Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:31:09 PM EDT
My trial version of Pcilliin is about to expire. I was considering the following:

http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/webApp/90042.asp?trk=DTK&bid=29&aid=CD567&opt=Goog-antivirus//

PC Security shield seems easier to use than Norton or Mc Affee. It is only $30. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Less money on software = more money for ammo.

thanks

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
AVG for anti-viri.. Love it....

Been using "Filseclab Personal Firewall" for my FW cause I got sick of Aone Alarm. I like it so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro on an old Dell 500 MHz PC III. I'm online via a Motorola cable modem. Here's what I've got for security:

Between the modem and my computer is a Netgear FR114P Router. For security software, I've got Symantec AntiVirus 10 software, along with Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Doctor, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE.

Go to Gibson Research, find the link to Shields Up and have them check your firewall. With my Netgear router/firewall I'm running full stealth.

GL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys:

Of the "free" firewalls, what has the smallest memory footprint and best performance.

Zonealarm is a fucking PIG on my laptop in terms of the resources it sucks down.

'Course on a laptop, kind of have to have a software FW because of going wireless when traveling.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The Gibson research link is pretty cool.  THANKS
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have a broadband connection to the internet you really need a hardware firewall. You can find the NAT type routers for $35 to $50...very cheap money in the long run.

As for anit-virus, I've been using Avast. Not only will it do realtime file protection, but it will also scan web traffic, IM traffic, email traffic. It's very robust and I havn't seen any performance degradation. My understanding is that Avast is free for personal use.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#9]
antivirus
nod32
panda
commandondemand.com

antitrojan

ewido
a squared

+1  on nat hardware firewall.    

the key of it all is safe surfing, don't open attachments if your not expecting them, install windows updates.   and don't be a dick to your computer repair guy  

spyware removal, antivirus, antitrojan will never catch everyvirus, or malware program out there.  

it is your responsibility to practice safe surfing.    computers don't infect themselves.    It is always the end user.    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/ne9j03.gif

I already have, thank you  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Port Forward 113 to the wild blue yonder for stealth status on Port 113 (Air Force song now comes to mind....)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you have a broadband connection to the internet you really need a hardware firewall. You can find the NAT type routers for $35 to $50...very cheap money in the long run.

You can get router with hardware fire wall(NAT-type) at your local CompUSA for about $40, with a $30 rebate.  Effective cost around $15.

I've got a SMC 4-port router which is pretty highly regarded.  You need to connect the output of modem to the input of the router. And connect the computer to the outputs of the router. And that's it.  For all practical purpose your computer(s) are invisible to everyone else on the internet, ie stealth mode.

I like the hardware firewall because you use zoro CPU resorces on your machine, plus you can hook up mulitple machines.  I have cable broadband at my house, and my daughter and son have their own computer and can connect to the internet without interferrring with my surfing.

NOte: if you're going to connect to the interent to play games via Xbox or PS2, you will need a router that is compatible so be sure to double-check if you plan to do so.

Also if you download using a bit torrent utility, you may have to do some tweaking router of the ports, maybe, but most of those software has been updated to get around problems of hardware firewalls.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get router with hardware fire wall(NAT-type) at your local CompUSA for about $40, with a $30 rebate.  Effective cost around $15.

I've got a SMC 4-port router which is pretty highly regarded.  You need to connect the output of modem to the input of the router. And connect the computer to the outputs of the router. And that's it.  For all practical purpose your computer(s) are invisible to everyone else on the internet, ie stealth mode.

I like the hardware firewall because you use zoro CPU resorces on your machine, plus you can hook up mulitple machines.  I have cable broadband at my house, and my daughter and son have their own computer and can connect to the internet without interferrring with my surfing.

NOte: if you're going to connect to the interent to play games via Xbox or PS2, you will need a router that is compatible so be sure to double-check if you plan to do so.

Also if you download using a bit torrent utility, you may have to do some tweaking router of the ports, maybe, but most of those software has been updated to get around problems of hardware firewalls.

Be aware that cable broadband folks are now watching various ports for heightened activity as from peer to peer networks and, eventually, will filter and lock those packets.   The solution will often be to change ports each week, but that requires reconfiguration of both the router with NAT forwarding and the software itself.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My Linksys router, a WRT54G,  has UPnP which Azureus can use to automatically open the necessary ports. No manual configuration necessary.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ever ran peer to peer stuff, I'd never run it on my main computer. Just too risky. I'd run it out of a VMWare or virtual PC window. No need to tempt the devil.

I've never had a problem with Zonealarm. Runs great and no issues (other than it's security software produced and owned by Israel's Checkpoint Systems).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Good info her. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have used zonelabs in the past. I may switch back
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I also had problems with ZoneAlarm. I bought Kerio firewall. Its one of the best.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a hardware firewall and zonealarm.  I tried the gibson sheilds up scan with and without zonealarm turned on.  I got the same results both ways.  I guess I dont need zonealarm slowing me down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone recommend upgrading to a new hardware NAT firewall-enabled router every few years? Mine is circa 2003. It works fine for me though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Does anyone recommend upgrading to a new hardware NAT firewall-enabled router every few years? Mine is circa 2003. It works fine for me though.

wouldn't hurt.    routers are not that expensive.   make sure when you buy it,  check the manufactors webpage for firmware updates, to make sure ITS up to date
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I recommend:

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I recommend:

images.apple.com/macosx/images/indextop20060109.jpg

I can't play bf2 on a mac though.  all my friends have pc's  how are we suppost to exchange files,  why are macs so much more expenive.    the money you spend on a mac, i can build a pc.   that will run circles around ANY mac.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recommend:

images.apple.com/macosx/images/indextop20060109.jpg

I can't play bf2 on a mac though. The new intels will be able to dual boot windows vista (if it is ever released.  all my friends have pc's  how are we suppost to exchange files macs network and handle almost all common "PC" files just fine,  why are macs so much more expenive They are not that much more expensive, and the main reason they cost more is that they are not pieces of shit like many "PC's".  If you look at total cost of ownership Macs often are shown to be cheaper.    the money you spend on a mac, i can build a pc.   that will run circles around ANY mac.    That is the subject of much debate. For playing games you are probably right.

And I ain't saying that all PCs are pieces of shit.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I buy high end hardware to play games on my PC. For reading email and surfing the web, and doing other office stuff, a $300 PC will suffice and be overkill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top