Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 10:15:30 AM EDT
Up to 40 hours of OT after 40 hours of straight time for the week. 2 more days to go so I'll probably hit 50+ hours. I'm plumb tuckered out. Gettin to old for this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That's too much.

After two weeks of overtime with 32 hours, you're only going to be about 50% effective, maybe less in some jobs.  

Year before last I told one of my guys he had to cut back because it was affecting his work, so he worked 16 hours that week!  I had him work 40 the next week.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always been a fan of 0 hours per week. Life offers little enough chance to play as it is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the same opportunity but 10 hours a day at work is about right. I don't have to work more than 44 hrs. a week but can work all I want too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Just think of the money though.  I wouldn't mind working my 60-70 hour work weeks if I got extra pay.  Plus you cant spend as much money when you work that much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually work 60-80 hr weeks in the spring until July.Don't get OT,but all that comp gives me a good bit of the fall off!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The money is good but you don't have time for shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The more you make the more they take.

Some OT is good, but there is a point of diminished returns financially and health wise.  I wish I had the opportunity to work some OT but its scarce at my job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything over 10 a week just goes into Uncle Sam's pocket. I worked 347 hours of OT last year Sam got more than his share of it. A big chunk of it came after two 13 day stretches with one day off in between. it's a shame that Corporate America keeps it's work force so lean that when TSHTF work wise you have to work your people to death to get things done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I work at least 10 hrs OT a week. And work has been a little "slow" lately.  Starting next week I'll probably be back to 30+ hrs of OT a week.  Then on the weekend I'll work side jobs

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I get about 15 hours a week.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I pulled 51 hours OT a few weeks ago on ONE week......... Not to bad. I could have gone more.

Then 12 the week before.... Was a nice check.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, up to 48 hours now. Runnin on coffee and adreniline. At least its double time from here on out. My highest ot ever was 62+ reg 40 hours in a week, but that was during an ice storm.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, up to 48 hours now. Runnin on coffee and adreniline. At least its double time from here on out.

Damn, Double time? Damn....  I wish mine was on that 51hour OT week
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I need some OT.  They cut out the full-timers from doing one of my favorite OT opprotunities, and the normal OT opps go to the more senior.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#15]
It's nice to get a big check but it plays hell on the family when you are gone ALL the time. Since my work involves callouts, it is completely unpredictable. There is no way you can schedule anything.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Some OT is good, but there is a point of diminished returns financially and health wise.  I wish I had the opportunity to work some OT but its scarce at my job.

I always hear the lazy people say that. "But you dont see it, Uncle Sam takes it".
Sure. You keep saying that, I'll take the OT. With a smile.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
YEah the more I make the more they take.. But ummm, its alot more than I normally make, so meh....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always hear the lazy people say that. "But you dont see it, Uncle Sam takes it".

Actually there is a point that you go over where you jump tax brackets on witholdings that can make a huge difference in the take home pay. For me its right around 16 hours of OT. I'll end up with about 1200 bucks witheld for a one week period. You end up making straight time pay if you figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually there is a point that you go over where you jump tax brackets on witholdings that can make a huge difference in the take home pay. For me its right around 16 hours of OT. I'll end up with about 1200 bucks witheld for a one week period. You end up making straight time pay if you figure it out.

Well, I've had anywhere from 1 hour of OT to 40 hours of OT and I can say I've never had a smaller paycheck when I work more hours. Maybe your milage varies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've had anywhere from 1 hour of OT to 40 hours of OT and I can say I've never had a smaller paycheck when I work more hours. Maybe your milage varies.

No you wont get a smaller paycheck. Its just you will hit a point they will tax more and you wont get as much as if you worked no OT..I think I said that right....Basically, you end up making less an hour, but still make more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No you wont get a smaller paycheck. Its just you will hit a point they will tax more and you wont get as much as if you worked no OT..I think I said that right....Basically, you end up making less an hour, but still make more.

Now that I wont argue with. The simple test is this.
Is your paycheck bigger at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is, and I need it... Atleast my job is fucking easy.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#23]
An old-timer at work said this to me years ago: "You never hear of a man punching out on his last day at work before retirement saying to himself: You know, I wish i'd have spent more time at work...."!

For most of my career, a 58 hour week was standard. Less than that and you didn't have a job. Then things went south in '01 and if you had a job it was expected that you'd get more done with less people and that meant 7 days. Sometimes 7 days at 8 hours, which really blows-if you are gonna fuck my weekend up, let me work 10's and make it worth my while!

Most of this last year I went 62-65 hours a week, seven days. I had maybe 5 days off all year, and now we are on 40 hours! I'd probably like it, but it's been so long since I have had any kind of free time I don't know how to enjoy the time off. The weekend comes and I suffer from Option Paralysis and sleep deprivation.

Can't wait for retirement..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is, and I need it... Atleast my job is fucking easy.  

Ditto.
On all accounts!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Fxntime I'm in the same boat as you. The tax rate for OT is darned near cost prohibitive.

My callouts (telco) can be a very unpredictable as well.  Anytime I'm called & have to leave home, callout pay is 2x/hr.  If I can fix problems via computer from home, callout is 1.5x/hr.  Plain old OT is 1.5x/hr.  I've had some huge by-weekly checks & the .gov was happy to see a LARGE portion of my hard earned $$.

It takes a bit of discipline but your OT $$ can really impact your debt load.  Last year my dear wife & I focused our OT $$ on paying down the mortgage.  It was an unusually high OT year for me & we paid off our home & property 6 years early.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fxntime I'm in the same boat as you. The tax rate for OT is darned near cost prohibitive.

My callouts (telco) can be a very unpredictable as well.  Anytime I'm called & have to leave home, callout pay is 2x/hr.  If I can fix problems via computer from home, callout is 1.5x/hr.  Plain old OT is 1.5x/hr.  I've had some huge by-weekly checks & the .gov was happy to see a LARGE portion of my hard earned $$.

It takes a bit of discipline but your OT $$ can really impact your debt load.  Last year my dear wife & I focused our OT $$ on paying down the mortgage.  It was an unusually high OT year for me & we paid off our home & property 6 years early.

And theres mistake #2.

OT money should ALWAYS be used for hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been working 84 hours a week for the last two years!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#28]
So little time to get to the range, let alone mow the lawn,  change the oil on the car, etc...

Working is better than not working, but working over 50 hours a week starts to suck.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yup,+1. I had a job where legally , I wasn't ( nor anyone else ) to get over 72 hours or something like that. OSHA is supposed to keep an eye on peole being worked too much.
And like it was said above,financialy , it gets to a point where your only making maybe a buck or two over what you'd be paid regularly per hour.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Employers don't like me. Why? I don't like to do alot of overtime. Sure, I'll help out in a pinch when things are tight, but I draw the line at 50 hrs a week. The wife already makes plenty of money, the bills are paid, the house is paid off, why work myself to death? Remember, you're renting your life out by the hour. Every hour you don't keep to yourself is GONE. It gets to a point where the Man takes more out of your OT than it's worth, frankly.

I see no point in killing myself just to make a few more bucks. My health and sanity are more important. You guys who work 70-80 hrs a week must either be desperately deep in debt, or just plumb crazy Type-A workaholics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I work for ATT.  From April to around October overtime is about 65hrs a week if you want it.

Working the OT has made it possible to have all my debts paid off except the house.  We refinanced to a 15yr loan.   My wife was able to quit her teaching job when our 1st child was born in 2000.

I don't intend to work like this forever, but the overtime has made for a good life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been working "Mandatory Overtime" or as the company puts it, "Scheduled Hours" for the last 3 years. The only ones who benefit from it are the Company and the IRS
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I own my own business.  During the spring and summer i routinely work 80=90hrs a week, between work out in the feild, running around doing estimates, and office work.  It be nice if worked for someone else and got paid 1.5x.  But in the winter i don't work much at all.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#35]
At my previous employer, OT was a mandatory thing. I hated every second of it--for my normal shift M-F I had no problem, but any time other than that was MY time, not the company's.

Now I work for my dad, and the business will be mine in the not too distant future, and I have NO problem busting ass for as long as I need to. I think I'm gonna like self employment even more...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Work as much or as little OT as you like.

I don't care for it (except in the winter). I pretty much turn it all down in the summer months.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found this to be untrue.  I always heard the same BS about "you'll get screwed if you work too much OT!" so I did a test.  I worked 10 ot, 20 ot, 30 ot, 40 ot, and 50 ot, on 5 pay periods.  Each pay period is 2 weeks long.

The difference between 10 hours and 50 hours when it comes to taxes taken from my check was less than 2.9%.

It's a myth perpatrated by those folks that don't like working OT!

Balming
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Been with my present employer for 11 years. The 1st year there was just 3 of us covering the entire state worked between 70-80 hrs a week with an all time high of 111 hrs. It was nuts! The Wife was pissing and moaning cause I was never home and when I was home I was sleeping. My 1st Boss was an asshole and to cover himselve he held back the time cards so I only gotmy regular pay. So after 3 pay periods(6) weeks I dropped the hammer on him with HR they cut me a check that day for 6200 bucks in ot pay after taxes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found this to be untrue.  I always heard the same BS about "you'll get screwed if you work too much OT!" so I did a test.  I worked 10 ot, 20 ot, 30 ot, 40 ot, and 50 ot, on 5 pay periods.  Each pay period is 2 weeks long.

The difference between 10 hours and 50 hours when it comes to taxes taken from my check was less than 2.9%.

Balming

You are quite correct. To some, it may SEEM like they aren't making any more per hour, but it is because the amount taken out per check is based soley on that check. If at your normal 40 hours a week you are in one tax bracket and at 80 hours a week you are two tax brackets higher, then when you get that paycheck they'll have taken out the tax from the two tax brackets higher. But, if you only work one or two of those a year, and you still average out to being in the two tax brackets lower category, all that extra percentage taken out from your 80 hour weeks comes back to you at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Balming

You are quite correct. To some, it may SEEM like they aren't making any more per hour, but it is because the amount taken out per check is based soley on that check. If at your normal 40 hours a week you are in one tax bracket and at 80 hours a week you are two tax brackets higher, then when you get that paycheck they'll have taken out the tax from the two tax brackets higher. But, if you only work one or two of those a year, and you still average out to being in the two tax brackets lower category, all that extra percentage taken out from your 80 hour weeks comes back to you at the end of the year.

Between state, fed, FICA, local and such you will never recoup all the taxes from the higher tax bracket you will fall into. Been here almost 20 years, it is pretty easy to track after a while. Still saves the company money because they do not have to hire another worker and pay insurance and all the rest.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job but 52 hours OT now after 40 is a bit much. It also increases the risk of accidents, and foul ups.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Between tax season and a corporate merger going less than smoothly, I have to work a minimum of 8 hours OT a week.  Mandatory OT sucks.  I've been doing it for a month now, with two weeks to go.  We're losing people left and right, they don't want to live at  their jobs.  My resume is going out soon too.  

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#42]
We were four twelves every week, so we have 8 hours built in everyweek.  But I usually like to pick up around 18 extra OT hours a week, but at my Department you could work 80 OT hours a week if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Just think of the money though.  I wouldn't mind working my 60-70 hour work weeks if I got extra pay.  Plus you cant spend as much money when you work that much.

I have found that if you work more than 12 or so hours OT in a week, your withholding gets bumped up to a higher bracket and you actually take home less after that.

I know it sounds wierd, but I have experienced that very thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Lately I have been running about 10 hrs ot/wk.  I am salaried and not paid for it.  I will be back to 40/week in March.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Six days a week takes its toll, you start draggin ass...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#47]
No more than 10 hours OT per week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Tomorrow I start a 7 day stretch of 12 hour night shift.  So that will leave me with 44 hours of overtime at the end of the week, and in addition to being temporarily rich I will be a friggin' zombie.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I also work a "Scheduled Hours" job........51 hours in 4 & 1/2 days.......last year it was 500+ hours OT.and yes i am like a zombie,you get to the point that the extra money dont mean shit.......we work a extra week a month  and they call it a schedule...........................
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I find that when I get up to about 75 hours for the week that I get pretty much burnt out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top