Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
Used to be I could walk in and flash the ccw and walk right out with my new toy, but nooooo that was to easy, to quick. I was looking around today and at the third shop I went to , I found a Iver Johnson m-1 carbine that I couldnt live without, so I put 100.00 down on it, and went back to work. Well a couple hours went by and I decided I really needed it to fondle and play with tonight. So off I go back to the store, pay the lay-away off, fill out the new form, and pick up some mags and ammo for her. Then all that was left was a quick 2 minute call and off I would be to spend the evening getting to know my new sweetie. Well the lady stayed on the phone for 5 minutes, I looked at holsters, 10 minutes went by and I was curious but, hey it is the government. Then I heard blasphemy, they need to research the transfer, it was in what they call a delay while they decide, and according to the lady (who by the way was really nice) at the store where I bought it from. She told me that it happened quite regularily, that she has had up to 5 guns sitting in the twighlight zone waiting on the gods of whatever they are to cast their votes. Now I have a DUI, 1991, done and over and a public drunkeness (wild night ended at a walmart and handcuffs) But that was 2001. Since then I have bought numerous guns including a m-11 from tactical innovations and that went smooth as it could. So How in the freakin world can I be delayed while they research this, Im confused, I have a registered machine gun, but am having trouble getting a rifle. Why is that, what are they doing and who said they could do this anyway??????????
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have a CCW why were they doing a call?  or does a GA CCW not negate the nics check?

don't worry, delays happen all the time for whatever reason.  sometimes i think they just like to mess with people's heads.  could be that the agent's shift was over and didn't want to put in the extra 30 seconds of overtime.  -he'll get to it in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if you have a CCW why were they doing a call?  or does a GA CCW not negate the nics check?

It's that way here in the 'Gunshine State' too. I have CWP & they still call it in. Their stance is you chave commited a crime; Misd., Felony ect. since you received your CWP. I've not run into any waits or holds... But of course when I go to pick up my Loaded MC Operator, I'll probably pay for this statement.

David
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats the problem, the morning is Saturday, so no m-1 for me this weekend, kinda pisses me though, I paid for it in full and crossed the T's and dotted the i's. But nope. Yes a ccw in Ga used to (speaking as of the last time I bought one last year was all that was needed. If you didnt have a ccw you underwent the check, but we were exempt until I guess Dec and then suddenly all transfers need a check.)   But There should be a more reasonable time limit on the delay, like 30 minutes or a hour, not some 5 or 3 day period. If they cant figure out that Im not a terrorist or a felon or wife beater in 30 minutes somethings wrong. I say they should be fined for everyday they keep me from taking posession of my legal property. I have read their facts about a gazillon illegal gun sales were stopped with the background checks, and I am glad that they are protecting me . Now who, I know it happens, but what fool with a warrnant or felony would go into a gun store and pay the sticker price and then fill out the form and sit and wait for a check.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Not for nothing , but you could be under indictment and not know it which will red flag .

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
if you have the CCW they shouldn't have to call...the delay is just the descretion of the officer who answered the phone...I've bought 6 guns this last year and had to wait 1-3 days for the instant check with every one of them...the form 4 is a form not a permit...unacceptible for credentials... maybe your name is similar to somebody else who has a record...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Around here they still run NICS if you have a CCW permit. Never had a problem before though
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Around here they still run NICS if you have a CCW permit. Never had a problem before though

In my county in NY I am NICS certified and it is listed on my  permit.  Suprisingly, I fill out
the yellow the form but it is never faxed in. The one exeception to this, is in my county I
require a "purchase coupon" from my county clerks office for each new handgun added
to my license. That takes 3-4 weeks +.

Long Guns though I do not wait.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Well unless I have embezelled a million dollars, I cant see what I would be under indicment for that I WOULDNT KNOW ABOUT. I havent done anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top