Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 6:03:02 PM EDT
So?

Think I'm going to hang around Midtown this trip... maybe venture to Central Park and maybe check out Uptown.

Any thoughts or suggestions for things to do or see?  Will be there Saturday evening and Sunday.  I'd like to get some good pictures too...

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
look for the chubby filipino cop drinking on the job
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

IM has already been sent
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks!  That made my night.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Bwahahahaha. Quote of the night!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
6 to 12 inches for the area, starting Sat evening, into Sunday.

You want restaurants, museums, sights?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

eh...

I'm not seeing that kind of snowfall predicted.  But if that's what you're hearing

I'll be riding the train up from the Rutger's univ. area... all I have on the truck is casual clothes, so nothing too fancy.  They'll bounce me right out

ETA: ok, I figured out weather.com's new map system.  Looks like I might need to rethink this a bit!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If the evening is clear, top of the rock at rockefeller center has a very recently reopened the observation deck.

No shortage of photo ops in midtown.
Also, related, the international museum of photography 1130 fifth ave. very cool  midtown branch is on 6th ave (1133 Ave. of the Americas), haven't hit that one yet, but the main one on the upper east side is great.

the intrepid

the rose center for earth and space

times square/broadway

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If the evening is clear, top of the rock at rockefeller center has a very recently reopened the observation deck.

No shortage of photo ops in midtown.
Also, related, the international museum of photography 1130 fifth ave. very cool  midtown branch is on 6th ave (1133 Ave. of the Americas), haven't hit that one yet, but the main one on the upper east side is great.

the intrepid

the rose center for earth and space

times square/broadway

I've been to the Intrepid museum several times (including the summer it opened in what... '82???)

Thought about going back there.

Maybe it'll be over to the Intrepid, then to Times Square, and maybe Broadway?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually....BLIZZARD WATCH for Manhattan. Ought to be even worse in the city canyons. Visit the MET and hang out a long while (hopefully they'll be open.

WBK
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Actually....BLIZZARD WATCH for Manhattan. Ought to be even worse in the city canyons. Visit the MET and hang out a long while (hopefully they'll be open.

WBK

Damn... this isn't looking good for a photo safari
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
You could go to all the really cool gun shops and ranges that they have in mid-town.

PS.  Don't forget you CCW.

j/k

Good luck in occupied territory bro...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I just vistited NYC last December.

Go to the National Natural History Museum.

If you like art, try the Metropolitain Museum of Art (from egypt, to rome, to renassiance, to modern - good arms/armor collection).

Frick Collection.

Museum of Modern Art - MoMA - only visit if you like modern stuff - although Van Goughs Stary night is there.

Statue of Liberty is good.

A broadway show is good - check out Spamalot. Or Wicked.

Or just get lost in times square, and then go off on a street - find a cosy looking restaurant. I have to say NYC has some of the best food.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You could go to all the really cool gun shops and ranges that they have in mid-town.

PS.  Don't forget you CCW.

j/k

Good luck in occupied territory bro...

Of all the places I like to CCW... Manhattan is just some place I've never felt the need to.

I know stuff happens there... heck, I've seen stuff happen.  But for some reason, I feel able to get by when I'm there.  Dunno

Now Baltimore or Philly...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
GREAT! I gotta be in  the Hamptons by Monday!!
Dammit I forgot my snowshoes!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Ever see the white eels in the Hudson?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I felt very safe in NYC. And while I am sure that the city was full of Libs, they were all very nice people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to the obervation desk of the Rockefeller Center building tonight, it was really nice, and not crowded at all, at 8:30pm on a Friday.  Probably had something to do with the temperature.  The views are spectacular, better than the Empire State Building, IMO, since you get to see the ESB lit up in all its glory. It was red white and blue tonight.  They do let you get within about 15 feet of the big weather radar dome, dunno how much energy that sucker puts out.

You do have to pass a security checkpoint with metal detector and bag x-ray though.  They didn't give me any crap for a leatherman tool but there is so much junk in my bag that they probably couldn't pick it out of the clutter. YMMV.

Hell, I once set off the metal detector at the Intrepid with a foil condom wrapper in my pocket.

ETA Rockefeller website:  www.topoftherocknyc.com/ODTStatic/site.htm
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Statistically NYC is the safest large city in the nation.

Restaurants... hard to beat Angelo's on Mulberry

Vincent's on Mott and Hester, try the linguini with the medium sauce and the biscuits with garlic and oil...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
There's a great little theme restaurant at 50th and Broadway
called "Charli Bahngs".

You sit on hand woven wicker stools and your table is brought to
you...It will either be a miniture horse or an alpaca. The table's top
is strapped to the back of the animal. They have been trained to stand
perfectly still throughout the entire meal.

Your human server's assistant will be either  Dahlia, Winston, or Kabriel...They are
chimpanzees. One is assigned to each human waiter, and they will do everything short
of actually serving the food.  They are a hoot. If you drop your napkin, they
will race to pick it up. If your water glass is half empty they will refill it.
They are perpetual motion, and are worth the visit just to see how well mannered they are.
Hint: Do NOT try to offer them a tip.  They will scream and throw rolls at you.

Dahlia wears a french maid outfit; Winston is in a tux, and kabriel dresses in a safari
outfit.   The food is a kind of turkish/north african.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]
USS Intrepid Museum

One of my favorite museums.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Well... I never went.

They are reporting 22.5" in Central Park right now.  Oh well...

Thanks for the advice on places to eat.  Maybe next time.  

Oh, and I looked up some info on Rockerfeller Center... I'll be going there for sure on my next NYC excursion.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Man, you picked a great weekend to stay the hell out of the city.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't know what you mean - it was a great weekend to drive the wrangler around manhattan. anywhere you wanted to go there was a nice snowy parking place right in front of the door, You could wear boots into any restaraunt, get a table anywhere, no lines at the stores, most of the libs locked up inside watching TV, I could go on and on.

Snow blast weekends are a great time to come to NY.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top