Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 1:41:44 PM EDT
I'm currently constructing a biquad antenna (2.4 GHz, not very large) that will be mounted outside. I'd like the antenna to be mounted in an enclosure, but I'm concerned about signal degredation.

I've seen alot of enclosures that house other types of wifi antennas, (dipole, yagi, etc) and they seem to be constructed of ABS plastic. So: Is an ABS enclosure RF transparent? If not, what is?

Thanks ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
While we're at it, would PVC be suitable?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My company makes 1900-2400MHz antenna radomes out of both ABS and fiberglass.

You're safe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
PVC may not be UV-stabilized.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, either ABS or PVC will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
ABS will work just fine.

edit: I'm too slow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You should be fine if the ABS or PVC is filled with non-metallic, non-conductive fillers.  Most plastics are filled with pigments, minerals and other bulk items, some of which might attenuate RF signals.  Now carbon fiber is another story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top