Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 10:09:24 AM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060208/ap_on_fe_st/busted_by_blogs_2

Wed Feb 8, 7:52 AM ET

Fifteen to 20 students at East Grand Rapids High School face possible disciplinary action by the school after parents reported seeing Internet photos of them drinking alcohol at parties.

Principal Patrick Cwayna said the school has started giving the students two-week suspensions from sports, a Valentine's Day dance and other extracurricular activities.

Cwayna said some parents already have appealed the suspensions, which do not affect attendance or academics, to James Morse, superintendent of East Grand Rapids Public Schools.

"This is an issue that every high school in the country deals with," Morse told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Tuesday. "Kids will be kids, and they make mistakes. But they have to be held accountable."

None of the parties in question happened on school grounds, but students involved in extracurricular activities can be disciplined when administrators learn of rule violations, the superintendent said.

"We often get reports from the Public Safety Department if there is a party and our kids are involved," he said. "We bring them down to the office and, in many cases, they 'fess up."

In this case, however, the students were caught after parents reported discovering the photos posted to online journals known as Web logs, or "blogs," and personal Web sites such as Xanga, Myspace and Facebook.

The sites are becoming so popular among middle school and high school students that nearby Rockford Public Schools has started offering parents presentations about them.

Bob Goethal, the district's security director, said blog entries often reveal names, addresses, cell phone numbers and other information that can make students vulnerable to online predators.

"We have to try to educate our parents on what their kids are putting out there," he said. "Predators are a concern because people would know so much about them."

Goethal said security officers monitor known sites of local bloggers. The school takes limited action, usually calling parents if they spot stories about parties or other items of concern.

Rockford administrators said they, too, cannot punish students for bad behavior away from school unless they are involved in extracurricular activities.

Myspace - the place for school kids, and the adults who act like them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
All access to myspace from computers under my control is banned.

Most adults are babes in the woods on the 'Net.  Teenagers are FAR more naive and vulnerable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I love it when someone calls something the devil.  I think it is funny as hell.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
That's why you drink bourbon and coke.  In a picture, you can't tell its illegal.  Sheesh.  Kids are stupid these days.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's why you drink bourbon and coke.  In a picture, you can't tell its illegal.  Sheesh.  Kids are stupid these days.

LMAO that's hilarious, and even though I'm only 19, I agree that kid's are stupid these days.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I love it when someone calls something the devil.  I think it is funny as hell.

Benjamin Franklin is the devil!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to check out this myspace place.  It sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
So lemme get this straight.  

Kids are being punished by the school for some pictures on the net, that were taken when they weren't at school, that LOOK like the kids were drinking alcohol.  

WTF??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
these kids are stupid but really what kids didn't drink in high school?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Kids are being punished by the school for some pictures on the net, that were taken when they weren't at school, that LOOK like the kids were drinking alcohol.  

WTF??

They're being punished only if they're in extracurricular activities. IIRC violation of school policies like drinking anywhere have always resulted in suspending or removing the ability to participate in those activities.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WTF??

If the pictures show them clearly with a bottle of alcohol (ie a beer/ liquor bottle, not just a cup), and the school has an no alcohol policy for atheletes etc, then it seems ok by me. Its not like its a real suspension, it's ONLY for extra curricular activities. They did something against the rules, now they are suffering the consequences, tough shit.
Besides, how fucking stupid do you have to be to post evidence of you doing something illegal on the internet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
these kids are stupid but really what kids didn't drink in high school?

I didn't drink in highschool, and I don't really drink in college.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
apparently police have been using people's facebook accounts to gather information/evidence.

companies also check new/potential hires on facebook.  there was a situation recently where a recently hired employee/intern was fired because she had somethign "objectionable" on her facebook account and would not change it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
if I was one of the students, I would have asked them for proof that I had alcohol in my system. holding a beer bottle may make you look look guilty as sin, and odds are you were consuming the alcohol. How do they know for certain though?
I’m sure the athletes are not the alcoholics, considering they are in ATHLETIC sports.
I bet it was not even the athletes who posted the pictures, probably was one if their dimwitted buddies or some random schmuck at the party...
being 22, for me a good part of the fun of underage drinking was the risk. I drink very rarely now, however when I was in high school and underage in college, I did enjoy “rebelling” from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I’m sure the athletes are not the alcoholics, considering they are in ATHLETIC sports.

disagree with you on that point.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Hints to kids:
1. Ginger ale and "normal" beer look close enough in the photos; put the keg in the bath tub, distribute enough glasses and have lots of empty ginger ale 3Ls around
2. Anything mixed with coke still looks like coke
3. Vodka looks like water (but nobody drinks shot glasses of water)
4. Jello shooters are just suspicious, make jello jigglers instead
5. Wine and grape juice are close enough
6. Dont be stupid

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I work at a college and I was perusing some of my students' myspace entries.  one contained very depressive ramblings so i copied and pasted them to the university counselor for her to evaluate and contact the student if the counselor thought she was in danger.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top