Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:18:35 PM EDT
Trading in my Gateway and picked up a HP notebook. Check out the specs and tell me if its ok.
Best Buy HP
Ive never owned HP and when I worked on the in HS they were crap. This one is pretty sweet and comes with alot of goodies but put me quite a bit over budget.

It is dark candy apple red though
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is three years old and still works.  There are a few gremlins in the display and power management systems, but nothing really annoying.

It seems a little fragile construction-wise, but it's held up so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mine is three years old and still works.  There are a few gremlins in the display and power management systems, but nothing really annoying.

It seems a little fragile construction-wise, but it's held up so far.

3 years is pretty damn good. Ive had my gateway for about 2 3/4 and the only quirk is the power cord. I just wanted something smaller and more portable w/ good battery life. Something I did not consider when I got the Gateway.

I also added the 3year warranty since I worry so much. I didnt spring for the accidental coverage since I havent had a problem "accidentally" w/ the gateway in 3 years. I do worry about the screen and other mechanical stuff so it seamed right. W my employee discount its not bad in price either............
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to add that the keyboard acts kind of funky, but that is because a dumb bimbo dropped a bunch of crumbs into it.  Not because it is an HP.  If you can keep the bimbos away from it, it'll work better.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned my Compaq for about five months. It works well but does have some marks around the keyboard just from carrying around and also creeks a little.

I found that the best deal was direct custom order from HP (hpshopping.com). Most of the office depot/best buy/staples deals were gone and out of stock by the time I got there. Plus, I was able to get a system exactly to my specs rather than getting extra stuff I didn't need. For example, I ordered the laptop with XP pro instead of home, and I only got 256MB of RAM (upgraded to 1GB at newegg for much less).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
anybody else? How about the specs for the money?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I costom ordered mine.  I got a pv 8000 with all the bells and whistles.  I have had only one problem with it.  Because mine is "tricked out" it tends to run warm.  Well to make a long story short, the fans got covered and toasted the processer.  I had it shipped and returned within a week.  I would have to say that there customer serves was decent.  I would get another one without hesitation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I costom ordered mine.  I got a pv 8000 with all the bells and whistles.  I have had only one problem with it.  Because mine is "tricked out" it tends to run warm.  Well to make a long story short, the fans got covered and toasted the processer.  I had it shipped and returned within a week.  I would have to say that there customer serves was decent.  I would get another one without hesitation.

Thats good to hear. Was that a factory warranty or extended warranty? I didnt try to get it with all the jazz but this one was kinda all the features I wanted and then some so I got it.

I talked to a gateway rep once that told me it was really hard on them to sit on your lap while using. He said the vents are then blocked which can lead to overheating and eventually fry things. Makes sense but seems kinda stupid considering its a "laptop"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought an HP/Compaq Presario 5-6 months ago for ~$450 after rebate and it has worked splendidly.  Plays GTA:  Vice City & does my spreadhseets just fine. (with only 256m ram!)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats good to hear. Was that a factory warranty or extended warranty? I didnt try to get it with all the jazz but this one was kinda all the features I wanted and then some so I got it.

I talked to a gateway rep once that told me it was really hard on them to sit on your lap while using. He said the vents are then blocked which can lead to overheating and eventually fry things. Makes sense but seems kinda stupid considering its a "laptop"

It was the factory warranty.  If I did it over I would order it over the internet.  I had only gone thought the Gateway rep only because I did not know anything about laptops at the time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I think HPs are decent... Dell in my experience has been crap.

Thinkpads are good to go, very stable. Yes, they are made by a Chinese company now but IBM, in turn, owns about 30 or 40 percent of it. Plus the computers are made in the same factories so the quality should still be good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Needs another 512M stick of memory.  You really need a gig to run XP right on a laptop since they use shared video RAM.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs another 512M stick of memory.  You really need a gig to run XP right on a laptop since they use shared video RAM.

Gotta watch out though. Usually the laptop will only have two ports and they will be filled with two 256MB DIMMS. Will likely have to ditch one of them in order to upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta watch out though. Usually the laptop will only have two ports and they will be filled with two 256MB DIMMS. Will likely have to ditch one of them in order to upgrade.

Hmm im not sure. In all honestly I use this thing for basic functions and maybe some movie watching in a pinch.

Kinda on a cool not it also has a remote that hides inside it. Can be used to play music of dvds.
Also is a HD widescreen which will be cool for movies
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]

My g/f was looking into getting a laptop.  She was thinking Dell, but many people I know have had problems with Dells.  Wound up suggesting she take a look at ABS.  Their laptops are actually geared more towards gamers but the specs are excellent for the price and they've received excellent reviews.  

She wound up ordering the G3 Mayhem and she should receive it by next week.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm on my 2nd HP. My 1st one is still in use and going strong after 4 yrs except for some power cord/plug issues. I think they're very good laptops.
I don't like Best Buy much though.
I got  my new one from Office Depot, they have some very good prices.
Might I also suggest http://www.anuslaptops.com
snicker
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True enough. Grab a copy of the Belarc Advisor and you'll know what's in your machine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm on my 2nd HP. My 1st one is still in use and going strong after 4 yrs except for some power cord/plug issues. I think they're very good laptops.
I don't like Best Buy much though.
I got  my new one from Office Depot, they have some very good prices.
Might I also suggest http://www.anuslaptops.com
snicker

Thats what I like to hear. I work there unfortunately so I got a 30% discount on the service plan. The one I got is also a limited edition and only available at Best buy
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#18]
mine has been a trooper for about 3 yrs, and still going strong.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Good stuff I will definately consider keeping it now. As for price though they are all about the same w/ the same specs.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought an HP nc6220 almost a year ago and I love it.  It's been reliable and performs very well.   I take it to work daily, so it gets hauled around a lot and has held up great so far.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]
After buying the BB special edition one that was to expensive I went to a Dell XPS. Read reviews after ordering and called and canceled that order and Finally settled on a HP LP2000 Lance Armstrong special edition. Good specs and w/ the 2 year warranty it was under $1000. Should get it in a couple of days and will post pics then
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Dell 8000 thats been working since 2000!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out techexcess.net for really good deals on official HP accessories and warranty plans.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Compaq presario going on 5 years and it still runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Check out techexcess.net for really good deals on official HP accessories and warranty plans.

Thanks for the link. Did you guys know that there are alot of free online coupons floating around coupon sites? When I got the dell I got a $35 off coupon and on the hp I got a $10. Not a huge amount but still helps cover tax or shipping. I also got free shipping from hp
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#26]
My HP laptop has been okay, but I did have to triple the RAM in order for it to work right.  Also, the battery would only power it for 55 minutes tops.  Even when brand new.  The rate at which the thing sucks down the juice has been the only real problem that I've not been able to solve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top