Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
The news media is pushing for a Federal level(a la Calif) denial of buying a gun for psychiatric reasons.

Conflicting Laws Left Room to Buy Gun in Postal Attack in SoCal

Jennifer San Marco used a 9 mm Smith & Wesson she bought in New Mexico to kill six postal workers, a former neighbor and herself in Santa Barbara County. She was banned from buying a firearm in California for five years after she was committed briefly for psychiatric reasons in 2001
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't she a legal resident of New Mexico?
Case closed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The news media is pushing for a Federal level(a la Calif) denial of buying a gun for psychiatric reasons.

Jennifer San Marco used a 9 mm Smith & Wesson she bought in New Mexico to kill six postal workers, a former neighbor and herself in Santa Barbara County. She was banned from buying a firearm in California for five years after she was committed briefly for psychiatric reasons in 2001

I thought there was already something like that, hell IIRC there is a question about it on the 4473.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Case closed.

She was a legal resident, but under current federal law they don't deny you gun for psychiatric reasons.  The news media is whining that the law should be change to be like Calif to deny guns to people for psychiatric reasons.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Case closed.

She was a legal resident, but under current federal law they don't deny you gun for psychiatric reasons.  The news media is whining that the law should be change to be like Calif to deny guns to people for psychiatric reasons.

That will be tough since many states have privacy laws concerning medical information.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought there was already something like that, hell IIRC there is a question about it on the 4473.

11f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Case closed.

Yes they do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Would it make the press feel better if she bought the gun on the street from a drug dealer?    They never learn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Case closed.

Yes they do.

Sorry, worded wrong, but don't you as a individual gun purchaser have to admit it on a 4473 form.  What the news media is calling for is to have this information on the CSI database and deny it on background check, even if the purchaser doesn't admit on the 4473.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

11f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

That would be the one thank you sir.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Case closed.

Yes they do.

Sorry, worded wrong, but don't you as a individual gun purchaser have to admit it on a 4473 form.  What the news media is calling for is to have this information on the CSI database and deny it on background check, even if the purchaser doesn't admit on the 4473.

Probably not going to happen because then you force the states to have to up information tht is considered private medical records, At least thats what I think. Should it be that way, maybe but here is the major question, had that been the case and they denied her, would she have been arrested and prosecuted for for purjury for lying on the 4473? probably not, that means she still could have went out and got a gun by any other number of means including both legal and illegal means(I don't know if NM requires BG checks at gunshows from private sellers) Think about it how many fellons that try to buy a gun and lie on the 4473 are actually prosecuted? Not many compared to how often it actually happens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Probably not going to happen because then you force the states to have to up information tht is considered private medical records, At least thats what I think. Should it be that way, maybe but here is the major question, had that been the case and they denied her, would she have been arrested and prosecuted for for purjury for lying on the 4473? probably not, that means she still could have went out and got a gun by any other number of means including both legal and illegal means(I don't know if NM requires BG checks at gunshows from private sellers) Think about it how many fellons that try to buy a gun and lie on the 4473 are actually prosecuted? Not many compared to how often it actually happens.

There was a big debate in Calif about carrying this info on the databases, but the anti-gunner pretty rammed it down the throats of the medical professionals, and mandated that this info be kept on file.  This will show to everyone that the anti-gunners will stop at nothing, and even violating your privacy to ban guns.  What the anti-gunners want is national database with data on people who are mentally unable to purchase firearm.  This is will be the next big push for the anti-gunners, whether during GWB Jr's term or the next president, unless something else bigger comes along.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I imagine that gets covered during the background check same as if they lied about any other information on the 4473.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I've  seen claims that the mental heatlh info or lack thereof is the biggest hole in NICS
crimanil records are pretty straight forward mental health is not  many many grey areas there
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Getting a little off the subject , here in illinois we have what is called a I.F.O.I.D. card - it is a photo ID card that in order to even purchase 22l.r. ammo you must have , it was sold to the public as a way for the state police too screen out any "crazzys" from buying guns , does anyone know if CA. has a simillar F.O.I.D card? ,   IMO , this was the liberals way of "registering" the gun owner & not the gun ,  but now they are trying to pass here a assualt weapons ban - just like in CA. -- I wonder if they are gonna use the F.O.I.D card to ID all those with assualtweapons ??  --  do any of you have similar gun ID cards in your states to weed out crazzys ??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Getting a little off the subject , here in illinois we have what is called a I.F.O.I.D. card - it is a photo ID card that in order to even purchase 22l.r. ammo you must have , it was sold to the public as a way for the state police too screen out any "crazzys" from buying guns , does anyone know if CA. has a simillar F.O.I.D card? ,   IMO , this was the liberals way of "registering" the gun owner & not the gun ,  but now they are trying to pass here a assualt weapons ban - just like in CA. -- I wonder if they are gonna use the F.O.I.D card to ID all those with assualtweapons ??  --  do any of you have similar gun ID cards in your states to weed out crazzys ??

NE kinda sorta has one to purchase a handgun but its for handguns only and does not need to be renewed , it is for purchase only
It also bypasses NICS at the store  for purchases
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As far as I know, Calif has no restrictions on ammo for the moment.  This could change, if Ahnold loses the next election for the governor.  He vetoed a couple ammo related bills last year.  The Dems have promise to revisit those bills at a future date.  FYI-the Dems have solid control of both branches of the Calif goverment, legislature and excutive, the lone holdout is Ahnold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top