yes, deffinatly. Howeever, check for good rifling/corrosion
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Local newspaper has a M-44 for $100 inclides extra monte carlo stock
Should I buy it?

If you have cash in hand,maybe go look at it and if it is in good shape try to offer $80 for it and work a deal.If it is all matching numbers,good bore,decent metal and wood $100 isnt great but not a rippoff either.Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
sure, but you could "invest" that money into a C&R and "save" yourself all kinds of money
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sure, but you could "invest" that money into a C&R and "save" yourself all kinds of money

SAVING and C&R are relative terms to each other

Yea,had to get rid of mine cause of all the deals that came in the flyers once a month were hard to pass up
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
yes
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Local newspaper has a M-44 for $100 inclides extra monte carlo stock
Should I buy it?

Buy a Hand Pick from Aim Surplus and ditch the Monte Carlo Bling,far better ahead and it's Historic value still intact and worth a future look if you sell, just opinion
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me help you...

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Let me help you...

fototime.com/245C8ADA68F21A9/standard.jpg

get some 7.62x54r Ready to Rock and Load Blowsome Holes
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If it is mechanically sound/good bore I would say try to get a few more bucks off then buy an original excellent condition stock set from a place like this for about $40: M44 stock set

Then try to sell the monte carlo stock on the EE or something, those things usually retail for about $50-$100 so you should be able to get a few bucks out of it. You could probably come out close to even money wise if you swap them out and sell off the extra stock.

Wood looks 100x better IMO

Look into getting the C&R or see if you can get a couple ordered from the same place and only pay one transfer fee at the FFL, splits up the transfer costs a bit. Get a M38 also, AIM Surplus has them right now M38/$89 and M44/$79.  

If I remember right I think I paid $55 for the M44 on the bottom and $69 for the M38 (it's the third one down). That was with a C&R and they ship it right to your doorstep. The only problem is you will start to rationalize that you need two or three of everything and you will have unopened boxes of sub-$100 rifles hidden all over the house

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The only problem is you will start to rationalize that you need two or three of everything and you will have unopened boxes of sub-$100 rifles hidden all over the house

And this is a problem because . . . ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Indeed.

I went to a gunshow today and looked at the prices. There was a guy selling the stuff that really turns me on: Surplus military rifles and pistols. Everything was 100% above the price I could get if I had my C&R FFL.

Monday morning I am going to start the process of getting my C&R so I can begin the process of becoming completely destitute.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem is you can't have just one Mosin.
You will need more of the following:
M44
M38
M91/30
Finnish Mosin's
Polish Mosin's
Romanian Mosin's
Hungarian Mosin's
etc.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The problem is you can't have just one Mosin.
You will need more of the following:
M44
M38
M91/30
Finnish Mosin's
Polish Mosin's
Romanian Mosin's
Hungarian Mosin's
etc.

STOP IT!!!

When I walked into that gunshow and saw all those Mosins layed out next to all those Mausers and all those Enfields and all those SKS's, I got wood. Seriously.

I was positively giddy and my initial instinct was to tell the guy to wrap all of them up.

The show is still going, and if you people keep talking I might not be able to resist going back down there and spending every last dime!!!

As it was I barely managed to walk out of there with my wallet intact. I saw a German Walther PPK in .380 for THREE HUNDRED BUCKS. I literally started drooling...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
AND THE CDNN CATALOG JUST CAME!!!!

WHY GOD!!! WHY!!!

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME SIN HERE??????
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh this is starting to sound like black rifle disease, or is the AK, or SKS
On a sad note I missed it by 10 minutes, I called the guy and before I could drive across town someone else got there.
But thats ok the fine folks here have shown me the light, AIM will be getting a call
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh this is starting to sound like black rifle disease, or is the AK, or SKS
On a sad note I missed it by 10 minutes, I called the guy and before I could drive across town someone else got there.
But thats ok the fine folks here have shown me the light, AIM will be getting a call

You probably didn't miss much on that one. A C&R FFL 03 will pay for itself with one purchase saving a transfer fee plus you get discount dealer prices from some merchants(Brownells/Midway) on gunsmithing and reloading supplies. They are plentiful and still relatively cheap but I haven't seen as many advertised on websites and in catalogs as there were last year. I got that M38 in the picture above from SOG and that M44 came from Interordnance if I remember right. They don't have them advertised on their websites right now but it might not hurt to call and see if they have a few left if you want to order one. I have a few more that I got from thos places as well and none of them look like they were ever even issued or fired at all. Get that C&R and pick up a Yugo SKS or three, they are fun and cheap also.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I am starting to work on the C&R
I have a Yugo model 59 along with a few others
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell yes get it. Funnest gun I own. Kicks like a mule, flashes like lightning...what's not to love?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
NO don't get it. Get a C&R license for $30 and then you can buy an in the wrap M44 in excellent condition for about $60 and have it delievered right to your door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top