Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:20:15 AM EDT
My wife and I have talked about kids.  I want one or two.  She was reluctant.  However, recently she has decided she wants kids and is moving ahead full speed to get ready (Dr. visit, vitamins, reading books).  

It's amazing how the mind of a women works. Something just kicked in.  We had a plan for starting to try in October she has decided we need to start NOW because it might take some time before we can get pregnant.  

There goes my gun fund.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My wife and I have talked about kids.  I want one or two.  She was reluctant.  However, recently she has decided she wants kids and is moving ahead full speed to get ready (Dr. visit, vitamins, reading books).  

It's amazing how the mind of a women works. Something just kicked in.  We had a plan for starting to try in October she has decided we need to start NOW because it might take some time before we can get pregnant.  

There goes my gun fund.  

like guns for us, they rarely stop at one...

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
practice practice practice....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
bady?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your decision.

#4 for us is in the oven
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
bady?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There goes my gun fund.  

True dat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
bady?

goe easy on him, he's probably drunk.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, "dad," will be the most satisfying title you will ever get.  My children son 20, daugher 18, & son 10, it seems like yesterday that I brought all of them home from the hospital.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, "dad," will be the most satisfying title you will ever get.  My children son 20, daugher 18, & son 10, it seems like yesterday that I brought all of them home from the hospital.

My first turns 1 next week....

I don't know where the year went!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
bady?

The wife and I are going to start working on #2 when I return from Korea in April.  Shouldn't take long after being apart for a year.

49 more days to go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There goes my gun fund.  

Lack of fund is 80% of the problem. Lack of time with the other 80%.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There goes my gun fund.  

Turn off the computer, and give her the baby batter
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Get her a dog.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My Wife wants a Bady  

She'd be better off with a goody.

That being said...   you might as well start preparing now by getting a vasectomy on the sly.

No seriously. Chances are your wife is going to be giving you a serious workout once or twice a day until she catches. You need to start doing some stretching and PT and maybe some yoga and shit like that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#15]
get busy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
bady?

Most want-to-be-parents think their children are going to be angels, at least he seems to admit he's going to get a "Dennis the Menace".

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Seems like women are obsessed with getting pregnant and being pregnant and much less interested in the screaming kid flinging food all over the house.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There goes my gun fund.  

And your sleep fund, your sex fund (after the birth that is), and your money fund. Good luck, you'll need it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Kind of strange but when I think about having kids I first think, "What is this going to cost?"  (food, medical,
clothing, college, etc.)

I've actually heard couples say, "We can't really afford to have a kid but, we'll just make do somehow."

Man, that attitude would drive me insane.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bady?

easy......its a joke  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kind of strange but when I think about having kids I first think, "What is this going to cost?"  (food, medical,
clothing, college, etc.)

I've actually heard couples say, "We can't really afford to have a kid but, we'll just make do somehow."

CMOS

That's probably at least 75% of parents, maybe more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The responsibility for procreating the human race, thankfully, isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
bady?

Whoops baby
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
clothing, college, etc.)

CMOS

The more you have the cheaper it gets with handmedowns and all.....  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There goes my gun fund.  

Quit your moanin'....and get to bonin'
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
git it done.
buy any toys you want now cause i guarantee you cant afford them after ...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Wife wants a Bady  

That being said...   you might as well start preparing now by getting a vasectomy on the sly.

No seriously. Chances are your wife is going to be giving you a serious workout once or twice a day until she catches. You need to start doing some stretching and PT and maybe some yoga and shit like that.

[Blazing Saddles]I will be back as soon as I get some more vitamin E.[/Blazing Saddles]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
clothing, college, etc.)

CMOS

One of my few regrets in life, I should've had my children when I was younger, started at 36.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#29]
DO IT!

My wife and I had thought and talked about having children since getting married 12 years ago but it was never the right time... going to school, living in third world countries, moving from country to country every year or two, having to travel two or three weeks at a time for work, etc.

Three years ago I did a little poll here asking people if they had any regrets about having children and everybody said they had no regrets about it.  My wife and I talked about it and we got serious about trying.  Eight weeks ago we had our first child, a beautiful healthy boy.  Since his arrival I never get more than 3 hours of sleep at a time, I never get more than 6 hours of sleep per day, he vomits/pisses on me daily, my wife is always tired, he makes us spend money on diapers, clothes, etc., he cries, he wants to be held... at 4 in the morning, etc. BUT he is the joy of our life and has made my wife and I become closer than ever.  I would gladly give up all my guns to have him and I would do anything to make him healthy and happy.  Now my wife and I are planning to have our second next year and we are looking to adopt a child from Latin America.

Do it and do it now.  You will have no regrets later... you have regrets later if you don't do it.

Here is a pic of my pride and joy

(anybody who photoshops my boy will be tracked down and hung from the nearest telephone pole)

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
One of my few regrets in life, I should've had my children when I was younger, started at 36.

I just had my first and I'm in my early 40's
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#31]
If you require some help... I can be there at a moments notice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just had my first and I'm in my early 40's

Not a thing wrong with that Yobo.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#33]
just say no
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There goes my gun everything fund.    

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#35]
cute little fella you got there yobo!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Well you know practice makes perfect. And perfect practice makes perfect babies.

Max
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's my boy and I at one of the NorCal ARFCOM shoot's. You get to buy toys again when you get your kids into it. That way your wife can't complain because the two of you are spending quality time together.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, To stay on topic..

I just found out that I am going to be a dad......

Was not ready for that one!!!!

But the more I think about it, the more it seems OK. From what everyone tells me it will be great..

Was really worried about $$$ for the first few weeks, but I just landed a job on the docks so everything should be ok (90-100k a year)

Best of luck to you!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been trying to make showerdrain babies for quite some time now but it just won't happen.  maybe it's the Drano.

BTW congrats and good luck, I don't have any kids so I just buy a bunch of loud annoying stuff for my nephew
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
clothing, college, etc.)

CMOS

I am 36 too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
clothing, college, etc.)

CMOS

I am 36 too.

33 here and we're planning on kids in the next 3 years.  Nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Wife wants a Bady  

[Blazing Saddles]I will be back as soon as I get some more vitamin E.[/Blazing Saddles]

[Space Balls] I said across her nose, not up it! [/Space Balls]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#43]
The Biological clock is an alarm clock.  You can't hear the alarm, but it is all she can hear.

It would have been easier if my wife just had one of those Purdue turkey timers in her.  It pops out = she wants a baby.

A piece of advice-

Many couples look at pregnancy as something you can schedule-   "If it doesn't happen by X date, then SOMETHING IS WRONG."  The medical profession has this view (and it is in their best financial interest to maintain that view), and it is fraught with danger for your relationship with your wife.  I am sure by now your wife is a virtual encyclopedia on this issue, so ask her straight up about what she thinks about fertility treatments.  Get this out in the open.  Fear sells, and women buy a lot of fear.  

Makin' babies should be a great time.  The less stress you both put on the process the better time you will have.  The "I am ovulating, come here breeding partner" theory just doesn't work for me.  

There is a difference between "Trying to have a baby" and "We are not preventing".  

One other piece of advice, and it works:
Take a two week vacation.  You need at least one week to relax and forget about work.  The second week is fun.  Relaxed = pregnant.

Good luck.  The process worked so well for me I got a vasectomy a few months ago.

Oh, and ignore the "you will never get another toy" advice.  I would say that if you have the desire to travel then now is the time.  The restrictions on your time and physical "freedom" are real.  I took my wife to Italy before our first chillin' and it was a smart idea.  

Again, best of luck!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
clothing, college, etc.)

CMOS

According to the US Govt, the average kid costs $170k or thereabouts to raise til age 18. Not including college.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
According to the US Govt, the average kid costs $170k or thereabouts to raise til age 18. Not including college.

Yes, but what you get back from your child is priceless
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As one who doesn't have kids, I'll have to take your word on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As one who doesn't have kids, I'll have to take your word on it.

Ditto.  The wife got her hysterectomy last year, so no "growing pains" to interfere w/ my greedy-bastard goal of increasing material acquisition.  Imperialist dog, I am.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Guys, first time your child looks at your face and smile, you heart will melt and you'll forget all about your sacrifices.  It is soooooo cool.  
As a former DINK trust me on this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#49]
When I got married my wife already had a child from her first marrage. This kid was about 4 years old. She turned out to be a great kid.
AAbout ten years later my wife and I had our first kid together. I was 33 and she was 32. Just before we had the first one, we ended up having two, I thought I knew all there was to know about kids. Ha!
I knew shit about nothing. No sleep, no money, no vacations, lots of shitty diapers. In short, the best time I have ever had. Kids will change how you look at the world as well as how the world looks at you.
Good luck and have fun trying to knock her up!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#50]
It's funny I spent years trying not to knocking someone up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top