Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 9:40:47 PM EDT
Heard this was the ultimate car movie,

Wanna see it obviously, but am wondering if theres any way to see it without dishing out major Cash?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure I'd call it the "ultimate" car movie, but it is considered a cult classic. I had it on VHS, but loaned it to a "friend" a few years ago, and never got it back. I don't know if it has been released on DVD or not. I would buy it if it was. If you are a GTO Judge fan, you would want to have it in your collection. (I am).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh eah they released a DVD, but its out of print and the cheapest it seems that it would be around 200$ to get a copy now.

Wondering if anyone knows if Netflix has it, or if any of those pay for movie download sites have it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Its an ok road movie with a real beach boy and an asshole  left winger. Suppose to be about a race across country but you will notice they never quite get around to racing, grandma in her suburu could beat em both.
Nice GTO though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
James Taylor's acting is fantastic!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its an ok road movie with a real beach boy and an asshole  left winger. Suppose to be about a race across country but you will notice they never quite get around to racing, grandma in her suburu could beat em both.
Nice GTO though.

Grandmas must have some pretty hot Suburus where you live.  The '55 and the Judge do race, but not officially. They don't get the chance to do the official race, because the '55 explodes before they make it to the Judge/'55 showdown location. The movie ends there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember that movie from way back in the '70s
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
396?
no shit?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Never heard of it, but if has 396 and 454 big blocks in real American muscle cars it's got to be good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a good movie, but in a wierd 1970 sort of way. Don't expect tons of action and wild car chases. This is a movie about two guys who live to race and nothing else. They show no emotion throught the whole movie and only talk about cars and racing. They meet the ultimate poser in the GTO and the movie pretty much shows them driving across country and what happens along the way. In can be boring if you are not really into cars and vintage drag racing.

Definetly a "Cult Classic".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) was ok, but I thought Vanishing Point (1971) and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974) were better, as far as car movies of the 1970s go.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Those high prices are for collector's tins, which I never knew existed.

There  are regular dvds floating around that should be much cheaper.

I did some looking around and found it is coming on Sundance (which I don't have), so maybe you can record it.

Schedule

As has been said, you really have to be into cars to make it through this movie.  If you watch it with someone who isn't, you may never hear the end of it.

Trivia - the movie was trying to highlight the death knell of the traditional hot rodder, who built things himself, as being replaced by the store bought musclecar.  Also, emphasized is the encroachment of the federal gov't as portrayed in the final scene.  I won't spoil it - see if you can tell.  And the '55 is the same one driven by Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford) in American Graffitti.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And the '55 is the same one driven by Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford) in American Graffitti.

+1 there's a piece of triva for y'all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The '55 Cevy in the film is the same '55 Chevy in American Grafiti. They just painted it Black and changed the rims to chrome smoothies. It had a 454 with a tunnel ram and a hydraulic clutch. The car ran in the low 11's in the quarter mile.

My favorite car movies are;

American Grafiti
Two Lane Black Top
Hollywood Knights
Corvette Summer
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I liked the original Gone in 60 seconds, despite how slow it was at first. I want to see "The junkman" But never got around to buying it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep hearing good things about Moonshine Highway, but it's not on DVD yet...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I liked the original Gone in 60 seconds, despite how slow it was at first. I want to see "The junkman" But never got around to buying it.

I believe that guy produced all his own movies, did all his own stunts and everything. I think they used the same car (1973 Mustang Mach 1) through the entire movie.  He also had one of the largest car collections in the world at the time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that guy produced all his own movies, did all his own stunts and everything. I think they used the same car (1973 Mustang Mach 1) through the entire movie.  He also had one of the largest car collections in the world at the time.

Yep, H.B halicki. Funded the movies from the junkyards he owned. Killed in a stunt produceing a sequel to gone in 60 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry should never be used in the same sentence as Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point .  American Grafiti, on the other hand, can be
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top