Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:19:47 PM EDT
Any words that people use that just annoy the hell out of you?

how about......

Unthaw - as in, take the meat out of the freezer and unthaw it. WTF?? Unthaw? If you thaw something you are changing the temperature from frozen to unfrozen. So, to unthaw something must mean you want to freeze it, right?

Irregardless - um... yes, even after countless investigative news programs on this word, people still use it.

eta -

post date - as in "to post date a check"  now, if I make a check out today and date it for two weeks in the future, wouldn't that be called "pre-date" a check? Wouldn't post-date be the same as back-dating?

turn down the a/c - this is one a lot of women use. The a/c is blowing cold, they are cold, they tell you to turn down the a/c. Sooo.... what they are saying is, turn down the temperature, make it even colder in here. What they mean is, turn the temp UP, it is too cold in here.

VIN Number - when people want the Vehicle Identification Number, why do they ask for the VIN Number?

eta -

hyphen nazis! what's up with that?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
disirregardless is even better  look it up
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
"Ignorant"

'Well that's just Ignorant'
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hot Water Heater ___ if anything its a Cold Water Heater if the water was already hot we wouldnt   need to run the damn thing.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I "dove", as in scuba divers recalling a reef they dived on.  You dive!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When people refer to the Glock pistol as the "GLOCK", as if Gaston's name was somehow an acronym for something. Nobody says "I like the COLT pistol, or the RUGER".
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

In American English, "dived" is improper for the simple past, and should only be used on the past participle. "Dived" is acceptable in British English, but "dove" is the proper usage in American English.

It's all to do with German.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
When people place a hyphen where one is not required. Mis-use comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Unnecessary hyphenation.  See thread title for an example.

Pluralization by apostrophization.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted: When people place a hyphen where one is not required. Mis-use comes to mind.

Quoted: Unnecessary hyphenation.  See thread title for an example. Pluralization by apostrophization.  

FWIW: the hyphen was used for visual effect, nothing more.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When people place a hyphen where one is not required. Mis-use comes to mind.

Beat me by seconds.  Lost time trying to spell apostrophization.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In American English, "dived" is improper for the simple past, and should only be used on the past participle. "Dived" is acceptable in British English, but "dove" is the proper usage in American English.

It's all to do with German.

A little back up from the webster online dictionary

dive
7 entries found for dove.
To select an entry, click on it.
 dive[1,verb]dove[1,noun]dove[2]mourning doveringdoverock doveringed turtle dove  

Main Entry: 1dive
Pronunciation: 'dIv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): dived  /'dIvd/; or dove  /'dOv/; dived also dove; div·ing
Etymology: Middle English diven, duven, from Old English dyfan to dip & dufan to dive; akin to Old English dyppan to dip -- more at DIP
intransitive senses
1 a : to plunge into water intentionally and especially headfirst; also : to execute a dive b : SUBMERGE
2 a : to come or drop down precipitously : PLUNGE 3 b : to plunge one's hand into something c of an airplane : to descend in a dive
3 a : to plunge into some matter or activity b : to plunge or dash for some place <diving for cover>; also : to lunge especially in order to seize something <dove for the ball>
transitive senses
1 : to thrust into something
2 : to cause to dive
usage Dive, which was originally a weak verb, developed a past tense dove, probably by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense especially in speech in some parts of Canada. In the U.S. dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common than dove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tense dived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
ATM machine...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Irregardless - um... yes, even after countless investigative news programs on this word, people still use it.

The ironic thing about that word is that many people use it to make themselves sound smarter most of the time.  I hear it's actually being phased into the dictionary.. another indication of the dumbing down of society  Can't learn? We'll change the rules for you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any words that people use that just annoy the hell out of you?

how about......

post date - as in "to post date a check"  now, if I make a check out today and date it for two weeks in the future, wouldn't that be called "pre-date" a check? Wouldn't post-date be the same as back-dating?

Actually, I think "post date" is correct.  Post means after or later.  So, you are dating the check to a time that is later than today (i.e. two weeks in the future).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Decimate...means to reduce by one tenth.  Commonly butchered.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ATM machine...

That needs a PIN number... so you can get money to buy condoms so you don't get the HIV virus.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

dictionary.reference.com/search?q=decimate
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#19]
CBS had my favorite misuse for a while. It's been corrected.

Navy NCIS.

96Ag
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
"clip"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, how could I forget one of my biggest gripes?

"Au jus". Damnit you ignorant menu drafting cocksuckers, it's "Roast beef au jus" not "Roast beef with au jus" or (even worse) "Roast beef with au jus sauce".

While I'm at it, it's "beaucoup", not "boo coo". Fuck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Disrespected. Not "He disrespected me,"  but "He treated me with disrespect."

Lose/loose... If you don't win, you lose. If you don't tighten a bolt, it's loose.

Brake/break... it's muzzle brake, and coffee break

Their/there/they're

Here/hear

Spoda: We spoda be here. (also note use of "we" instead of "we're")

ETA: To/too
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ATM machine...

SSN number   or
SSN #
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

While I'm at it, it's "beaucoup", not "boo coo". Fuck.

I agree. 'cept the style of informal creative writing that I typical use, requires me to write boo coo.
It's a bastardization of the word.

I'll add another one from the french that bugs me on this board. It's Voila, not Wahla or any other misspelling that I've seen used.

The one that's been bugging me lately is drill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
"too" v. "to" -- do they not teach this in schools anymore?  Too frustrating!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I could care less.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I find it ironic that people who often use the word "ironic" don't know the definition of irony.      

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I find it ironic that people who often use the word "ironic" don't know the definition of irony.      

Isn't it like rain on your wedding day?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
'It's a mute point.'

Slays me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate "most unique" or "more unique"

Unique means one of a kind. You can't be the 'most' one of a kind or 'more' one of a kind

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

60% of their Usage Panel are freaking idiots.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

60% of their Usage Panel are freaking idiots.

Larry

Speaking of which, any time anyone uses the word Geek and doesn't mean a circus performer who bites the heads off of chickens.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
It must be yer Spock plugs in yer cahr. You from Bowston?

People down south can't understand my northern accent.

- I'll take a coffee cabinet and a grinder, oh yeah throw in some weiners, all the way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
- I'll take a coffee cabinet and a grinder, oh yeah throw in some weiners, all the way.

Sounds like a RI transplant. RI is the only place I'm aware of that uses cabinet. Grinder and weiner have never been used until the last 10 years or so, and very seldomly now. Boston would be:

- I'll take a coffee frappe and a sub, oh yeah, throw in some dogs with everything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Supposably
damp vs. dampen
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What's really funny is when you say 'regardless' and people look at you like you're an idiot. I've actually had people try to correct me when I use the word 'regardless'.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The ironic thing about that word is that many people use it to make themselves sound smarter most of the time.  I hear it's actually being phased into the dictionary.. another indication of the dumbing down of society  Can't learn? We'll change the rules for you!

"Normalcy" is another example.  The word is "normality", but so many people have heard the word "normalcy" on television that it's finally just being accepted as a real word.  You don't get an X-ray and then doctor Jagdish tells you that he's found an "abnormalcy".

ETA: I'd better spell "then" correctly before I catch hell.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Inconcievable
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't it like rain on your wedding day?

AGNTSA
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#42]
My pet peeve:

"For all intensive purposes" WTF??

Ever since I got out of grad school I've tried to keep my diction simple. All else being equal, you are better understood using fewer small words to convey your message.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#44]
difference between ie and eg

lose and loose <- so common

multiple email messages is not sending a bunch of emails

you don't say you received a bunch of mails in the mail box today do you?

and the " ' " gets used everywhere it shouldn't and not used where it should

hang lose

SC
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Your (intentional) just upsetted....

Ect ect .... er.... etc... etc...

Their once was someone hoo cud spel...

Da Kolumbus Skool uf dyslexic typing....

Diskuvur et end land awn et...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

multiple email messages is not sending a bunch of emails
you don't say you received a bunch of mails in the mail box today do you?

You would say you have sent a bunch of airmails, though.  You picked the wrong analogy.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
"too" v. "to" -- do they not teach this in schools anymore?  Too frustrating!

times to
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Burrow, burro:  One is an ass.  One is a hole in the ground.  You should know the difference.

1911fan
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Witch instead of which.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#50]

RPM, not RPMs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top