Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 7:35:06 PM EDT
Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, but I am looking for a tutorial on what makes the Sig so "special".  I hear of legendary reliability, durability and smoothness.  What makes it so?  I am totally unfamiliar with it and just got to handle one for the first time at the SHOT show.  It was so crazy at the booth I could only hear parts of what the Sig rep was saying about it.  I have AR's, AK's and luckily a Galil, so I understand what makes them tick and the strengths and weaknesses of the three.  Please educate me on the Sig  I am seriously considering adding one to the collection because I really liked the way it felt and looked.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Enough sig threads already
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take one if it was free. Then I would sell it on the EE for $3500.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Should be a good gun
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
best reason to own one is to offically  give all liberals a wag of the finger, and to offically put them on notice that if any further restrictions are imposed they could be officaly dead to you.

freedom of choice baby,

honeslty although its starting to grow on me, i think the this community should support all manufactures that are bringing us new stuff, because Hillary will put an end to this real quick with a Executive order for the children

so a few years down the road, you could look at how good it was for a few years and have some thing to show for it,

say goodby to the AR, AK HK SIG Styer and any other rifle that is not a bolt action,

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Make it stop!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Uhhh...well thanks!  Thanks for referring me to all the threads regarding pissing and moaning about folding stocks and rails.  I am not interested in discussion about pricing, availability, pictures and such.  I was looking for good info about how the rifle works and how it is made.  i.e.  forged/cast parts, stampings, chromed barrel, accuracy, need for cleaning, is it milled, etc.  I was not looking for smart-ass comments and I have already seen the numerous other posts with the retsrded pissing back and forth.  PLease educate me on why this rifle has such a good reputation and why I should get one.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Own one so you can get all kinds of expensive upgrades,take pics for ARFCOM,then brag about how great of a weapon it is,sitting unfired in your safe.Then buy all kinds of new tactical clothes that match your new rifle.Post some more pics on ARFCOM with you aiming the rifle at a mirror,wipe all the handling smudges off the lower,then put it back in the safe for 2 months...

Then sell it in the EE at a $200 loss.

To seriously answer your question,you will have to wait until it has been tested by the consumers.Until then,everything is just speculation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Half that stuff we really dont know because no one really has had a really good look at it yet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Why should I want to buy a Sig 556????

Good question.

How many 5.56 rifles do you need? Get something will some balls. A big bore AR'll put some hair on your chest!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Half that stuff we really dont know because no one really has had a really good look at it yet.

You want a better look

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
PLEASE READ MY POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Surely there is someone on this board that knows how the 556 works and how it is made.  That is all I am interested in...please save the smartass remarks for some other thread

i heard the rep say gas piston, yadda yadda, the production models will be lighter, yadda yadda.  Please educate me on the operating system of this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
PLEASE READ MY POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Surely there is someone on this board that knows how the 556 works and how it is made.  That is all I am interested in...please save the smartass remarks for some other thread

i heard the rep say gas piston, yadda yadda, the production models will be lighter, yadda yadda.  Please educate me on the operating system of this rifle.

The 556 shares the same action as the 55x family of weapons only it is built better due to the use of stronger forged metals. Read:

"Basically, the SIG-550 is a somewhat lightened and refined SIG-540/541 rifle. SIG-550 featured AK-47 style action, gas operated, with gas piston attached to the bolt carrier, and with rotating bolt with two massive lugs. The recoil spring is located around the gas piston rod, above the barrel, and the bolt carrier attached to the gas piston rod by the mean of removable charging handle. The gas port has gas regulator with two different open and one closed position (latter for firing rifle grenades). The receiver is made from stamped steel and has two major parts, upper and lower, which are connected by pushpins. "
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It works the same as an AK

the upper is stamped steel.

the lower is plactic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It works the same as an AK

the upper is stamped steel.

the lower is plactic.

The SIG press release clearly says the upper is steel and the lower is anodized aluminium. Where did you get plastic from?

"The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength carbon steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® X rifle finish. The trigger housing is made from a heat treated aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger."
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you, variablebinary....that's what I was looking for.  Anyone else know anything about maintenance/cleaning/longevity?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#20]
For the same reason we should be thinking about buying the new P90, FN2000, SCAR, AUG (maybe), etc.....if we show the gun manufacturing community that they CAN and WILL make money by introducing "evil assault weapons" into the US civilian market, it will only open the door for more of the same in the (then very bright) future. The only thing about the Sig is that it is probably overall much more anticipated than the other possible "assault rifle" releases, meaning that it's all the more important that the 556 be a total success.

If, however, the 556 (and any of the other "big dogs" for 2006) flops or is only barely successful, we will have more or less sealed our fate for the future of "assault weapons" releases by major gun companies. Not totally, of course, but it will definitely make a bad impression on any manufacturers trying to decide if introducing a new evil black rifle is worth the risk or not.

It is actually pretty important that the Sig 556 (and "the others") succeed to some extent. Fortunately, I think the 556 will do at least pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thank you, variablebinary....that's what I was looking for.  Anyone else know anything about maintenance/cleaning/longevity?

Remember those well documented DOJ/DHS/FBI carbine trials that Rock River Arms Won. All those endurance tests and beatings

Well SIG passed all those tests and was actually given a larger contract than Rock River.

The design has been around for 30 years. It's mature and very robust
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting close ups.  From what I can tell,  that the back end from what I can see will not accept the original folding stock without modification.   It looks totally different from the original and the mounting area looks integral to the lower and will not be able to remove it.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Look at the other thread.

That lower is not alumium, its molded plastic.

If it was Aluminium then it has alot of wastful machining work on it.

the 55X uses a Steel lower, why re engineer it so that more work is needed to make it verses simply molding a lower?

Edit actully I not sure now it looks kind of like Aluminum

If it is it has to be cast, The correct steel staming would be easier to do than forging new reicivers.

One more edit.

see that recease above the stock extention on the reiciver, that sure doesn't looked machined to me, and there is no way to do that with a raw forging.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Make it stop!!

Hey, at least it's not bread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top