Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:00:19 PM EDT
The door bell rang and one of our neighbors was out on the porch. He lives a few houses over and he brought us a smoked chicken he had done himself as a gift I know his grandkids and have lived here most of my life so it wasn't a stranger. Anyway he said he gets bored and likes to cook outdoors so he smoked some chickens for us neighbors, said he doesn't have much else to do since his wife died It was a damned good chicken, had it for supper Now I want to do something in return. Neighbors helping neighbors, kinda gives you a nice feeling in this screwed up world
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds to me like the old guy is reaching out for a little friendship, it might be nice to invite him over for dinner some time, many of these older folks have some great stories to tell.

I'm sure he would appreciate it.  You might be surprised to learn just how incredible some of these guys are, after all they have certainly 'been there and done that' and then some.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like the old guy is lonely
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like the old guy is reaching out for a little friendship, it might be nice to invite him over for dinner some time, many of these older folks have some great stories to tell.

I'm sure he would appreciate it.  You might be surprised to learn just how incredible some of these guys are, after all they have certainly 'been there and done that' and then some.....

+ 1

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Invite him over for food. And if you can cook, take him out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just make sure you run over to help the next time you see him working on his lawn or house.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
LANCEMAN: Tell your neighbor that it was a wonderful chicken, and ask him to teach you to make it.  I bet this man has some real good stories to tell of his youth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, tell him you'll bring the chickens and some cold ones and he can show ya how he does it. Who cares if ya want to know or not, you'll make his day just shooting the shit with him.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
<Akbar>IT'S A TRAP!</Akbar>

Sorry, had to be said.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
sounds like the old guy is lonely

Yup, another vote for repaying the man by inviting him over for a home cooked meal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
what do you do on Wednesday nights? ....nothing right.  How bout setting up a Wednesday night cigar night. Basically turns into a cool bullshit session and gives the old timer and your buds someting to look forward to. My gradfather does monday morning coffee with his old friends.

Get creative- invent something up, im sure there is something the both f you could get out of it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Good suggestions all around, thanks guys. It must be lonely to be alone after 50 years or so of marriage. I'll stop to say hey and chat awhile from now on when I see him outside. I need to find out exactly how he cooked those chickens anyway
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like he needs a friend.
Cook him dinner, maybe include him in some activities. I like the Cigar Night idea.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
We have cookouts every so often at my house as well, I'll extend an invitation from now on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ever think of a trip to the range? He may be into it..............
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LANCEMAN: Tell your neighbor that it was a wonderful chicken, and ask him to teach you to make it.  I bet this man has some real good stories to tell of his youth.

+1

Very good idea. I bet he would love to teach others how to do this and it's a way for him to have some company.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with inviting him over for dinner and hanging out with him - he might end up naming you as heir for his firearms.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, heck yeah.  Invite  him over for dinner, shovel his walk and driveway when it snows, mow the lawn when it doesn't snow...

If you have good neighbors, it's easy to be a good neighbor.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like an awesome, and lonely, guy. I'd follow the advice already posted.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, heck yeah.  Invite  him over for dinner, shovel his walk and driveway when it snows, mow the lawn when it doesn't snow...

Jim

Unfortunatly we dont know anyone in my neighborhood right now.  I barely ever even see the neighbors.  I dont even know if anyone is living next door to me or not.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
<Akbar>IT'S A TRAP!</Akbar>

Sorry, had to be said.

seriously, how many poisoning stories started like that?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Jim

I guess you didn't notice the Florida part.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I think you should forget dinner and lawns.  Instead be his friend.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
i guy i know lives in the same neiborhood that nick Cage just moved into, cage sent everyone a smoked samon and a card for newyears...

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a widow next door to me.  She comes over every day and lets my dog out in the back yard.  I joke with my wife sometimes, because she will call me at the drop of a hat (You are having firewood delivered...  Why didn't you tell me?  I didn't know where to tell them to put it.  If you had told me, then..............)
On the other hand, I don't think anyone is going to load up a moving van while I'm at work!  It's good to know neighbors.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#25]
you should bake him a fresh apple pie or some cookies
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Get him a hooker.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
you should bake him a fresh apple pie or some cookies

Except for the time they tried to recreate that scene from American Pie, I'm thinking there aren't many arfcomers baking apple pies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Shovel his walk for him.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The door bell rang and one of our neighbors was out on the porch. He lives a few houses over and he brought us a smoked chicken he had done himself as a gift I know his grandkids and have lived here most of my life so it wasn't a stranger. Anyway he said he gets bored and likes to cook outdoors so he smoked some chickens for us neighbors, said he doesn't have much else to do since his wife died It was a damned good chicken, had it for supper Now I want to do something in return. Neighbors helping neighbors, kinda gives you a nice feeling in this screwed up world

Maybe the old man is looking for a happy ending
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think you should forget dinner and lawns.  Instead be his friend.

Yep...just be a friend.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#31]

LANCEMAN
Team Member

Post Number :: 2318

FL, USA

Shovel his walk for him.

Burley, yer a heck of a guy, huh?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

LANCEMAN
Team Member

Post Number :: 2318

FL, USA

Shovel his walk for him.

Burley, yer a heck of a guy, huh?

His walk may be covered with hurricane debris or something.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Very good idea. I bet he would love to teach others how to do this and it's a way for him to have some company.

Yep, it good to get to know your nieghbors, and not just the elderly ones.  A Asian family moved in 2 doors over from me, they are a quite as can be, but I hardly know them.  And last year, their house got burglarized, and I didn't even know it.  Those elderly and retired people are at home in day time when you're at work, and they can keep an eye on your place for you.  They know when they see something a miss, of course when they need help you should be right there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#35]
my neighbros are asses.   Count your blessings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#36]
another vote for inviting him over for dinner!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/noklue3/thatwasntchicken.jpg

If all the neighbors are still alive he can't be too bad of a guy
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Paying it forward...with FOOD!!!!
So very COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ever think of a trip to the range? He may be into it..............

... and put you in his will for his guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Invite him over for dinner and talk him into having a bring a dish neighborhood bbq.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Be thankful you have a neighbor like that.  All good ideas for repaying his generosity.  Sometimes these older folks don't drive much or have even had their cars pulled by their kids.  Offer him a ride to the grocery, or even the gunstore or gun range some lazy Saturday.  He might be able to pull out a mint M-1 Garand NM.  Offer to run errands or take him along.  He would like to get out some.
Invite him over and get him to talking, especially if he is a vet.  They can tell tales that will curl your hair over a six pack.  Most of all enjoy him.  You have a real jewel.  My regret is I didn't spend more time with my grandparents, great aunts and uncles and get them to open up about their lives.  I was too busy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Yup
Enjoy his stories while he is above ground.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I think he could use some PIE!!!
(Pecan Pie, that is.)

You might want to just visit with him once or twice over the next few days. Maybe bring over a 12-pack of ice cold beer too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top