Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 8:48:30 PM EDT
After the Postal shooting in CA last week I have seen a few news articles that have cited that the woman was banned for 5 years from buying firearms in CA because of psychiatric reasons but not NM where she actually purchased the firearm. It raises the question about how far background checks should go. The gungrabbers say it could have been prevented by a more comprehensive and thorough background check process.

Most states do not include or require institutions or medical professionals to report mental commitments or the incidents of individuals due to privacy reasons in regard to firearms purchases.

One day we may be seeing this "common sense" call for firearms buyers to prove that they are not mentally ill. But then what determines what a "mental illness" is. Anybody else see a possibility of actually having to get a medical OK in order to purchase a firearm one day ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
inevitable
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
There is already genetic discrimination in the job world, what's to stop the alphabet patrol from applying it to guns
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
We already have that in NJ.
Form SP-66
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  Medical records should not be accessible to background checks for guns, HOWEVER...

There should be a list (like the terrorist watch list) except this might be the firearms mentally challenged list whereby if you are deemed by a medical professional/board/committee to be a danger to yourself or others by use of ANY weapon, then you should be on that list of people who should not be able to obtain a firearm.  It's sad to say this, but it is a necessary course in ridding the gun society of people who continue to pose a threat to our rights.

By the same token, those same people probably shouldn't be able to drive a car or operate an machinery that could cause harm to themselves or others.  This is not just for guns, but for the overall safety of mankind in a civilized society.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But then what determines what a "mental illness" is.

The desire to possess a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Gattaca
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gattaca

no shit, I see something everyday that makes a cold shiver go down my spine while the word gattaca comes to my mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top