Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 4:01:57 PM EDT
I really want to have a beer, first off I am sore as hell from work second I am sick, third I want a beer,

Friends and family say i should steer clear of beer while I am sick?

So can I have a beer?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a dose of Nyquill and have a couple of beers.  Then go to be.  You will feel better in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Beer makes you forget you are sick. numbens the pain.

Standard procedure at my place.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
not that beer has that much alchohol but is it true that it lowers your immunity system?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
When you die I want your guns.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
not that beer has that much alchohol but is it true that it lowers your immunity system?

No way!! Alcohol kills germs  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

enough alchohol will cure any sickness, drink up
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I really want to have a beer, first off I am sore as hell from work second I am sick, third I want a beer,

Friends and family say i should steer clear of beer while I am sick?

So can I have a beer?hr

If you are of legal age to consume said alcoholic beverage, what "they" say really means nothing. Grow some man tits and enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont drink while sick, it dehydrates you!

Smoke weed, its way better for sick people!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Dammit i really want a beer, wheres that doctor who saves me thousands because he gives me advice on arfcom rather than paying for stupid health insurance?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

how cute, another pothead.  we need some sort of insecticide to kill these things off
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how cute, another pothead.  we need some sort of insecticide to kill these things off

Is there a pill that kills off potheads?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just realized, It's called the Morning after 5110 days pill   j\k
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't if on Antibiotics!!

Antibiotics are hard on the liver as is and Alcohol will double the chances of liver damage.

At least thats what doctors told me when iw as fighting an infection in both legs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Of course having a beer isn't going to hurt you. Beer never hurt anyone. Beer is your friend. Frankly Beer is deeply hurt that you would make such an unwarranted accusation.

Now, go to the fridge and apologize!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Of course having a beer isn't going to hurt you. Beer never hurt anyone. Beer is your friend. Frankly Beer is deeply hurt that you would make such an unwarranted accusation.

Now, go to the fridge and apologize!

In fact, apologize twice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The way I look at it, if I'm getting a buzz from a few beers, those tiny little germs must be getting truly wasted.

And maybe just maybe they'll start getting into drunken brawls with each other thereby killing each other off!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
+1, don't even think about drinking while taking antibiotics.  

This reminds me of that guy who asked a while back if it was a good idea to drink beer while running on the treadmill.    People who ask these things should probably just stay clear of beer, period.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
no im not on any antibiotics,

well i couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Only one way to find out the first time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely!,I prefer Brandy though for medication with Cold's and such Good Luck and get Better soon

*eta, only self-medication experience from this poster
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wouldn't if on Antibiotics!!

Antibiotics are hard on the liver as is and Alcohol will double the chances of liver damage.

At least thats what doctors told me when iw as fighting an infection in both legs.

As with all drugs, it depends on the particular drug and how the body eliminates it.

Some AB's are liver eliminated, just as some are metabolized through the kidneys.

Your doctor was speaking in VERY broad generalities.

However, alcohol can exacerbate side effects and lessen the potency of certain meds, so be careful.

SG
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Drink lots and lots of SCOTCH!  This will take care of your pain, sickness, and make you sleep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Just remember if you are still feeling bad it is because you havn't drank enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Get me a beer while you're up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I would love to share a beer was a Sapper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Damnit its only a beer, what can it hurt? I'm not a Dr. but I did stay at Holinight Inn one day. Me thinks I've had too much two drink.  Editteded to corect speiling.ha
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#28]
It depends on why you are sick.  If it's a stomach ailment beer will likely make it worse.  Almost anything else, you should be fine.

SP

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
 no really,, only time i havent drank beer when sick is when i had  food poisioning.drink up i alwyas do never harmed me ive turned out normal
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Drink a case and a half and quit slacking, there is a surplus of beer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Instead of drinking beer why not just drink shots of Everclear.  That will make you feel *MUCH* better.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love to share a beer was a Sapper.

Thanks!

I've been sick as a dog for a week with a sinus infection. This definitely helped. [burp]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Alcohol is just about a complete no-no if you are taking any other medications. Other than that, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been drinking beer while sick for the past week, and I'm still alive.  ymmv.

Seriously, that is why I love this place.  I was wondering the very same thing, and like magic, somebody asks it.

If someone has a minor sinus/upper respiratory bacteriological infection, will the alcohol or yeast in beer significantly interfere with the immune system?  Not taking any antibiotics.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top