. This way your ISP thinks that your router is actually the modem, no need to call them and update your information.

The router has MAC address cloaning. I attempted to cloan  the mac and see if I could get it to work. It didn't.

Any one else have experience with this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to unplug my modem before I switch computer to router.  The modem then "recognizes" the router and all is well.  Have you tried this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a similar setup including the Westell 6100 DSL modem.  I have not gotten mine to work yet either and I sort of do computer work for a living.  There are lots of pointers to help at dslreports.com in their discussion forums including FAQs for BellSouth and Westell modems.

The short answer seems to be put the 6100 into bridge mode and clone the MAC address on the wireless router.  That didn't work for me, but I hope to spend some more time on this tomorrow.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Update: I got mine working just now.  I followed a FAQ I found via dslreports.com.  I do not have the link for this FAQ but it is specific to the Westell 6100 and it was pretty easy...just put the Westell into Bridge mode, clone the MAC address on the wireless router (Netgear in my case) and also put in the proper username and password into the Netgear and I was in business.  I spent several hours trying to do this a few weeks ago and could not get it working, but I was probably using the wrong username/password combo for the wireless router.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Update: I got mine working just now.  I followed a FAQ I found via dslreports.com.  I do not have the link for this FAQ but it is specific to the Westell 6100 and it was pretty easy...just put the Westell into Bridge mode, clone the MAC address on the wireless router (Netgear in my case) and also put in the proper username and password into the Netgear and I was in business.  I spent several hours trying to do this a few weeks ago and could not get it working, but I was probably using the wrong username/password combo for the wireless router.

GunLvr

You know I hate to be the one to point out the obvious -- and maybe I've missed something -- but why go to the trouble of cloning MAC addresses when you could just plug the DSL modem into the router, and then plug the computer into the router?

Upon more careful reading of the thread, I see you may have tried that and that it may be a problem with your specific brand of modem.  I just wanted to let you know that everyone else in the universe plugs the router into the modem and nobody fiddles with two network cards in the PC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You know I hate to be the one to point out the obvious -- and maybe I've missed something -- but why go to the trouble of cloning MAC addresses when you could just plug the DSL modem into the router, and then plug the computer into the router?

Upon more careful reading of the thread, I see you may have tried that and that it may be a problem with your specific brand of modem.  I just wanted to let you know that everyone else in the universe plugs the router into the modem and nobody fiddles with two network cards in the PC.

Yep, plugging the router into the DSL modem should work but doesn't work.  I tried that first and had a frustrating few hours before I turned to google and found out that Westell modems have problems, as do Netgear wireless routers.  The MAC address has to be cloned to "fool" Verizon (my isp/dsl provider).

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top