Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 8:43:13 AM EDT
I was thinking about a Jack Russell Terrier, until I read somewhere that they are not good with kids...

We have 4 kids, ages 4-14, and the wife is expecting #5 in August.
The dog MUST be kid friendly.

Any suggestions ???
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
beagle
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i have a Jack/Norfolk terrier cross

sturdy little feller that loves the kids

The norfolk, norwich, & cairns are all sweet dogs and not as high strung as the full blood Jacks
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The only one that I have personal experience being a problem with kids was a Jack Russell.

My bud had one, and it bit his daughter, his son and his wife. The thing was so unbelievably territorial, you should have seen this dog guard the kids' stuffed animals. If you reached for one of those animals while he was guarding, you would be bleeding soon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
American Staffordshire Terrier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Boston Terrier.  They run 15-25 lbs, clean, easy to train and very smart.  Mine is almost 9 years old, and by far the best dog I have ever had.  She potty-trained in about a week, has a huge vocabulary that she understands, and has never bitten anyone, even when my toddler torments her.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He said a dog that was GOOD with kids, not a dog that thinks kids TASTE good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Schipperke, belgian boat gaurd dogs.

FIERCELY loyal, bark sounds like a dog three times thier size.  Does not bark excessively, but does bark when something seems not right to them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said a dog that was GOOD with kids, not a dog that thinks kids TASTE good.

Pits actually are extremely good with kids.

It is the bad owners that give them a bad name.....hmmmm....kinda like irresponsible gun owners!!  This board should know about that!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
4 kids, and one more on the way.  You need to herd kids.  Get a Border Collie.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Basset Hound.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The smallest dog you should be looking at should weigh 30-35 lbs. No toy breeds at all. Beagles are pretty decent but barkers, but they will also eat absolutely anything that falls on the floor. Try a SMALL boxer. Fantastic with kids, short hair, short tail and ears, loyal, smart, sheds little, and intimidating to "evil" people.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Lab. The kids will grow, and come on! Is there a better breed in existence? I think not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Most small dogs are not good with kids. It is a simple matter of small dogs are too easily hurt and lots of them don't have kid personalities to begin with. I would advise raising your sights to something medium-sized. There are lots of good possibilities in the medium category.

See www.dogbreedinfo.com Info on lots and lots of breeds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Beagle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Go to your local Humane Society and take a look around.  There's several advantages to getting a pound dog.

- Most are already through that puppy "chewing up everything you value" stage.
- Most are already housebroken.
- Most animal shelters have a separate area where you can take a prospective adoptive dog and get to know it.  Bring your kids along and see how it interacts with them.

We always try to get a pound dog.  They're grateful and it shows.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Rat terrier
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Our yorkie gets along with our 11 month old just fine, and he has since the kid was born.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Boston Terrier.

perfect small, and inteligent dog.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
see below
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#21]
You must be planning on keeping in the house.  Its a big investment to keep chained up in the back yark.  I second the pound dog.  You can get a seasoned "vet" and try it out with your kids before you take home.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Papillion

I also heard that the Chinese Crested is good with kids, but I don't think kids are good with it!?!?!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to admit that Corgi's are actually pretty cool little dogs.  To get to your question they are great with kids.   These little dogs will not back down as they are breed to heard cattle.  Fast, loyal, and devoted.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Got my face chewed on by a beagle when I was 5, therefore I cannot recommend a beagle for children.

In fact, I outright insist that all beagles be put to death immediately.

Try a Boston Terrier. They're nutty and playful.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Go to your local Humane Society and take a look around.  There's several advantages to getting a pound dog.

- Most animal shelters have a separate area where you can take a prospective adoptive dog and get to know it.  Bring your kids along and see how it interacts with them.

Sounds like some PETA would say.
Stay away from pound puppies. Most are took to the pound because they have behavior problems or aggression problems to start with. Why take over somebody elses problem. You also dont know what breeds the pound dog is composed of or how big they will get unless you get a grown one and then you dont know about that dogs past or any behavior issues. Not chances i would want to take around small kids. My suggestion is look around for a well bred PURE bred pups off stable parents that comes with some kind of health guarntee. I like american pitbull terriers myself. They are very LOYAL, very tough, and very smart. They can take the ear pulling and tail jerking little kids like to do and most even seem to like it. Their dog aggression wont be a problem unless you got other pets and even if you do raise them together as a pup and you will probably be fine. Aggression towards animals and aggression towards people are too very different things and should even be remotely linked together!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay away from pound puppies. Most are took to the pound because they have behavior problems or aggression problems to start with. Why take over somebody elses problem. You also dont know what breeds the pound dog is composed of or how big they will get unless you get a grown one and then you dont know about that dogs past or any behavior issues. Not chances i would want to take around small kids. My suggestion is look around for a well bred PURE bred pups off stable parents that comes with some kind of health guarntee. I like american pitbull terriers myself. They are very LOYAL, very tough, and very smart. They can take the ear pulling and tail jerking little kids like to do and most even seem to like it. Their dog aggression wont be a problem unless you got other pets and even if you do raise them together as a pup and you will probably be fine. Aggression towards animals and aggression towards people are too very different things and should even be remotely linked together!

I have known lots of people who got good dogs at the pound, but the truth is they are a crap shoot, both in terms of temperament and long-term health. That's why I thought it was worth the money to pay for a known quantity. Everyone else's mileage will vary.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Our sheltie is great with our son. Its pretty funny when he tries to herd kids.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Boston Terrier

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Corgi.  Cutest damn animal on the planet.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Corgi.  Cutest damn animal on the planet.

Where's its legs?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Called the "Nanny Dog" in Europe, it's reputation with kids is outstanding. Here is more info:

www.dogbreedinfo.com/staffordshirebullterrier.htm

www.sbtca.com/site01/

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Boston Terrier.

perfect small, and inteligent dog.

Plus one..... best fun dog to have ever...especially when they look at you with thoose bug eyes
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Also, unless you are truly deadset on a smaller breed, take a really good look at the Labrador Retriever. They are in my opinion one of the best breeds in existence if you get one from a reputable breeder.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Dacshund.............they are very good with kids
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Shetland Sheepdog (Mini Collie).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Italian Greyhound....small less than 25 lbs. Great with small kids. We have two small kids and two IG's nary a problem. Also very loving and though they look fragile they are not. They are also good watchdogs as they bark whenever someone comes around.Also very short hair with no grooming needed and no health problems to speak of.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have known lots of people who got good dogs at the pound, but the truth is they are a crap shoot, both in terms of temperament and long-term health. That's why I thought it was worth the money to pay for a known quantity. Everyone else's mileage will vary.

I don't know what to tell you folks.  I'm 3 for 3 in the pound dog department.  I have seen aggressive dogs there, but they're pretty obvious right from the start.

As far as the dogs being there because they're "bad" dogs.  I'd have to disagree.  I've seen a lot of dogs there because they had "bad" owners.  One of my dogs came from an old woman who couldn't keep the dog any longer because she had to enter a long term care facility.  That dog was the best.  Well, except for the one time she tried to corner a skunk.  I had another pound dog that was the most loyal dog you would ever hope to have.  Being a Cocker Spaniel, she did have a hard time controlling herself around any ducks.  The other dog?  Well, she was abused by a previous owner.  The only way I know that is that whenever somebody took out a broom, she would hide.  Other than that - no problems at all.

...and Bulldogger - save me the PETA shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#42]
After you find a dog breed you're interested in look into that breed's rescue society.  The rescue groups normally do a superb job of matching a dog to a family.

If you have the chance (and good luck here) get your hands on a retired seeing eye dog or a retired police dog.  

Father has a rescued English Setter.  She was found emaciated in the Oregon woodlands...and we know why, we've litterally lost her 3 times on hunting trips.    Excellent dog though, great hunter and a great lover (she's got that setter hug down pat)...just doesn't give a crap what you yell at her when she smells birds unless you wind that shock collar up high.

I miss having a dog.  Single apartment life sucks that way.  I'm not into small breeds (though I did have a Shi-Tzu/Lassa Opsa mix when I was growing up) and my schedule wouldn't be fair to a dog anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#44]
The greatest dog I've seen is my aunt's English Setter. It's always been playful and friendly. She's had it for over 7 years; it has yet to bite anyone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#45]
We have a mini Australian Shepard that has been the greatest dog ever with the grandkids, they can do whatever with this dog and he will put up with it.  Wherever the kids are the dog is also, and he will do his best to herd them in the right direction.  The only issue is the tendency to shed, and this dog DOES NOT like gunfire even though he has never been exposed to it at close range.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The greatest dog I've seen is my aunt's English Setter. It's always been playful and friendly. She's had it for over 7 years; it has yet to bite anyone.

From my reading and relatively limited experience it's not likely to ever happen with a setter that hasn't been abused.  They just plain love, almost as much as they enjoy pointing at rodents and birds.  Actually, my fathers has unfortunately become pretty good at catching squirrels.  We don't concern ourselves with it too much but it's a bad habit for her to have when we'd rather she pointed.

She defiantely needed a bark collar when they first got her though.  She's pretty broken of that but sometimes we have to show it to her.

Most dogs run from fireworks on the fourth of July, Brandy runs towards them.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Get a Border Collie.  Even tempered and damned near as smart as you are.  We had one when my son was born and the dog instantly understood what was going on and welcomed him into the family.  He went through hell with our son, and loved every minute of it.  

While our son was learning to walk, he would grab the dog's ear, pull himself up, and the two would take off around the house.  I have no doubt that the dog knew he was teaching our son to walk!  We could leave our son in the yard with the dog and not have to worry about either of them wandering off.  If our son got close to the edge of the yard, the dog would gently grab him by the pants and set him down.  It was really cool to watch.  The neighborhood kids that the dog knew could come into the yard to play, but no adults could-PERIOD!  

Please don't make up your mind without at least researching the Border Collie breed.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Get a Border Collie.  Even tempered and damned near as smart as you are.  

<snip>

Please don't make up your mind without at least researching the Border Collie breed.  Good luck!

I personally would love to get a border collie one day but one unfortunate reason these dogs turn up in pounds and rescue societies is that people don't know what they're getting into.  This is an energetic working dog, not an apartment lap dog...not even close.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#49]
What dogs are good with kids?

Well, since kids tend to be on the fatty side, I suggest a lean dog to keep down the saturated fats.  Coarse grind them together with your favorite spices and smoke until cured.  Great on rye with mustard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Border Collie.  Even tempered and damned near as smart as you are.  

<snip>

I personally would love to get a border collie one day but one unfortunate reason these dogs turn up in pounds and rescue societies is that people don't know what they're getting into.  This is an energetic working dog, not an apartment lap dog...not even close.  

True to a point.  They ARE energetic, but with proper patience and training while they are young the negatives can be overcome.  We are currently on our third Border Collie, and they have all three been marvelous inside the house dogs.  I would even go so far as to call them lap dogs.  It's all in the training.  That being said, if you aren't willing to expend the time and effort to properly train them, they will train you.  Our current BC was housebroken from the first day we got her.   She would go to the door and sit when she needed to go outside to do her business.  One time she went to the door and sat down, and I told her NO you just went out an hour ago.  She looked me right in the eye, squatted and pissed on the floor.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top