User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:15:06 PM EDT
www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=0,45916

02/10/2006
SD House Approves Abortion Ban
The South Dakota House has passed a bill that would nearly ban all abortions in the state, ushering the issue to the state Senate.

Supporters are pushing the measure in hopes of drawing a legal challenge that will cause the US Supreme Court to reverse its 1973 decision legalizing abortion.

The bill banning all abortions in South Dakota was passed 47-to-22 in the House.

Amendments aimed at carving out exemptions for rape, incest and the health of women were rejected.

The bill does contain a loophole that allows abortions if women are in danger of dying. Doctors who do those abortions could not be prosecuted.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it's starting.  The right-wing religious zealots are taking over.

Yay for us.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Sounds like the people of South Dakota's ELECTED representatives voted the way their constituents wanted them to. Don't like it don't move to South Dakota.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That didn't take long.

Good.

And if this goes over well with the Supreme Court we can mount a case to have the second amendment declared as an individual right. Conservatism is marching forward yet again!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Sounds like the people of South Dakota's ELECTED representatives voted the way their constituents wanted them to. Don't like it don't move to South Dakota.

Because we all know politians vote exactly as their constituents desire
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Maybe you're confused from being in the war for too long. The people that are chopping off heads, blowing up police stations, killing your buddies and blew up the WTC are the religous zealots. Remember that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Polling I seen done in South Dakota was showing overwhelming support for this bill!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Polling I seen done in South Dakota was showing overwhelming support for this bill!!

Kinda like the polls that show overwhealming support of gun control and registration? Come now, you know as well as we do that polls can be skewed by the manner in which questions are asked, or the target audience polled.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda like the polls that show overwhealming support of gun control and registration? Come now, you know as well as we do that polls can be skewed by the manner in which questions are asked, or the target audience polled.

That is true but I think you have lived in California maybe to long. There is very little support for abortion in the heartland. Remember the states right thing??????
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh teh noess!!11!!
Legislation from the Legislative branch?
Who'da thunk it?

All those bitching about this: it is not the job of the Judiciary to pass laws.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always said that abortion should be a state issue.  But no one should be prosecuted for going to another state, either.

Quoted:
Amendments aimed at carving out exemptions for rape, incest and the health of women were rejected.

The bill does contain a loophole that allows abortions if women are in danger of dying. Doctors who do those abortions could not be prosecuted.

I dont agree with that.  In those cases its not being used for another birth control method.  Its akin to telling people who were injured during a wreck caused by an illegal alien with no DL they cant get treatment for their injuries.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have always said that abortion should be a state issue.  But no one should be prosecuted for going to another state, either.

Quoted:

I dont agree with that.  In those cases its not being used for another birth control method.  Its akin to telling people who were injured during a wreck caused by an illegal alien with no DL they cant get treatment for their injuries.

i disagree.  the purpose of abortion restrictions isn't to punish women for having unprotected sex.  it's to protect the life of the unborn baby, and the fact that that baby may have been conceived through rape or incest doesn't change the fact that it's a living human in their eyes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Yes, you won't be able to murder your own children.

I find abortion revolting.  It's about the most horrible thing I can think of.  If that makes me a right wing religious zealot then I am glad to be one.

I disagree about the not allowing an abortion in the case of rape, health, etc.  Forcing a woman to carry a rapist's baby or forcing her to die is not a sensible idea.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
by opposing abortion, i'm assuming that you have the belief, as do I, that the unborn baby is a living human.

if so, why would you allow abortions in the case of rape?  If the baby's father was a rapist, does that mean that the baby doesn't deserve to live?  that it's life is worth less than any other baby who was conceived due to consentual sex?  and that's a loophole big enough to fit an elephant through, because then every woman who wanted an abortion, all she'd have to do would be to say that she was raped.....

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Yes, you won't be able to murder your own children.

I find abortion revolting.  It's about the most horrible thing I can think of.  If that makes me a right wing religious zealot then I am glad to be one.

I disagree about the not allowing an abortion in the case of rape, health, etc.  Forcing a woman to carry a rapist's baby or forcing her to die is not a sensible idea.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow. This is amazing. Good for SD!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
bunch of sexist pigs, taking away a womans right to murder!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah! Let's have a bunch of 16yo mothers out there! Also, lets have more babies up for adoption! More dumpster babies! More coathanger abortions! That's a real great idea...

Exactly what stage into the pregnancy are we talking here? Because there are some people that believe a baby is only a living being beyond certain points. Who are you to decide for others what that point is? What an individual person wishes to do with their body should be none of your fucking business.

Unless it is your wife/gf, you shouldn't have any say in the matter AT ALL. It is a decision to be made by two people involved in a relationship. It is a decision that involves health and financial considerations.

Burdening a woman with a rapist's baby is just wrong.

It's amazing how people complain about the closed mindedness of anti gunners, when they are in fact just as closed minded about other things.

It is because of people like you on the other side of the fence that we have had the AWB and the 1934 ban on machineguns. Look in the mirror.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Abortion is an individuals right. Just like the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Great news!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If it is not rape, incest or a health problem,then grow up and deal with it,everybody always takes the easy way out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How so?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If it is not rape, incest or a health problem,then grow up and deal with it,everybody always takes the easy way out.

And of course you have had the experience of raising a child as a 15yo who made a mistake...right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The SD House does not think like you. I agree with that legal abortion should be allowed for only those three things.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

OK, the 2nd Amendment is clearly spelled out in the constitution.

Where does it say "the right of the people to have abortions, shall not be infringed"?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I must have missed the abortion amendment somewhere. I don't recall seeing one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
The majority isn't always right.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay for us.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Do you believe the constitution is all that governs us as human beings? If so, I feel sorry for you.

*edit* We have natural rights as well
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I agree even if it isn't specifically spelled out. What a person does to or with their body is their business, not the governments.

Realistically the way things are now it should be up to the individual states to decide what they want to allow. Then even if someone wants to have such a procedure they have the option to do so by simply going where it is allowed.

Personally I am against abortion but it is not my place or right to impose my beliefs on other individuals and it shouldn't be the government's duty either.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And of course you have had the experience of raising a child as a 15yo who made a mistake...right?

I have a 16 month old son that i had to fight the mother for,dont preach to me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Do you believe the constitution is all that governs us as human beings? If so, I feel sorry for you.

Oh really? Gee, I wonder if that includes having the right to not have your brain sucked out of your head by some doctor. What about the rights of all of those murdered babies? Who is going to speak for them since they can't speak for themselves?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm quite positive that you avoided the challenge.

*edit* what does your experience have to do with a 15yo girl who is left on her own and will be disowned by the parents?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Oh really? Gee, I wonder if that includes having the right to not have your brain sucked out of your head by some doctor. What about the rights of all of those murdered babies? Who is going to speak for them since they can't speak for themselves?

How can you consider it murder when the baby hasn't even gained conciousness yet?

*edit* so it would be better to have the baby tossed into a dumpster somewhere, instead of having it clinically aborted?

I respectfully agree to disagree, but but I do not agree with people like you taking away the rights of others, simply because you think differently than they do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*edit* what does your experience have to do with a 15yo girl who is left on her own and will be disowned by the parents?

Let me guess your 15 year old got knocked up?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i disagree.  the purpose of abortion restrictions isn't to punish women for having unprotected sex.  it's to protect the life of the unborn baby, and the fact that that baby may have been conceived through rape or incest doesn't change the fact that it's a living human in their eyes.

That's the thing that make some of us  go , "WTF are you thinking?"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't want to get pregnant?
Keep your legs shut.
That seems to help things.
Part of liberty is living with the mistakes you make.
You get pregnant - you keep the kid.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I am currently in a loving relationship with my girlfriend. I myself am 20 and she is 21 We take protective measures to ensure that she does not get pregnant, however, if she ever did, there would be no way in hell that we could raise and support a child. Therefore, it would be better to have it aborted.

*edit* do you think it is better to have a child raised into poverty, or tossed from foster home to foster home?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I am currently in a loving relationship with my girlfriend. I myself am 20 and she is 21 We take protective measures to ensure that she does not get pregnant, however, if she ever did, there would be no way in hell that we could raise and support a child. Therefore, it would be better to have it aborted.

*edit* do you think it is better to have a child raised into poverty, or tossed from foster home to foster home?

............check
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your legs shut.

if only it were that simple...seriously you guys make me think about giving up my guns, just so the religious conservatives won't have control over people's freedom...and that is sad...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son was born when i was 22,and we dont make very much money but it is not that damn hard to feed a child. grow some balls and deal with it.

ETA,me and my girlfriend took measures also,dont think birth control will stop you from being a father.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]
HA!  And if the mother is financially incapable of supporting the child, do YOU want to pay for it?

I know I don't.

As far as the "keeping your legs shut" arguement goes, it is completely unrealistic.  People are going to have sex, period.  Unwanted pregnancies will happen, bringing unwanted chidren, causing my involuntary support of such children.

No thanks.

Quoted:
Keep your legs shut.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your legs shut.

if only it were that simple...seriously you guys make me think about giving up my guns, just so the religious conservatives won't have control over people's freedom...and that is sad...

Bullshit.
It *is* that fucking simple.
I'm 21 years old, and I choose not to have sex, mostly because I don't want to knock up some slut, and then be stuck with her, because I *as a man* would not ditch her, or allow her to abort a kid.
You talk about freedom - what you want is freedom *from* responsibility.
I choose liberty - you make your choices, you live with the consequences.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son was born when i was 22,and we dont make very much money but it is not that damn hard to feed a child. grow some balls and deal with it.

And what do you say when it comes to highschool students who participate in intercourse? And believe me, it is going to occur whether abortion is legal or not. Can they just grow some balls and deal with it? Not everyone will be in as fortunate a situation as you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your legs shut.

WTF?  i don't understand the logic behind that thinking at alll....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
HA!  And if the mother is financially incapable of supporting the child, do YOU want to pay for it?

I know I don't.

As far as the "keeping your legs shut" arguement goes, it is completely unrealistic.  People are going to have sex, period.   Unwanted pregnancies will happen, bringing unwanted chidren, causing my involuntary support of such children.

No thanks.

Quoted:
Keep your legs shut.

Agreed.
So when your girl gets pregnant, man up, and marry her.
What's that?
You don't like her?
Oh well - should have thought about the consequences before you acted.
Tough shit - you made the bed, now lie in it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your legs shut.

Bullshit.
I'm 21 years old, and I choose not to have sex, mostly because I don't want to knock up some slut, and then be stuck with her, because I *as a man* would not ditch her, or allow her to abort a kid.

So,you cant get any?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep your legs shut.

Bullshit.

So,you cant get any?

+1...took the words right outta my mouth...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#48]
holy shit

that's the most blatant ad hominem attack i've ever seen in my life.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#49]

How can you consider it murder when the baby hasn't even gained conciousness yet?

You intend to kill don't you? Isn't that the goal of an abortion, to take away a life and prevent it from having the chance to live? And usually it's just so the parent/s won't be inconvienced? Gee, I guess we should kill anyone or anything that becomes the slightest burden for us.

Do you have any remote clue what you are even talking about? Obviously not.  There are videos of abortions on the net. You should take a look at some. It might enlighten you. When you see a preborn baby attempting to avoid the needle, maybe that will change your mind about "consciousness".

BTW, if your arguments hold water, I guess it would be legal to kill anyone who isn't conscious?

*edit* so it would be better to have the baby tossed into a dumpster somewhere, instead of having it clinically aborted?

No, it would be better if the mother gave birth and raised the baby or put it up for adoption. If she's that unwilling to give birth, then she should keep her legs closed.

I respectfully agree to disagree, but but I do not agree with people like you taking away the rights of others, simply because you think differently than they do.

Disagree all you want. But I don't believe anyone has any RIGHT to an abortion. It's hard to take away rights that have never existed. The only rights in this type of situation is the right and DUTY of the parents (yes, us guys are included) to care for our offspring. If you don't want a baby, there's a simple solution.....don't have sex. Then there is nothing to worry about and you don't have to murder the preborn because you are too irresponsible to deal with the aftermath of your mistakes. Abortion 95% of the time is just that. I could live with a woman having one if it was done to save a life (her's). But most are just a form of post-sex birth control. Those I do have a problem with.  It's all about responsibility for one's actions.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I was a father just after I turned 19, we got these things called jobs and made stuff called money that seemed to support such a situation at the time. Best damn thing that has ever happened in my life but then again some people should not reproduce so I hope you are successful in avoiding such a "disease".

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top