Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 9:22:19 PM EDT
seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_Airbus_Cold_Weather_Test.html

Airbus tests A380 in extreme cold of Canada's Nunavut province

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

IQALUIT, Nunavut -- Frozen smiles have returned to the faces of engineers putting the world's largest passenger airplane through its cold-weather paces after typical Arctic weather returned to Baffin Island and ended concerns about a warm spell.

Warm, however, is relative.

"Earlier this week, temperatures were very unseasonably mild - down around the -15C (5F) mark," said John Graham, manager of the Iqaluit Airport, said Tuesday. Technicians are cold-weather testing the 555-passenger Airbus A380 this week at the small airport in the Nunavut capital.

"It all worked out. We got down to about -29C (-20F) when the airplane landed at Iqaluit airport" on Monday, Graham said.

About 55 Airbus engineers are now working on the giant jet, which has a takeoff weight of more than 600 tons and a wingspan of 262 feet. Its eight-story-high tail fin is now one of the tallest structures in Iqaluit.

The town, on the tundra just south of the Arctic Circle, won the bid for testing the jet last summer at the Paris air show.

advertising
In addition to an abundance of cold weather, the northern capital also boasts uncluttered airspace and vast expanses of runway. In the 1950s and '60s, the U.S. air force built facilities capable of handling its giant Cold-War-era bombers. The Canadian air force continues to maintain an airstrip capable of landing CF-18s.

Airbus has tested planes in Iqaluit before, as have other aerospace giants such as Raytheon, Boeing Co. and Eurocopter.

Nunavut hopes to build on those successes as part of its economic development strategy, said Economic Development Minister Olayuk Akesuk. He said his department won't have an estimate of the economic impact of such testing until after the Airbus work is over.

Cold-weather testing is a significant part of Canada's $21.7-billion (US$18.9 billion) aerospace industry, said Ron Kane of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada.

Although the association didn't break out cold-weather testing in its most recent revenue figures, it is part of the $3.7 billion (US$3.2 billion) companies spent in 2004 on industry-related products and services.

Most of Canada's current cold-weather aerospace testing is done in Montreal - home of Bombardier Inc. - Winnipeg and North Bay, Ont., another former NORAD site with lots of runway and open sky.

But more specialized aerospace services players can only help, said Kane.

The Airbus A380 - with a list price of $325 million (US$283 milion) - began test flights in April. There have been at least 159 orders already for the super jumbos capable of flying nearly 8,700 miles. Singapore Airlines is to take the first deliveries late this year.

Meanwhile, life goes on as normal at the Iqaluit airport, Graham said.

"The only thing that's different is that on the north ramp we've got the world's most famous plane."
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw this on Boeing News this morning.  Anybody know where this place is?

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, thanks, I found it on Google Earth this morning, helped to have the "Military" option on.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not cold enough at 40,000 feet?  They have to test it on the ground?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's not cold enough at 40,000 feet?  They have to test it on the ground?

Well, its safer to find it out it breaks when its on the ground, not at 40,000....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the new territory was a territory not a province...fuck, which is it?

ETA: Nunavut, that is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It used to be part of the Northwest Terroritories. They split up the NWT made Nunavut a Province.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It used to be part of the Northwest Terroritories. They split up the NWT made Nunavut a Province.

I know they split it up, I still lived in Canada back when they did.  I had just been under the impression it became another territoryfor some reason, rather than a province.

ETA: It is a fucking teritory, not a province.  I was right.

link
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Worlds most famous plane? Bullshit. I hope that piece of french crap freezes to the tundra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top