Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 6:25:52 AM EDT
Anybody have experience/opinion on the KLR650 (dual sport)motorcycle?

The US Army and Marines use them for scout/recon bikes. Seems like these would be a good "explorer" bike.

Yes, I know they aren't "crotch rockets" or "cruisers", but they are roadworthy and get about 50 MPG.

They are fairly heavy for really hardcore dirt riding, but they are street legal and have a 6 gallon tank (which gives them decent range).

Also, with their stock pipes, they are very quiet.  

Price ain't bad either!  About $5,000 for a new one.

Comments?  TIA!  DaMan

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a KLX-650 back in '95. The KLX has a smaller tank and the inverted front forks. It looks a little "meaner" than the KLR. It really was a beautiful bike, red with a purple frame...lots of graphics.

It had a nice ride and lots of power. I used to like the looks I got while riding it on the streets....big and bright and looked like an off-road machine.

I sold it about six months ago for $3000. It only had 2,000 miles on it and was mint. I just lost interest in it because I couldn't bring myself to beat it up off road.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as you plan on staying off the freeway dual-sports are awesome. Another bike to look at is the XR-600 with a street legal kit on it. awesome off road and not bad on the street. all depends on where you will spend most of you time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I've ridden a friend's KLR650 and am impressed.  My next motor will be a KLR.  I've ridden HD for quite a while and the KLR is the first oriental machine to catch my interest.  A group of friends ride trails around Ouray, CO in the summer and most of them ride KLR's.  It's a real fun motor.

BTW I think the USMC used KLR250's but are moving to the 650.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Kawasaki's(two strokes) but their four strokes are big pigs, sorry but when it comes to four strokes can't beat the Honda XR's. Gas mileage is about the same weight is a lot less but power is way up on the XR's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#5]
187, the KLX650 IS LEANER AND MEANER than a KLR650 on the dirt(that's for sure!). Baja Designs also makes a kit for the KLX650 to make it "street legal" (barely!!).  And as ADTECHARMS pointed out, the XR-600 can also be made "street legal" with a Baja Designs kit.

ADTECHARMS, your comment about "dual sport" bikes on the freeway is SO TRUE!  Sure, it can be done, but it sure ain't fun! A "street legalized" dirt bike would be even more unpleasant (but it could still be done, if necessary)!

And Silver Surfer, the Honda "dual sport" (as well as the Yamaha) are known to be a more dirt capable than the KLR-650.  But, both give up a little range (smaller tanks) and a little "pavement friendliness".  If I lived on any of the islands of Hawaii, the Honda or Yamaha would also be my my first choice!

But, I live where the range and "mulelike" packing capabilities of the KLR-650 are very important!

Arock, if your KLR-650 buddies want to checkout the east side of the Rockies in Colorado, drop me an e-mail.  I have some excellent rides to suggest!

BTW, Arock, there is a picture of the Marine KLR-650 (search History) on AR-15.com.

Thank-you all for imput! Love to hear more!

DaMan    

The KLR-650 is like a Swiss Army knife.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top