Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:43:36 AM EDT
I downloaded Firefox, but when I try to use it, it just opens the window, and the screen stays white. It doesn't seem to connect to the internet.

I am using IE right now on the same computer with no problem.

What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you type a URL in the address bar?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes, and it will say at the bottom of the screen "looking up XXXXX" but nothing happens
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
do you require a proxy?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
do you require a proxy?

You are asking me questions above my pay grade

This is my home computer
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try going into the settings and make Firefox the default browser.
Other than that, don'y know. Mine cranked right up fine. I don't use FF for arfcom anymore though. For some reason the graphics here play hell with the rendering of the layout.

Firefox reports that it is the default browser
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and it will say at the bottom of the screen "looking up XXXXX" but nothing happens

That means it can't resolve names. IE works just fine? Have you ever installed Firefox on this machine before?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That means it can't resolve names. IE works just fine? Have you ever installed Firefox on this machine before?

This is a reinstall of Firefox to get the updated version
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#9]
And yes, IE works fine
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah. Compeltely uninstall it (use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel) and then re-install. That should take care of it.

EDIT: Oh, save your bookmarks first, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah. Compeltely uninstall it (use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel) and then re-install. That should take care of it.

Already tried that
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Firefox not working

What are the odd's of that....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Tools -> Options -> Connection Settings...

You don't have a proxy specified, do you? Is the "Direct Connection to the Internet" radio button selected?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tools -> Options -> Connection Settings...

You don't have a proxy specified, do you? Is the "Direct Connection to the Internet" radio button selected?

"Direct connection to the internet" is selected
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#15]
restart your computer?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
restart your computer?

several times already
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#17]
It's possible that your profile is screwed up. I'm not sure it gets deleted when you uninstall Firefox. Before we get into that...

Have you ever installed any extensions or themes? It's possible that an old extension or theme isn't working properly with Firefox. Again, I'm not sure these get nuked when you uninstall Firefox.

Start Firefox in Safe Mode. (Start -> Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). This will start Firefox with the default theme and with all the extensions disabled. See what that does.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Are you running any type of firewall?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's possible that your profile is screwed up. I'm not sure it gets deleted when you uninstall Firefox. Before we get into that...

Have you ever installed any extensions or themes? It's possible that an old extension or theme isn't working properly with Firefox. Again, I'm not sure these get nuked when you uninstall Firefox.

Start Firefox in Safe Mode. (Start -> Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). This will start Firefox with the default theme and with all the extensions disabled. See what that does.

It does the same thing in safe mode
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The windows firewall is off. I run Norton Internet Security. Disabling the Norton firewall (or all of Norton I.S.) changes nothing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you use any extensions?  If so, it's possible they are not compatible with the latest version and are locking it up.  To see if it's an extension problem, try running it in safemode like this:

Click Start -> Run

Type "firefox -safe-mode" (without the quotes).

Click OK

Note: if it doesn't run, you might need to put a path on firefox (C:\Program Files\Mozilla\firefox or something like that).

This should launch firefox with the extensions disabled.  You can then try uninstalling the extensions one at a time to see if the problem clears.  If this doesn't help then I don't know what else it could be.

LL
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Do you use any extensions?  If so, it's possible they are not compatible with the latest version and are locking it up.  To see if it's an extension problem, try running it in safemode like this:

Click Start -> Run

Type "firefox -safe-mode" (without the quotes).

Click OK

Note: if it doesn't run, you might need to put a path on firefox (C:\Program Files\Mozilla\firefox or something like that).

This should launch firefox with the extensions disabled.  You can then try uninstalling the extensions one at a time to see if the problem clears.  If this doesn't help then I don't know what else it could be.

LL

Same result as running it in safe mode from All Programs
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, I think I've got it narrowed down to your profile. Uninstall Firefox again. Delete your profile. Your profile is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Mozilla. Just nuke the Mozilla folder. Re-install Firefox.

Let me know how that goes.

If that doesn't work, we can try some other things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh, deleting your profile will nuke any and all extensions, themes, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#25]
So, did you try deleting your profile? Do you have an update?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The windows firewall is off. I run Norton Internet Security. Disabling the Norton firewall (or all of Norton I.S.) changes nothing.

omg.   i guarantee its NIS.   its notorious for blocking programs from accessing the web.   uninstall it and firefox will work.

buy something worth installing on your computer

nod32
panda
avast  free for home users
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sorry for the delay..had to go have lunch with the GF...and now I have to head to work (driving truck, going to California today). This is taking longer than I thought it would..I will resurrect this thread when I am able to get back to it
Thanks SubnetMask for your help this far

-BB
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]
FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

You have fallen for one of the biggest scams around. Firefox is nothing more than software thrown together by a bunch of "know-it-all" teenie geeks from all around the world. FOR FREE!!
It's a joke! DELETE IT! Get the latest version of Explorer and enjoy your time online.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

You have fallen for one of the biggest scams around. Firefox is nothing more than software thrown together by a bunch of "know-it-all" teenie geeks from all around the world. FOR FREE!!
It's a joke! DELETE IT! Get the latest version of Explorer and enjoy your time online.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the delay..had to go have lunch with the GF...and now I have to head to work (driving truck, going to California today). This is taking longer than I thought it would..I will resurrect this thread when I am able to get back to it
Thanks SubnetMask for your help this far

-BB

You're welcome!

Have a safe trip, and be mindful of the CHP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

wtf are you talking about.  if you don't have anything helpfull to say..   kindly stfu
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
agreed with cruze5 on both posts, anything norton SUCKS, have had many experiences where norton could not pick up there was viruses on a computer. I installed avast which is a very good free (legally) or you can buy it I think the pro version, on a computer that previously had norton and in all it detected and removed 6 viruses. And yes all you nortonites I ran a scan on the computer before I took that junk off.

P.S. AOL is POS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already tried that

Not so fast.  Are you "upgrading" or re-installing"?  If you are upgrading you need to leave the original intact.  Don't un-install it first.  Install the "upgrade" over the original.  If you don't leave the original intact, the upgrade by itself, needs some of the original to work.  Or at least when I upgraded by uninstalling first.

Try reinstalling the lower version and then the upgrade over it.  That's what I had to do.

If it's a new install, make sure you are installing a full version and not just an upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure if I can explain this right, but did you enter the information for your provider?  have you set your homepage?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

Crack: It's not just for smoking anymore!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#36]
UPDATE: Apparently it was the Norton Internet Security that was causing the problems. Some of you will no doubt not be surprised.

I uninstalled the NIS, and the started the Firefox browser. It connected and worked normally. However, I am not comfortable running my computer without an internet security program, so reinstalled the NIS. Everything is now working as it should.

As an interesting side note, this computer is only a couple of months old. It is a Dell XPS 400. I got out the Norton Internet Security reinstall CD, and I noticed that the product code on the sleeve was different than the one that came up on the computer when I checked it. I reinstalled the NIS, and when I registered it, I had to enter a product key. The one originally in the computer did not work (it came back as invalid). So I had to use the product key on the reinstallation CD sleeve. I was hoping to use the other product code until the original 15 month subscription to updates ran out. I don't know why Dell supplied a reinstallation CD with a different product key than the one originally installed in the computer at the factory, but then again this computer's operating system is XP Media Center, and the operating system reinstall CD is XP Pro!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

Crack: It's not just for smoking anymore!

+1

That guy needs to get himself a clue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top