Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:29:47 PM EDT
No shit.  One only has to look around any mall to see 14 and 15 year old girls that look like they're ready to headline at the local titty bar.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4688450.stm

Stress 'fuelling early puberty'

Unhealthy lifestyles and unstable family environments may be contributing to a fall in the age that girls reach puberty, research suggests.

Psychologist Dr Aric Sigman found girls are reaching puberty 18 months earlier than their mothers, and almost two years earlier than their grandmothers.

He found girls currently start puberty at an average of 10.25 years of age.

His findings echo previous research suggesting 'precocious puberty' is a growing trend.

A study by scientists in Bristol in 2000 suggested one girl in six reaches puberty before the age of eight.

One theory is that puberty is triggered by the hormone leptin, which is produced by fat tissue.

Girls are getting progressively heavier with each generation, and as they carry higher levels of fat, they are also likely to have higher levels of leptin.

Unhealthy lifestyle

Dr Sigman's study focused on three generations of family units, each with a daughter aged 16 to 20, a mother aged 40 to 50, and a grandmother aged 65 to 75.

He found the modern generation eats far more sweets and junk food than its predecessors, but less fresh fruit and vegetables.

Today's young women were also much more likely to travel by car than on foot.

They were also much more to lead a 'coach potato' lifestyle, taking little exercise.

The combination of a poor diet, and an sedentary lifestyle was fuelling obesity rates, said Dr Sigman.

Stress factor

However, he also found evidence that a stressful home life raised the likelihood of an early puberty.

Dr Sigman told the BBC News website that this was possibly an ancient evolutionary response.

"If a girl senses her environment is unstable then it may be that an evolutionary mechanism kicks in to try to ensure that her genes are passed on sooner rather than later," he said.

There is some evidence to suggest that puberty arrives earlier in girls who live with a stepfather.

It is postulated that this might be due exposure to the stepfather's chemical scents, or pheromones, which are likely to have a more profound effect than those associated with a birth parent.

Dr Sigman said it had been assumed that puberty was purely a biological phenomenon influenced by genetics.

"We have not really thought about the possibility that lifestyle factors might influence something so primitive and profound as the arrival of puberty, but it might very well be that they have an impact."

He said early puberty was associated with a number of risks.

Tough time

For instance, girls were vulnerable to emotional disturbances, such as depression, and behavioural problems, such as taking up drinking, smoking or drugs.

Young girls who suddenly started to mature sexually were also less able to control their impulses than those who hit puberty at a later stage, he said. This might in part explain why rates of teenage pregnancy have risen in recent times.

"They tend to work on the hedonistic principle that if it's enjoyable, then it must be right," he said.

Dr Sigman, whos reported was commissioned by Clearasil, said it was important for parents to be aware that puberty might arrive early for their daughters, and to try to talk to them in advance about the changes they would experience.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
No shit.  One only has to look around any mall to see 14 and 15 year old girls that look like they're ready to headline at the local titty bar.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4688450.stm

Stress 'fuelling early puberty'

Unhealthy lifestyles and unstable family environments may be contributing to a fall in the age that girls reach puberty, research suggests.

Psychologist Dr Aric Sigman found girls are reaching puberty 18 months earlier than their mothers, and almost two years earlier than their grandmothers.

He found girls currently start puberty at an average of 10.25 years of age.

His findings echo previous research suggesting 'precocious puberty' is a growing trend.

A study by scientists in Bristol in 2000 suggested one girl in six reaches puberty before the age of eight.

One theory is that puberty is triggered by the hormone leptin, which is produced by fat tissue.

Girls are getting progressively heavier with each generation, and as they carry higher levels of fat, they are also likely to have higher levels of leptin.

Unhealthy lifestyle

Dr Sigman's study focused on three generations of family units, each with a daughter aged 16 to 20, a mother aged 40 to 50, and a grandmother aged 65 to 75.

He found the modern generation eats far more sweets and junk food than its predecessors, but less fresh fruit and vegetables.

Today's young women were also much more likely to travel by car than on foot.

They were also much more to lead a 'coach potato' lifestyle, taking little exercise.

The combination of a poor diet, and an sedentary lifestyle was fuelling obesity rates, said Dr Sigman.

Stress factor

However, he also found evidence that a stressful home life raised the likelihood of an early puberty.

Dr Sigman told the BBC News website that this was possibly an ancient evolutionary response.

"If a girl senses her environment is unstable then it may be that an evolutionary mechanism kicks in to try to ensure that her genes are passed on sooner rather than later," he said.

There is some evidence to suggest that puberty arrives earlier in girls who live with a stepfather.

It is postulated that this might be due exposure to the stepfather's chemical scents, or pheromones, which are likely to have a more profound effect than those associated with a birth parent.

Dr Sigman said it had been assumed that puberty was purely a biological phenomenon influenced by genetics.

"We have not really thought about the possibility that lifestyle factors might influence something so primitive and profound as the arrival of puberty, but it might very well be that they have an impact."

He said early puberty was associated with a number of risks.

Tough time

For instance, girls were vulnerable to emotional disturbances, such as depression, and behavioural problems, such as taking up drinking, smoking or drugs.

Young girls who suddenly started to mature sexually were also less able to control their impulses than those who hit puberty at a later stage, he said. This might in part explain why rates of teenage pregnancy have risen in recent times.

"They tend to work on the hedonistic principle that if it's enjoyable, then it must be right," he said.

Dr Sigman, whos reported was commissioned by Clearasil, said it was important for parents to be aware that puberty might arrive early for their daughters, and to try to talk to them in advance about the changes they would experience.

Damn that stress.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Like their needs for acne treatments? :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I read about that 10 years ago.

The short of it was: If your in an unstable environment, better breed now while you can.

Edit: Just as your article said.

Also, about the food.  Don't they jack up milk and beef cows with drugs n shit, and thus we eat all that crap.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The one I hear is the chemicals in meat and dairy products may be causing the early puberty stuff
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
People are starting to realize that it's not only about genetics, but also genetic environment.  Which has been common wisdom for hundreds of years, of course.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The one I hear is the chemicals in meat and dairy products may be causing the early puberty stuff

About a year ago there was a Discovery Channel special on this issue.  They examined all the usual factors that were thought to start puberty early like genetics, hormones in food, artificial light, etc.  What they found is none of those make a difference, and it's almost 100% dependent on weight - when little Sally hits 110 lbs. she gets her first period everytime.

This BBC study is tiptoeing around the issue talking about leptin, but when you cut through all the bullshit it boils down to the fact that girls are starting puberty sooner because they're fatter, and that means hitting the "magic puberty target weight" at a lower age.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What's even worse is that so many parents do nothing to prepare their kids for what's coming. I've known some, and have heard others talking, who have girls up to 11 or 12 years old that know nothing about menstrual cycles or anything relating to puberty. Their biggest concern in life seems to be what santa will bring them this year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was all the beef, milk, and hormones in them.

Either way I dont think its too big of a problem, people just need to learn to parent right.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]

I thought it was all the beef, milk, and hormones in them.

My wife's doctor made the claim that it was all the testosterone that the cows were given.  I asked him that if testosterone could survive the stomach, the liver, and be absorbed, then why did I just see a nurse give a guy a testosterone shot and why did he prescribed a patch that delivered it through the skin with DMSO to a friend of mine?  The guys you hear about on steroids wouldn't be doing injections.  They'd take their hormones orally which would be much easier and safer than doing injections.  He was still ok with the contradiction in his mind that testosterone had to be injected to work, but it didn't have to be if a farmer gave it to a cow then it was consumed.  I think he missed the critical thinking class in med school.z
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with zoom...I've heard all the theories about the hormones in food, but I know of no real scientific study that has shown a link...or even a hint of a relationship.  This stikes me as one of those urban legands cooked up by the dirt muching drud type "I'll only eat organic food" type wackos.  Sounds convincing, but no real science to back it up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top