Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:33:09 AM EDT
Article

Of course this happened in the People's Republic of Mass.

Boy, 6, hit with sex harass rap
By Laura Crimaldi and Casey Ross
Wednesday, February 8, 2006 - Updated: 03:24 PM EST

An irate Brockton mother is refusing to let her 6-year-old son return to school after he was suspended for alleged sexual harassment, a term deemed “preposterous” for a first-grader by a leading sexual harassment expert.

More on: School harassment  

High court backed an elementary school case
While contact not unusual, most kids don’t understand issue

“My son doesn’t know what sexual harassment is,” said Berthena Dorinvil. “He keeps saying to me, ‘Mommy, why are they being so mean to me? What did I do wrong?’ ”

Dorinvil’s son, a first-grader at Downey Elementary School, was suspended for three days Jan. 30 after school officials accused him of inappropriately touching a girl in his class.

Dorinvil said school officials told her the boy had put two fingers inside the waistband of the girl’s pants and touched her skin, causing the girl to complain to teachers.

“I think to call it sexual harassment is preposterous and it trivializes the episodes that really are sexual harassment,” said sexual harassment and bullying expert Nan Stein, who is a senior research scientist at Wellesley College’s Center for Research on Women. “I applaud them for their vigilance, but they have to use better terminology with kids.”

According to the Brockton school’s Web site, sexual harassment is defined as “repeated, unwanted, or unwelcomed verbalisms or behaviors of a sexist nature related to a person’s sex or sexual orientation. In addition sexual harassment includes unwelcomed sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.”

The policy also includes a six-step process for reporting and investigating sexual harassment allegations. The policy requires a written account of the alleged harassment submitted by the accuser and a meeting between the alleged harasser and a principal or school administrator.

The state Department of Education requires each school to develop a non-discrimination policy which covers harassment and bullying, said spokeswoman Melanie Winklosky. Schools are expected to explain those policies in age-appropriate language, Winklosky said.  

Dorinvil said no one contacted her about their concerns until Jan. 30 when she was instructed to pick her son up from school.

“When I got there, they had all this paperwork in front of them,” Dorinvil said. “They said they had already called the district attorney and school police.”

“I was shocked. I was crying. I was out of control because I see that this is not fair,” Dorinvil said.

Brockton schools spokeswoman Cynthia E. McNally said administrators followed the school policy in investigating the harassment claims. She declined to say whether the boy was previously disciplined for his treatment of this female classmate.

“We take all allegations of sexual harassment very seriously,” Superintendent Basan Nembirkow said in a statement. “An investigation is always conducted when reports of sexual harassment arise.” The school declined further comment, citing “private” student records.

Dorinvil said her son had never been in trouble at the school before and expressed disbelief that her son was treated so harshly.

“I asked them, ‘Did my son commit a felony? I told them that this is discrimination,” she said.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny coming from a State loaded with Kennedys

Friggin idiots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations, assholes. You just ruined a little boy's life. Flaming fucktards.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Zero tolerance = zero intelligence
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Of course it sexual harassment! Only elected officials are allowed to put their fingers in little girl’s pants. Like Presidents and Senators, then it is OK they were asking for it.

This is from the same people who have elected a senator who drove his pregnant girlfriend into a river. What do you expect?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Total lunacy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Congratulations, assholes. You just ruined a little boy's life. Flaming fucktards.

+1, what in the hell is the world coming to with this kind of shit going on?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Obviously the mother is inept and should be re-educated....while her boy is in the loving care of the state.

roy d....don't forget to cut the kid's pecker off....we wouldn't want him to grow up a predator
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435337
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top