Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 9:16:34 PM EDT
Watching this show on the History Channel.  These guys tell their story like it happened yesterday.  The shit they must have seen.  It's a shame we're losing these hero's by the hundreds everyday.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Watching this show on the History Channel.  These guys tell their story like it happened yesterday.  The shit they must have seen.  It's a shame we're losing these hero's by the hundreds everyday.  

~Dg84

I don't get cable.  What's it about?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt watch it but I caught the first part The info on JUST The taking of the bridge was cool
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't get cable.  What's it about?

It's a two hour show of D-day broken down almost by the hour.  Great interviews...  I could listen to these guys talk all day.  

To bad the history channel has turned into the Modern Marvel Marathon Channel.
~Dg84

ETA:  How bad ass is Dick Winters?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent show isnt it????? I watched it the first time History Channel ran it and thought it was great. Yes it is sad we are losing our WW2 vets.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I didnt watch it but I caught the first part The info on JUST The taking of the bridge was cool

The one the Ox and Bucks took? Pegasus?

That needs to be a movie, imo, or something.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one the Ox and Bucks took? Pegasus?

That needs to be a movie, imo, or something.

It seems as if Buck did well for himself after the war... A bunch of over achivers if you ask me.

The lead prosecutor in the case was Lynn "Buck" Compton of Band of Brothers fame. Attempts of Sirhan's lawyer, Lawrence Teeter, to remove his case to Fresno where he claimed he could be given a fair trial, failed. Sirhan was convicted and sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted to life in prison in 1972 after the California Supreme Court in its People v. Anderson decision resulted in the invalidation of all pending death sentences imposed in California prior to 1972.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw a friend of mine last night who jumped with the 101st on D-Day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago I posted about clicking an animal training clicker in a pet store. An old guy just about shit himself and almost shouted: "Thunder, dammit! Don't shoot!"

I was quick enough to whisper to him, "101st, Pass, Mac."

We spoke for a few minutes about D-Day, as I at least seemed to be understanding.

I met him about a year later, shortly after he lost his wife and took the old guy to lunch. What stories he had to tell about arriving in France in '44 AND returning to France about 15 years ago.

I'd recognize him anywhere, but I don't even know his name.

You bet your ass it's almost like yesterday.

Almost to the day he died, my dad (a bombardier)would sometimes wake up at odd hours and sit in the kitchen staring out the window for a while and go back to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Almost to the day he died, my dad (a bombardier)would sometimes wake up at odd hours and sit in the kitchen staring out the window for a while and go back to sleep.

My Grandfather, who died 11 years ago this spring, had nightmares until the day he died.  We had a very close relationship and in his last few months he shared stories with me that he hadn't told in 50 years.  I'd ask my Grandmother "had you ever heard about..."  and she'd say "He hasn't even told ME that story."

Simply an amazing group of people.
~Dg84

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top