Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:27:24 AM EDT

My wife gets them occasionally but not too often...A few nights ago she got floored by a monster.  Doctor gave her a couple of prescriptions but nothing seems to work..One of the ladies I work with gets them so bad they make her puke.  Anybody have any positive experiences fighting migraines?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My mother has has them for years...she started doing two things, she went a to masseuse and him massage her head and it helped. The she tried something new, she went to a doctor and began anabaric chamber treatments. She has'nt had a migrane in years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Naked Gunman meant hyperbaric treatments.

I get migrains about 3 to 5 times a year.  Mine always start with a visual disturbance and I know what is coming after that.  I have found that if I immediately take 800 mg ibuprofen, 1000 mg tylenol and lay down in a dark room, it is usually very effective at keeping the migraine to a minimum, both time and intensity.

If your wife has any prodromal symptoms (in other words, can tell when it is coming on) she shoud try this.

good luck.  it is no fun at all
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Massive doses of ibuprofen as soon as she knows it's coming.

Also, a BIG source of relief for her are the 'head on' product, which is basically menthol on her forehead, and the 'migraine ice' products which is a long lasting cooling pad on her forehead.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The wife takes Topomax and Imitrex.    Last time they gave her the Imitrex injections to see if they would act quicker.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine gets a shot of Demerol in the ass, seems to take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Have her see John Redcorn.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Last week I had one so bad it woke me from a sound sleep.  A half hour later I was in the bathroom puking my guts out.  Big fun.

If I catch it coming on Excedrine works for me, but not always.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Last week I had one so bad it woke me from a sound sleep.  A half hour later I was in the bathroom puking my guts out.  Big fun.

For some reason I had thought Migraines were rare among men..I might end up being wrong on that
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to get them. One day, on the radio, I heard a list of "The ten foods you should never eat". One of these was nutrasweet,which apparently gives some people migranes. I stopped using anything with this in it, and the migranes went away and have never come back.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Acupuncture has "cured" me of Cluster headaches - a form a migraines.  

I visited multiple neurologists, tried every medicine known, and while some were effective at masking the pain, nothing else actually prevents the pain.  

I would give it a try!!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason I had thought Migraines were rare among men..I might end up being wrong on that

2 in the last 3 weeks no fun and im a man.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For some reason I had thought Migraines were rare among SINGLE men..I might end up being wrong on that

Fixed it.  

I suffer from them, as does my wife.

I use Fiorocet, she uses Amerge.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife had them. She would get them once a week or so.

She hurt her back and went to see a Chiropractor (A good one not a quack). In fixing her back the conversation turned to head aches and migranes she told him about them. He did an adjustment and she has not had a migrane for 3-4 months now.

Though hers were not as bad as you described. Painfull and Excedrine would bearly touch it but not puking bad. A Chiro might be something to look into, just research them first; it seems like there are alot of quack Chiro's out there. We got lucky and found a good one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Migrains are caused by caffine (or other stimulant) withdrawl. Have her compleatly abstain from caffine (even chocolate and green tea), and she will never have another. PM me if you need details.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if they are migraines, but I get something like that.  It feels like someone shoving an ice pick into the left side of the base of my skull.  Sometimes so bad I almost go blind.

I just try standing under a hot shower as long as the heater will keep up.  I usually try Goodies.  Works well on regular headaches, but not much for these.

They haven't bothered me much the last couple of years.  I didn't change my diet or anything, still eat meat and potatoes!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I get them... Worst pain I have ever felt.

I have wondered how that headache stick works they advertise on TV.

All that works for me is massive doses of Ibuprofen and quiet and dark. And a large bag of ice on my head. I usually start puking about 1/2 way through it so I know that there's a little light at the end of the chunder.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#18]
John Redcorn
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I used to get them. One day, on the radio, I heard a list of "The ten foods you should never eat". One of these was nutrasweet,which apparently gives some people migranes. I stopped using anything with this in it, and the migranes went away and have never come back.

My wife is allergic to aspertame/Nutrasweet.  It gives her a horrible migraine if she eats anything that has even a small amount.

She still gets them every couple of months.  She takes Imitrex for them, and it helps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Multiple Excedrin or hydrocodone or oxycodone. Depending on the severity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine alternate sides of the head. A pounding pain behind the eyeball, in tune with my heartbeat. When I was a kid, I used to let them progress to full-blown puke mode, but I have since learned better.

I take 4 ibuprophin when I feel one coming on. That usually keeps it from fully developing.
I have a bottle at work, one in my car, and one at home.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#22]
One word:
Heroin.

Just kidding

My daughter gets these once in a while. After reading some of these posts I think the nutrasweet thing makes sense.

She takes advil as soon as she feels it coming on. This normally fixes it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#23]
My Fiancee gets them.

Typically, she can nuke them when they start with a couple Excedrin Migraine, or going straight to sleep.  We're pretty sure hers are caused by low blood sugar, 'cause they usually happen when she skips a meal.  It's happened less since she moved in with me, I keep a more regular schedule, and now she gets at least 2 meals a day at a civilized time.

One problem with Excedrin Migraine is that it's loaded with Caffiene, so don't plan on sleeping for a few hours.  One tip - all Ex Mig. is is 1.5 Asprin's and an Extra Strength Tylenol, plus the Caffiene.  So you can roll your own if it keeps you awake.

She also has some more powerful stuff, but it knocks her senseless for a day or more.  She hasn't used that in a couple years.  Probably should have last year, but she was on a business trip and couldn't take the downtime.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I get them, too.  Have one right now as a matter of fact.  I usually get them right at that time of the month(sorry, guys).  I've taken everything from barbituates, to fiorinol, to oxycontin for them. (the latter doesn't do anything for the pain, but makes me feel better, and I could care less if I have a migraine or not.)

I get regular headaches daily.  As soon as I wake up, I'm popping the ibuprofen.  Just normal daily activity for me.  Wake up, brush teeth, pop pills.  Believe it or not, sex helps my headaches.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Guys get em too..

The Imitrex works, but the side effects are really strange. My doctor made me sit in the waiting room while taking the first dose because some people freak out. It constricts your blood vessels and airway a little, almost a feeling like being squished by something. It wasn't as bad as he said, but it was kinda weird.

Turns out in my case it was stress, taking on too much at work and school. I did a little less and slept a little more and poof..the headaches have been gone for three months
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I get them.  I puke also.  So I have prescription "oh crap I feel one coming on" meds that seem to work relatively well, although they are barbituate-based.  Amidrine.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine can be set off by lack of food, lack of sleep, and sometimes, nothing at all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes, I know a womam who avoids migraines by watching her diet. Sausage is something she has to avoid.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
25% of migraine sufferers are male.

There are 2 basic types of "migraine" headaches- Classic migraine and Common migraine

CRS at work here [ too many migraines ] In one you puke your guts out. In the other you don't. Do a google search.

When I was younger mine followed the - aura, tunnel vision, pain, puking, seek dark room to die phases without fail.

Migraines can be triggered by :

Foods : An amazing array of foods can trigger migraines.  Most true migraines are caused by brain chemistry imbalances or sensitivities in individuals and therefore it follows that certain foods are going to be problems for certain people.  Tomatoes. Beans. Aged Cheese. Some Fish. Pork [ usually to do with preservatives ].  Chocolate. Alcohol.

Most migraine sufferers will do much better eating more smaller meals than 2 or 3 larger meals.

Sleep:  Too little sleep. Too much sleep. Try to keep a consistent schedule. You have to find what works for you.

Exercise. Over exertion.  If you are out of shape work back up gradually.  

Any sort of neck and back issues can be problems for migraine sufferers.

That time of the month. Yep. Big body chemistry changes. Affects the brain in more ways than just the temper

Weather changes. Last week Atlanta had several days of rain the morning and sunshine in the late afternoon. Blamo.  5AM migraines about 5 days in a row  Thank god for Imitrex and ins.

Stress. Try to keep it under control. It will eventually kill you.

Odors, smoke, fumes, etc. These are transported up the nose and into the bloodstream where they .... alter the bloodchemistry and mess up the brain's chemical balance.

Cronic migraine suffers have a terrible and unfair burden and if you know one or live with one support them in everyway you can.

A good neurologist may recommend an epilepsy drug for the truly acute migraine sufferer [ like me and some of the other posters ]. What they are seeking to acheive is a 50% reduction in number of episodes and a 50% reduction in the severity of the pain.  There is no magic bullet for the person suffering for severe migraine attacks. Most people that get 'complete relief from migraine' were not actually having migraines in the first place or were in a temporary situation of extremely high stress......... or died

rj

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yes, I know a womam who avoids migraines by watching her diet. Sausage is something she has to avoid.

I hope not all types of  "sausage."

Actually, my wife has cut sausage and many other foods out of her diet to help with her migraines as well as overall health.  She seems to be doing a lot better now that she eats more fresh produce and less preservatives.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I know lots of people who get migraines, and all of them have had their best luck with Imitrex.  It has the fastest onset of action of any medicine in its class.  It makes my fiance groggy, but it stops the migraine.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Nothing a protein injection never cured.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife has had migraines for the last 7 or 8 years and they have worsened to the point that she has been hospitalized on several ocasions with a morphene drip to help with the pain.  She has tried everything including antiseizure meds, accupuncture, chiropractic, diet.  She currently getsshots of something called DHE that helps somewhat.  Fortunately they started comming on while she was on active duty in the military so she gets VA disibility since she can't hold down a job and be puking and crying in pain at the same time.  She allways got the worst ones around "that time of the month" so I believe hers are mostly hormone related.  Some women get relief after menopause, or after having their ovaries removed and being placed on synthetic hormones.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Chewing a small portion of snake root helps migrain headaches. Snake root should be available from a natural foods store.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope not all types of  "sausage."

Actually, my wife has cut sausage and many other foods out of her diet to help with her migraines as well as overall health.  She seems to be doing a lot better now that she eats more fresh produce and less preservatives.

It is the nitraites in processed meats that you need to look out for...  Fresh meat is typically ok.

I was using Imitrex and Midrin before I found the acupuncture.  Problem is that the vasioconstrictors are hard on your vessels and arteries.  

In the type of headaches I was having, Cluster Migraines, you get them in groups.  They are much more common in men then women, and much more painful than a traditional migraine, actually they are the most painful form of migraine.  You dont have the nausa, auras etc, just intense pain, described as stabbing or knifelike, normally behind the left eye.  Sleep is not possible, actually, quite the opposite, you run around banging your head on the floor, walls, etc.   Prior to pain medicine being invented over 50% of the Cluster sufferers committed suicide.  Even with the pain meds, I had considered it early on as the pain is just so intense.  

Anyway, I would have 4 or 5 different headaches a day, each lasting a couple of hours.  Take the Imitrex, headache goes away, 3 hours later, another one starts and you have to take more medicine.  Bad cycle to be in.  These 4-5 a day would last for up to eight weeks, then be gone for 6 months.  I was obviously taking well over the rec doses of the meds, every day.  I was even having to swith between the meds on each headache to help with the effectiveness.  

Many migraine suffers also get rebound headaches.  These are caused from coming off all the migraine medicine.  These are not good either.  

It is good support for those of you who are personally suffering, and those who have significant others suffering, to talk about what is working and what is not with other sufferers.  I found www.clusterheadaches.com and it sure helped me to know that I was not alone, and that there are alternative treatments out there.  Don't get me wrong, I am no tree hugger etc.  I just mean that there are other things to try vs. simply pain meds.  Pure oxygen works for some, sniffing cayenne pepper works for some (yes, sniffing it like coke - I tired it and it hurts so damn bad you almost forget aobut the headache).  Chirporactic, acupuncture, etc.  Keep trying things until you find what works for you.  

The deal is that you have to find what is causing them, or what prevents them.  Just masking the pain will never last over the long term.  I had a neurologist tell me that I would probably be dead by 50, from a stroke, simply due to overworking the vessels with meds if I could not get my cycles to lighten up or stop.    

Anyway, since I found acupuncture, I have not had a single headache in 3 years!!   Now, when I begin to feel the cycle coming on, I simply go get a couple of treatments and the cylce passes with no headaches.  I feel a bit off for a month or so, but NO headaches.  I had been having them from the time I was 17 until I was 32, I am 35 now.  I have not changed a single other thing in my life.  Diet and exercise, same.  Stress, same.  Location, same.  I know this is what works for me.    

It will not work for everybody, but it will work for some, and to those out there suffering, IT IS WORTH THE TRY.  It has changed my life, simple as that.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#36]
What's a "headache"? I do not envy you people at all. I'm one of those lucky ones who just does not get headaches, much less migraines. Both of my wives (one at a time of course) suffered from migraines. It made life difficult because I could not relate, no way, no how.

I do know one thing for sure though that works for women....

If your wife / GF feels a migraine coming on....start having sex. Right away. Before it gets bad. No kidding, it always worked for them. Something about the hormones released during sex makes them stop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What's a "headache"? I do not envy you people at all. I'm one of those lucky ones who just does not get headaches, much less migraines. Both of my wives (one at a time of course) suffered from migraines. It made life difficult because I could not relate, no way, no how.

I do know one thing for sure though that works for women....

If your wife / GF feels a migraine coming on....start having sex. Right away. Before it gets bad. No kidding, it always worked for them. Something about the hormones released during sex makes them stop.

She's had the same one on and off for a couple of days..I work Nights...she works days..we have 3 kids between 9 mos and 5 years old...What is this SEX that you speak of?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Imitrex, but don't get the shot, the side effects are a handful.

What works for me is pressing on the "top" of my nose, just below my brow, kind of in that low spot.  It really works well.

Of course, pressure on the affected temple is an old favorite.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#39]
She's been taking Imitrex for the past couple of days...no help so far but it has helped in the past
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
.  Some women get relief after menopause, or after having their ovaries removed and being placed on synthetic hormones.

Yepper. It's a curse.

rj
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I recommend Dr. modog's Root Injection with Twin-Ball Ointment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What's a "headache"? .

My standard come back is:

'You don't have anything up there to cause you any pain'

rj
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Demerol works for my migraines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
The only thing I found that works for my migraines is Extra Strength Excedrin.
I take 3 pills and two glasses of water.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Have her see John Redcorn.

img236.imageshack.us/img236/4311/johnredcorn9fn.jpg

damn beat me to it
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#46]
ex-wife got them so bad she would pass out got a medication called migranall it was a nasal sprya that worked quick but was like $50(well i remeber it costing a lot not sure of  the real price) a dose....thank god for Medical insurance......
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Nobody mentioned Feverfew. Dr. Dean Edell use to reccomend it. My headaches are probably nerve pain but along the way I also realized that the psuedoephridine I was taking for what I thought were sinus headaches was making me puke.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I recommend Dr. modog's Root Injection with Twin-Ball Ointment.

Didn't the FDA ban that shit?(if not they shoulda!)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I get them. It's always the left side of my head, laying down and keeping my heart rate low is the only thing that will get rid of them and it takes a few hours of sedentary activity to rid myself of one. The headaches came with the hormonal changed that came with puberty, they usually start with a twinge behind my eye and spread to the whole left side of my head. Sometimes they make me puke, but it's rare.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top