User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 8:50:06 PM EDT
Thanks

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Michigan does.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maine allows 18-year-olds to purchase handguns in FTF transactions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure that it is none from dealers. Federal law prevents anyone under 21 from purchasing a handgun from an FFL dealer. Some states (such as Texas) have laws that allow anyone 18 or older to purchase a handgun in a "private sale".
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
None from dealers.
I'd wager that plenty allow them in FTF transfers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I see it as old enought to vote and die for your country. Old enough to buy a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maine allows 18-year-olds to purchase handguns in FTF transactions.

AZ does as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
any news on IL?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that it is none from dealers. Federal law prevents anyone under 21 from purchasing a handgun from an FFL dealer. Some states (such as Texas) have laws that allow anyone 18 or older to purchase a handgun in a "private sale".

Should have been more clear- private sales and not counting antiques
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Michigan does.

Thats interesting...  

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver--
       (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee
   knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years
   of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun
   or rifle
, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual
   who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less
   than twenty-one years of age;

I always thought that you had to be 21 to purchase in ANY state if it were a handgun.  18 for long gun.  Now in Indiana you must be 21 to purchase a handgun or ammunition for handguns, but you can get a handgun permit to carry at 18.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Connecticut actually allows an 18 year old to purchase a handgun, but not to acquire a CCW or a carry permit of any kind. So its legal to purchase a handgun, but illegal to pick it up or walk out of the store with it. Makes sense, right?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Connecticut actually allows an 18 year old to purchase a handgun, but not to acquire a CCW or a carry permit of any kind. So its legal to purchase a handgun, but illegal to pick it up or walk out of the store with it. Makes sense, right?

Shure
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
So far.......

CT
AZ
ME
MI
TX
IL
NV

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
you have to be 21 in Tx to buy pistol ammo, 18 for rifle and shotgun
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nevada allows 18 for rifles and 21 for pistols from an FFL

private party, it's 18 for both
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Even Illinois allows it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn't suppose Ca would allow a PP transfer of a handgun... not that it matters turning 21 in 4 months!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
any news on IL?

FTF sales.

Beat by 20 minutes. That's what I get for not reading the thread 100% before posting

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Montana. 18 for a CCW as well :D
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I always thought that you had to be 21 to purchase in ANY state if it were a handgun.  18 for long gun.  Now in Indiana you must be 21 to purchase a handgun or ammunition for handguns, but you can get a handgun permit to carry at 18.

I do believe you are wrong.

IC 35-47-2-3
(f) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
       (1) has been convicted of a felony;
       (2) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
       (3) is under twenty-three (23) years of age if the person has been adjudicated a
       delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or

IC 35-47-2-7
   Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

IC 35-47-10
    Chapter 10. Children and Handguns
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any news on IL?

FTF sales.

Beat by 20 minutes. That's what I get for not reading the thread 100% before posting

WIZZO

Anyone in IL want to sell me a handgun in that case?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
In California if you are over 18 but not 21, your mother/father/grandmother/grandfather can purchase the gun and transfer it to you without an FFL using an "Operation of law" form.  Of course, you have to be 21 to buy ammo for it.  

And no it's not a straw purchase so don't even bring that up.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I see it as old enought to vote and die for your country. Old enough to buy a pistol.

Old enough to buy a beer, wait fuck thats not true.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Many states allow FTF sale as they don't have a law saying its illegal to purchase under X age. The law typically defines what a concealable deadly weapon is (knives, pistol, sbr's, etc) and its age of posession. Since the age is typically defined as 18 for posession and they omit to bring purchasing of the weapon into play, the age for purchase is simply defined as 18. However, some people don't understand that laws exist to make an action a crime and not make an action lawful-- so they are skiddish of what they consider a "grey area."

However, Federal law specifically states dealers (FFL) can only sell pistols or pistol caliber ammunition to persons of age 21 or older. FEDERAL LAW PROVIDES NO MINIMUM AGE FOR FACE TO FACE TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND. The definition is worded specifically as guidance for federalyl licensed dealers. However, I do believe there are minimum age for posession in federal law (something like 18 for handguns). This makes finding ammo for a handgun at 18 a real bitch, I know from personal experience. Since the definition of federal law is "pistol caliber," it means even suggesting the ammo is for a marlin camp carbine wouldn't float.

Add NV to your list.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
you have to be 21 in Tx to buy pistol ammo, 18 for rifle and shotgun

I've bought pistol ammo before, and I only recently turned 21.

Then again, I've bought rifle ammo under the age of 18 too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wouldn't suppose Ca would allow a PP transfer of a handgun... not that it matters turning 21 in 4 months!!!!

IIRC FTF sales were banned in CA in '89

I did that too  The only time that they asked for ID was just after I turned 18. Before that I don't think they questioned my age because I usually bought at least $50 in ammo at a time, but I got carded when I was only topping off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Indiana allows carry at the age of 18...gotta be 21 to buy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC FTF sales were banned in CA in '89

I did that too  The only time that they asked for ID was just after I turned 18. Before that I don't think they questioned my age because I usually bought at least $50 in ammo at a time, but I got carded when I was only topping off.

Quite incorrect, sir.  But there is an age limit of 21 years for private party handgun transfers.  Long guns are OK for 18 year olds in CA.

Our laws aren't as bad as the rest of the country likes to make them out to be, so it seems easy for people to just make things up out of thin air and have it believed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Can you CCW in Texas if under 21?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]
YES
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Michigan does.

Thats interesting...  

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver--
       (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee
   knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years
   of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun
   or rifle
, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual
   who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less
   than twenty-one years of age;

Federal law says you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL but most states allow 18 year olds to own handguns that were purchased through face to face transactions.

In other words, it is not illegal for an 18 year old to own a handgun, but rather, it is illegal for an FFL to sell a handgun to an 18 year old.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top