Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 9:43:25 PM EDT
I just bought a new gun and was wondering if there is some special way to break in the barrel.  Any help would be greatly thanked.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just bought a new gun and was wondering if there is some special way to break in the barrel.  Any help would be greatly thanked.

What kind of gun?

Barrel break ins are mostly bullshit anyhow IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
BAN him!!!!

reason: wasting posts by posting gun related threads... what do you think this is?  a freaking gun board!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless it's a $1,000 precision barrel in need of lapping, and it's going on a competition gun, don't waste your time.

If it IS a match barrel, do the "accepted" barrel break in, with Kroil & successive shots/cleaning. It won't really improve accuracy, but it will treat the barrel and prevent excessive fouling.

And, no, I don't care what McMillan says, break-in on match guns does indeed keep fouling down. That's why every top benchrester EVER does it to their match guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
All of my guns, I just go out and shoot it, and then clean it, and put it away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless it's a $1,000 precision barrel in need of lapping, and it's going on a competition gun, don't waste your time.

If it IS a match barrel, do the "accepted" barrel break in, with Kroil & successive shots/cleaning. It won't really improve accuracy, but it will treat the barrel and prevent excessive fouling.

And, no, I don't care what McMillan says, break-in on match guns does indeed keep fouling down. That's why every top benchrester EVER does it to their match guns.

87%
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Barrel break-in procedure:

1. Clean and lubricate firearm as per manufacturer's instructions
2. In a safe location and in a safe direction, load and shoot firearm
3. Repeat step #2 until you are done
4. Return to step #1.

That is all.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Just shoot the damn thing already!

J/K - I don't know crap about this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I break in every new MATCH barrel I buy. And yes, I've noticed a huge difference in reduced fouling.

As far as black rifle barrels go...I just load and shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top