Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:14 AM EDT
I am buying a brand new house that has a gas water heater, gas range and gas heat. It has a big propane tank the size of a car that is buried in the back yard and must be filled up regularly. If you have a similar setup, please tell me the square-footage of your house, what part of the country you are in, and how much your normal propane bill is. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
electricity is for cooling, propane is for heating

sounds like you have the optimal setup to be as efficient as you can.  don't sweat it!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ask this guy about propane and propane accessories.

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/texcar.jpg

TRG

i hate you even more than i hate that photoshop!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The propane tank may seem huge, but inessence, propane is a component in making gasoline, but it has something like 1/2 the energy of gasoline, so you need quite a bit of propane.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Howdy.  I live in Michigan and have an above Ground 500 Gallon LP Tank and all LP appliances.

LP furnace - 80000 btu input - keeps house at 60F when wife and I are gone during the day.  As soon as I get home I build a fire in the woodstove.  The woodstove brings the house temp up to 70 -75 and the furnace shuts off within an hour.  If I don't get up between 2am and 4am to feed the woodstove the temp in the house will be down to 60 at 5 am and the furnace will kick on a few times right before I wake up in the morning.  I also have a 32000 btu input water heater and an LP stovetop and oven.  I pretty much run wood heat during the weekends.

I used 200 gallons of LP @ 1.99/gal to heat my house for the months of December and January.  I will probably have another 150 to 200 gallons used for February, March and April.  Then maybe 100 gallons will get used between the beginning of April and mid November.

I have a 2000 square foot 2 story house with a very open floorplan.  No heat ducts run upstairs because it's 80 up there if it is 70 down stairs.  I haven't figured out my BTU per heating degree day per square foot requirements, but that would be the best way to compare my info with info from other homes.

The price of propane for me varies between $1.60 and $2 per gallon over the course of the year.  

J
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top