Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT
Secret Weapon Rushed to Iraq: Green Laser Pointers
by Joe Katzman on February 9, 2006 04:12 PM

Feel the force...Army Times reports that the US Army Rapid Equipping Force (REF) at Fort Belvoir, VA is expediting the first shipment of 2,000 new laser devices to Soldiers in Baghdad, Iraq. No, not devices like the ones in this $1.37 billion order. Just simple green laser pointers. Having one pointed at you seems to be very effective at stopping aggressive oncoming traffic and personnel as they approach checkpoints et. al. As civilian laser pointers like Megalaser show, hand-held green laser pointers can be quite bright; their beams are visible in low light conditions and carry effectively.

In the past, bright spotlights have been bulky and often ineffective in these situations. Troops obviously began experimenting, and discovered that even harmless laser beams pack a precision and intimidation value that works. According to field reports, aggressive driving in these situations has been reduced 60 to 80% when the devices are used. As has the potential for tragedy.

(X-posted from Defense Industry Daily)

ptmlv
Direct Link | Comments (4) | TrackBacks (0) | Printer-Friendly | E-mail This!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
lol

If it's stupid and it works....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Over a year ago, there was a report posted in this forum from a contractor in Iraq (or was it Afghanistan?) who said essentially the same thing about laser sights: They work great as an intimidation tool. In that thread, it was suggested that laser pointers might work equally well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not, they cause pilots to be blinded when shined into the night sky.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
When had CTC's on our 9mms M92s, trust me they work great at the intimidation thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
are they doing Powerpoint presentations too?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]

As civilian laser pointers like Megalaser

Ouch! $350!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Want a light Saber? Super Laser? Here ya go *pic*

What would happen if something like that were to get in someones eyes?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If its used on Iraqi's, who cares.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, a couple years back I was walking along with a guy whom I will not name, and a kid pointed a laser pointer at him and he did a quick roll and started to grab his CCW until I headed him off and told him it was a kid with a pointer.

I told the kids mom to take the damned thing away from him before he got shot.

"Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz! What's wrong with a laser pointer? He's just a kid!"

I explained that they use them in gunsights yada yada yada....My pal got spooked when he thought he was being drawn down on, etc and so on.

"But it's not a gun, and he's just a kid. blah blah blah."

"OK, Lady, you don't get it. You're obviously not too bright.Let me put it to you this way: It ain't my kid and it means nothing to me if your damned kid gets his head shot off. I don't care. But if you do care, you'd best take that damned thing away from him."

"But, but, but...The police....."

"The average policeman will shoot him for that in a heartbeat."

'I don't understand."

"You don't have to. Just take the pointer away from your kid."

"But...."

"Just do it, dammit." and I walked away.

I did my job as a person, rest is on her.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Them are some badass lasers!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Feel the force...Army Times reports that the US Army Rapid Equipping Force (REF) at Fort Belvoir, VA is expediting the first shipment of 2,000 new laser devices to Soldiers in Baghdad, Iraq.

That ain't the Army Times.

Just saying, is all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's hilarious!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

350 milliwatts would blind you.  you couldnt pay me enough to take a shot from that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
That laser mutated her!!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

static.flickr.com/9/17177914_16b059267c_o.jpg

That's hilarious!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I use one to get my dogs attention, should work fine
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#19]
tag

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!!! That has to be the post of the year, I laughed my ass off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMFG!!! That has to be the post of the year, I laughed my ass off.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
same reason they fear shotguns
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
same reason they fear shotguns

So would a pump shotgun that had a green laser sight and automatically racked itself be considered a weapon of mass destruction?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw Iraqis drive off the road trying to get away from a red laser pointed at them. Freaking hillarious, but it worked.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I saw Iraqis drive off the road trying to get away from a red laser pointed at them. Freaking hillarious, but it worked.

This sorta explains what happened to an idiot mom and her kid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
www.wickedlasers.com

Now selling Blue lasers, and 350 mW Green lasers.  These are handheld devices, and the green ones will burn through a cotton rope in no time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
lol

If its stupid and it works, it isn't stupid. =)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Why not, they cause pilots to be blinded when shined into the night sky.

The laser that was trained on me in 2004 was attached to a rifle. Think about it.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#31]
We're using both red and green and have ordered more green. It's a good TTP.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Either that or they would slam on thier brakes and the guy in back of them would slam right into them.

After a while it got boring doing this and we went back to shooting tires out
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lol

If its stupid and it works, it isn't stupid. =)

Ed Zachery

I used to work at a park that had a road inside of it and we had a problem with folks speeding with kids running all over the place.  Boss wouldn't let us get a radar gun so I " made one " out of a big PVC pipe T and a Gatade bottle.  I'd just park myself in an obvious spot in the morning and point it at the folks that were driving a little to fast,  walla, slower moving cars.

It's all about perception.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Ooo, a Laserpointer....I'm scared now!

I think i'd be more afraid to have a rifle pointed at me. How bout a Ma Deuce, then I might be scared.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think i'd be more afraid to have a rifle pointed at me. How bout a Ma Deuce, then I might be scared.

If you are doing something you shouldn't be doing and you look down to see a red dot on your chest you will stop doing what you are doing, I don't care how tough you think you are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are doing something you shouldn't be doing and you look down to see a red dot on your chest you will stop doing what you are doing, I don't care how tough you think you are.

I was just trying to point out that i don't really know how effective a laser pointer would be to an Iraqi. I think the threat of a loaded weapon pointed at them would be more effective. Iraqis don't have it instilled in their mind that a laser pointer might mean that there is a gun pointed at you. Physically seeing the rifle pointed at you would be more frighening, at least i would think so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just trying to point out that i don't really know how effective a laser pointer would be to an Iraqi. I think the threat of a loaded weapon pointed at them would be more effective. Iraqis don't have it instilled in their mind that a laser pointer might mean that there is a gun pointed at you. Physically seeing the rifle pointed at you would be more frighening, at least i would think so.

I fully agree with you.

Maybe it has something to do with the difference in societies. In Iraq they are born and raised with people carrying guns in the streets, introduce and laser (something they rarely see) and they freak out. Vice versa for Americans, here lasers are a kids toy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most Iraqis are not afraid of M16s, they know you will not shoot them. but when you pull a knife or shotgun, or a pistol they become very compliant. its their raising. Sadams assasins used used those items. thats what instills the fear of lasers pistols shotguns and pissed off guys with knives
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most Iraqis are not afraid of M16s, they know you will not shoot them. but when you pull a knife or shotgun, or a pistol they become very compliant. its their raising. Sadams assasins used used those items. thats what instills the fear of lasers pistols shotguns and pissed off guys with knives

I guess only time will tell us what will work in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
When laser sights first came out maybe 15 years ago or so, I recall an article about prison guards putting down disturbances by simply shining them on prisoners.

About 8 years ago the question came up in my agency about whether or not you could shoot someone who hit you with a laser beam (the short answer is no).

It amazing how things are forgotten and relearned!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top