Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:29:02 AM EDT
OK here is a homework assignment if you have one of these stores near you.

Trader Joe's Super Nutty Toffee Clusters Cereal.

That is the BEST ever!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Step OFF!!!

Their pesto/sundried tomato dip is the stuff of the gods!

It is the ONLY reason to hit Trader Joes!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Step OFF!!!

OH REALLY????

Im sorry but I have to go with the Nuclear Option with you.... You better strap yourself in because what I am about to hit you with you CANNOT top.
ready?
CARNE ASADA!!!!... to die for!!!! TOP THAT!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Step OFF!!!

OH REALLY????

Im sorry but I have to go with the Nuclear Option with you.... You better strap yourself in because what I am about to hit you with you CANNOT top.
ready?
CARNE ASADA!!!!... to die for!!!! TOP THAT!

Carne...blah blah blah.

Did I NOT just say the pesto, sundried tomato dip?

You are NOT worthy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
No seriously have you tried the asada? HONESTLY have you tried it? I have gone to the Supermercado in Whittier that is WORLD FAMOUS for their asada (Even did a segment on the Food Channel) so I grabbed me a cooler, dry ice and picked some of this up... It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

But, Trader joes was better.

sun dried tomatoes makes me gag... as well as eggplant.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like some kind of hippy west-coast thing.

Do they do calonics there too? Or, just give you a wheatgrass infusion?

We only have stores that serve steak and milkshakes. If you want green shit or noodles you have to grow it or go to an Amish shop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Two words:

Pound Plus
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Charles Shaw delicious $1.99 wine.  The real reason for Trader Joes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

AH YESSSSSSSSS .... "2 Buck Chuck"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:34:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
When my GF lived in Boston, she used to bring me down the garlic pistachios all the time. They are bangin!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want heaven in a bottle, try any of their "simmer sauces" with chicken or shrimp. unbelievable and easy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I go there every week.

Trader Joe's/Wilshire Farms turkey bacon -- 0% fat and tasty
Beef Taquitos
Chicken chow mein
Jalapeno chicken sausage
Chicken & bean burritos

(trying to lose some weight, if it wasn't obvious from the above list)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe I'm tagging a grocery store thread, but:

Tag for home.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can't believe I'm tagging a grocery store thread, but:

Tag for home.

I cant believe it either Nancy!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I recommend the HUMMUS DIP & INDIAN NAN BREAD or MIDDLE EASTERN FLAT BREAD
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Beefsteak tomatoes
Chicken stock
Organic, free range chickens (so good)
Hummus and pita
4 buck chuck (TJ's Coastal... so good)
Organic, free range eggs (orange yolks and so much better)
A nice selection of very good beer

So many reasons to go to TJ's
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Two words:

Pound Plus

Two other words:

German owned.

Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, a German discount supermarket chain.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two words:

Pound Plus

Two other words:

German owned.

10 years ago, it was owned by an USA family in So. Pasadena Calif, but the owner was getting old and the children didn't want to run the store anymore, at that time it was sold a Middle Eastern investor, I guess it has been sold to German super market chain.  They've cut back on many of the items that made Trader Joe's famous.

www.traderjoes.com
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Aldi's is the shizzle. some of their storebrands really are just as good as the real thing. limited selectrion but incredible prices.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Their chocolate covered espresso beans are to die for!  Trader Joe's
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two words:

Pound Plus

Two other words:

German owned.

10 years ago, it was owned by an USA family in So. Pasadena Calif, but the owner was getting old and the children didn't want to run the store anymore, at that time it was sold a Middle Eastern investor, I guess it is part of the German super market chain.  They've cut back on many of the items that made Trader Joe's famous.

www.traderjoes.com
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Their Homestyle Salsa Especial is some of the best store bought salsa EVER!

Oh, and the two buck Chuck.  $23.88 for a case of good wine?  Heck, at that price I could pass out bottles at Halloween!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Aldi's is the shizzle. some of their storebrands really are just as good as the real thing. limited selectrion but incredible prices.

And ALDI is here in the US, too. My wife and I ,who have German family and have lived in Germany for years, were amazed to see one outside Philly, and sent pics of it to the relatives. Funny enough, everybody working in there was black, and had no idea ALDI was a German company.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Do they still sell Buffalo Steak and burgers?  There was one right outside the back gate to the Presidio of Monterey that I used to do most of my shopping at.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Some info:

Charles Shaw (aka "2 Buck Chuck") is only available at Trader Joes stores. It is produced by Bronco Wines, which is owned by the Franzia family (yes, the same Franzia that sells box wines).

To those who say this is "bad, cheap wine", I'd have to disagree. And also agree. It depends on the bottle you get.

The reason we have this wine right now is that there is a glut of unsold wine on the market-- some from very well known producers.

When you own a winery, you make a certain amount of wine each year. In good years, it all sells. In bad years, it doesn't, and you have lots and lots of leftover stock just sitting there-- bringing you no revenue.

Let's say you need revenue. You need to get some cash for this bottled (or barreled) wine so you can afford to pay your staff, or put in new vineyards, or let's say you just need the space for the new vintage coming in.

It's all about cashflow.

Bronco buys the wine used in "2 Buck Chuck" (2BC) from a variety of wineries who need to get rid of their wines for cashflow reasons-- and therein lies the problem:

You can get a great bottle of 2BC, and a lousy bottle of 2BC-- it all depends on who Bronco bought the wine from.

I can say that I've had pretty horrible Merlot and Cab 2BCs, and I've also had some incredible 2BC Cab and Merlot--easily comparable to wine that's $10-15 a bottle.

Once the wine market picks back up, the better wineries will go back to selling most of their stock. At that point they're not going to *need* to sell it cheap to Bronco-- which means the quality of 2BC is going to go down, once the overall market picks up.

In other words, as soon as the market improves and more folks buy wines for $14 a bottle, the producers will no longer sell off their $14/bottle wine to Trader Joe's $2 a bottle. You'll be getting the same wine, but it'll cost a lot more with the "designer label".

Ironic, eh?

In the meantime, if you find a really tasty batch of 2BC, don't be afraid to stock up. Just realize that the next shipment that comes in probably won't taste the same.

Russ Herschelmann
Innkeeper
Napa Old World Inn

Best kept secrets are the Sauvignon Blanc and Gamay Beaujolais.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A nice selection of very good beer

No alcohol sales in grocery stores here in PA.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Aldi is the main competition for Wal-Mart in Europe.  The story goes that the two brothers that formed Aldi bought Trader Joes for some younger members of their family to run.

Trader Joe's is about the only grocerty retailer that has found a niche to compete successfully against Wal-Mart here in the US.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone who lives in Cali but buys Two Buck Chuck should have their head examined. There is so much good, inexpensive wine that rules over 2BC.

My favorite at TJ's is Jameson Irish Whisky. They sell the 1 liter size for the same price that other stores sell the 750mL.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]
TJ has a nice selection of fine beer and liquor, too.  Try the Trader Joe Dark Ale, it's really good.  Their red French table wines are made with genuine red French table.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

We only have stores that serve steak and milkshakes. If you want green shit or noodles you have to grow it or go to an Amish shop.

Ther is one about 2 miles from my house at Easton.  I have never been there but I have been to Whole Foods and Wild Oats but there is not much there I was interested in though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#32]
TJs is great.  Lately I like their flax-seed tortilla chips (with their plain old salsa) and their dry pepper salami.  Great place for dried fruit too.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ther is one about 2 miles from my house at Easton.  I have never been there but I have been to Whole Foods and Wild Oats but there is not much there I was interested in though.

I have a Whole Foods less than a block from my place.  I prefer to walk the 10 blocks to TJ's instead.  There is a lot of subpar, overpriced stuff at WF.  I once bought an apple pie there for $15 () and it was definitely not worth the cash.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Having grown up in So. Pasadena, I can tell you some interesting stories about them and their predecessor.

For those of you in PA, their Mexican food is on the yuppie side.  OK but not like the real stuff.  Their pfeffernusse at Christmas is good, used to be better.  Their fresh pizza dough is great if you want to make your piza quickly.

2 Buck Chuck is not bad for $2 wine.  Lots of good wines and beers.  Produce is usually pretty good.  Their frozen foods, especially the seafood puts just about an y other frozen food to shame.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Ya'll sound like your members of a gay pride parade. Humas, sun-dried tomatos, quiche
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#36]
What the hell does Trader Joe's do?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Used to go to Trader Joe's regularly
Two of my kids were born with Milk Allergies and that's were I could get Soy Milk by the case for cheap and other Milk Free Items

Thankfully they've outgrown their Food Allergies

One thing I liked to get there was the Cashews   Very Reasonable Prices
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Been there.  There's one south of me.  There stuff, is ehhh okay.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Holy shit you are uptight.  There are Trader Joe's everywhere, yes even in your blessed Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#40]
two words:

habanero pistachios

that is all
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The trader joe's we used to go to is posted No CCW.hinking.gif
So if and when we go I comply with our state's CCW laws!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Anyone who lives in Cali but buys Two Buck Chuck should have their head examined. There is so much good, inexpensive wine that rules over 2BC.

My favorite at TJ's is Jameson Irish Whisky. They sell the 1 liter size for the same price that other stores sell the 750mL.

yes but is it 2-3 dollers?

its 3 buck chuck in az.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Joes Bay Blend and volcano coffee kick ass
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The trader joe's we used to go to is posted No CCW.
So if and when we go I comply with our state's CCW laws!

tell that manager to pull his head out of his ass because none of the Tucson stores has that policy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag for later...
mmmmm artichoke hearts....mmmmmmm
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Where?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Joes Bay Blend and volcano coffee kick ass

Give me their Pajaro coffee any day, the one with the two parrots drinking coffee on the label. Best damned coffee around!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit you are uptight.  There are Trader Joe's everywhere, yes even in your blessed Ohio.

One in Dayton as a matter of fact...

Been there a few times. It's pretty hippyish, but only because they really specialize in organic foods... which I try to eat a lot of... oh wait... does refusing to eat preservatives and meat laced with steroids make me a hippy?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One in Dayton as a matter of fact...

Been there a few times. It's pretty hippyish, but only because they really specialize in organic foods... which I try to eat a lot of... oh wait... does refusing to eat preservatives and meat laced with steroids make me a hippy?

J/K
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Do they still sell Buffalo Steak and burgers?  There was one right outside the back gate to the Presidio of Monterey that I used to do most of my shopping at.

Yep, I have 2 boxes in my freezer I bought from the local Trader Joes last week.

The buffalo burgers are great when seasoned up and left to sit a night in the fridge, even better with McClintocks bbq sauce along with it to marinate.

Trader Joes used to carry Kobe Beef patties as well, those were a heart attack waiting to happen.   Haven't seen them in over a year though.

They also have great chocolate milk.

Don't much like the marinated carne asada, seasoning is a tad too heavy in my opinion.   I do like the bol-kogi mongolian beef stuff though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top