Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2006 5:16:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the smell of tube-type equipment.

Reminds me of my first ham radio station.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice, reminds me of a Crate blue voodoo
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like the smell of tube-type equipment.

Reminds me of my first ham radio station.

I loved the smell of a 100 watt marshall head warming up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs a nixie tube clock to round out the breadboard geekness.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
did you make it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh hell yeah!

Gimme that warm tube sound.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It never went anywhere. This is the hottest thing going in mic preamps these days.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Enigma102083: Is that a guitar or hi-fi amp.

The tubed MacIntoch hi-fi amp are now collectors items, two of those things amps weigh in a 150lbs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome! I love tubes. Makes troubleshooting soooo easy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
EL34 ???

ETA,  definately want to build one in the near future..  Should work quite well paird up with my Klipsch
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Enigma, is yours a guitar amp?
Has a beautiful home-made soup look to it.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothin' says lovin' like some hot 12AX7s and 6L6s

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]
When did they go away?

ETA:  EL84's.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When did they go away?

+1. They have always been alive and well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When did they go away?

There was a huge move toward solid state in the early 90's, especially for the heavy metal/hard rock crowd. The solid state gave a more 'aggressive' distortion but lost the warmth of the tubes.

Solid state for show, tubes for a pro!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It never went anywhere. This is the hottest thing going in mic preamps these days.
www.manleylabs.com/images/VOXBOX1.jpg

EveAnna Manley rocks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

plaza.ufl.edu/strazz/guitar.jpg

Nice KH2. (or is that a 3?)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
secure.tubesandmore.com/scripts/silverware.exe/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=K-502

I's the K-502 kit, 8 w/ch, stereo.

(ed to fix hotlink)

Go to secure.tubesandmore.com/

On the left click Kits, then click Audio.  It will bring you to the K-501 (mono) and K-502.

Here  is one built by a friend's teenager, his first kit:

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Tubes?  You want to see tubes?

Check out the Hughes & Kettner Tri Amp

3 dual channel 100w tube amps in one head.  

Ouch.   Just... ouch.  

(I had the displeasure of checking out my former band, in front of their new guitarist, who had a H&K... It sounded facking great, but MAN my ears hurt!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
<-- Tube junkie.

Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Mesa 400+, bitches.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When did they go away?

Dunno, but I just cracked open the case on my Krell amp, holy shit no tubes in there!

Opened up the computer, just to check, NO TUBES!!!!

Where's my tubes at!?!?!?

Damn, it's a conspiracy!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice! I have a Jolida for my stereo and it's definitely a conversation starter (not to mention that it sounds awfully good too).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I just think everything was built better those days, I actually run an ancient solid state lafayette Lr-1500TA reciever that simply sounds better then the newer units my siblings have.

Its a great reciever, I only lament that its nearing the end of its lifespan (right channel occassionally cuts out) and I have not the skills to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That tube on the left is WAY underbiased and will die QUICKLY.
The third tube is also underbiased but not so bad.  Bad enough, though.
If the plate glows, the tube dies.   NO GLOW ALLOWED ON THE PLATE.
Adjust the bias properly, please.
Tubes never left.  Guitar players never abandoned them.    And they've been popular in the
high fidelity world since Audio Research brought them back in the early 70s.
I own only tube guitar amps (custom made)  and I have a Harmon-Kardon Citation II tube power
amp being restored.   But my stereo rig uses Krell solid state pure class a monoblock amps.
I like both tube and solid state.   I'd miss either if it wasn't available.
CJ

I think the glow is just an artifiact of the pic or lighting, hard to tell.  I have had two HK CII's through here, and I dont see the attraction.  They could both have been ill, but one was recently restored.  Neither one was as good as my VTL.  Just as well, I needed that $900 for other things.  Who's doing the restoration on your CII's?        
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I own only tube guitar amps (custom made)  and I have a Harmon-Kardon Citation II tube power
amp being restored.   But my stereo rig uses Krell solid state pure class a monoblock amps.

CJ

A fellow Krell man, I admire that! Wonderful, overbuilt amps.

Seriously, a good clean circuit is a good clean circuit. Tubes by themselves do not make better sound, anymore than solid state makes bad sound. It's the design & execution of the circuits and amp.

There have been a whole slew of completely SS circuits with a couple tubes sitting along side basically doing nothing, that people bought and SWORE "warmed up" and "purified" their sound.

Don't buy hype, or tubes, or hearsay. Buy quality no matter what the price or nameplate says.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#30]
tubes have a romantic appeal. I want to build a nice one myself. Or buy one of the cool new jap/china ones on ebay, they look neet-not sure about sound quality though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

Seriously, a good clean circuit is a good clean circuit. Tubes by themselves do not make better sound, anymore than solid state makes bad sound. It's the design & execution of the circuits and amp.

There have been a whole slew of completely SS circuits with a couple tubes sitting along side basically doing nothing, that people bought and SWORE "warmed up" and "purified" their sound.

Don't buy hype, or tubes, or hearsay. Buy quality no matter what the price or nameplate says.

In guitar amps it is impossible to get natural overdrive without a tube amp.  If you can exactly Duplicate Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar tone with a solid state amp, you could sell it and become rich.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

In guitar amps it is impossible to get natural overdrive without a tube amp.  If you can exactly Duplicate Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar tone with a solid state amp, you could sell it and become rich.

SS is getting better.  The funny thing is the SS circuit gets very complex to emulate the sound of a simple tube amp.  That's why I built this:  

Single ended "modern high gain type" amp with only 6 watts output so I can get the "cranked" sound at levels that are almost comfortable (when paired with an 93 db speaker).

I'm hoping to have the cabinets finished by the end of the month.

Kent
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Try a 4PR400 or 4PR1000 high power tetrode!  .

We used to use those in the final of a high power 225kW avg. sonar set operating at 5kHz.  Plate voltage was 5.4kV and the screen operated at about 600VDC IIRC.  The FM audio input was coupled across the plate to the transducer elements.  Very powerful...and very dangerous.  We had a total of 96 amplifier circuits in eight water cooled cabinets.  The prime source of DC power for the 5.4kV plate votages were four LARGE DC generator sets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#34]
A small hijack here. I have a Panasonic Oceanic from the fifties. Great radio. But keeps fading out to nothing. I think I need some new tubes. Anybody nknow where to buy them?

Thanks
Dale
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-II Deluxe.  I added the EMGs a few years after I bought it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Never happen.
His tone came from his soul.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Mesa Mark IV here.  

Makes for a nice space heater too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never happen.

Too bad soul can't be quantified. His tone came from his gear. "Soul" doesn't have any acoustic properties. His musicianship came from the soul (or heart, or brain, or...).

There are plenty of folks who can accurately replicate his tone. It's not rocket science, you just need the same gear (or close). Now, PLAYING like him is another matter altogether.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a 1966 (I think) Ampeg Gemini that I'll never part with.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]
If gear heads were as gullible as audiophiles the flathead would be making a romantic come back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
A small hijack here. I have a Panasonic Oceanic from the fifties. Great radio. But keeps fading out to nothing. I think I need some new tubes. Anybody nknow where to buy them?
Thanks
Dale

May need an tune-up, too.  Got a good audio shop where you live?  Anyone who can align a tuner can do the work on it, with any luck.  Might need a service manual, though.    

If your lucky, it uses garden variety tubes.  Check out the AudioAsylum sponsor links on the front page for good tube vendors.  Stay the hell away from ebay for tubes unless you know the vendor and track record.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-II Deluxe.  I added the EMGs a few years after I bought it.

Very nice. ESP makes some great guitars, their soldering inside (at the few I've seen) shows a great attention to detail. I also like EMG's, but they don't seem to use as much of the guitars harmonics (quality of wood and construction) as reulgar pickups. So I went w/ Seymour Duncans in my Les Paul classic birdseye. Can't say they are any better then EMG's though, as I really liked the sound of the KH2 I got a chance to play.

Cool setup dude. :D
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't win a prize for guessing the right amp?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
If gear heads were as gullible as audiophiles the flathead would be making a romantic come back.

Flatheads are popular with the hotrod crowd.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#46]
had a tube gutair amp as tall as i was at the time (5 foot or so) with a tube head and 6 speaker cabinet.- not sure of the brand- thing was LOUD.  Dumbass me traded it for a small SS amp...

Had no clue at the time- was probably a 70's or so vintage.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#47]
One of my favorite amps is my '69 Fender Bassman
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never happen.

A good engineer and a couple of MOSFETs could hand most listeners their ears.

Dave S

BTW:

So, what does a SRV CD sound like through a tube amp?    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 4 channel tube amp for car audio somewhere out in the garage.  I bealive it was made by PPI.  I wish I had a use for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes flatheads are hot in period correct hot rods but a 40 year old chev. SB, much less some of the newer technology, will outperform it in every area.  I've got a SC 427 C5R that probably puts out as much HP in one cylinder as a typical FH engine.

CM - I don't know why you included my post but I get the feeling our views are similar.  IMHO many people don't understand that the price/value curve in high end audio is fairly straight for an inch or two then goes almost straight up.  It's not that you don't get more in most cases, it's just that you pay dearly for it.  Krell, Audio Research and Wilson Audio are good examples.  Expensive, but very satisfying in every way.

There are few, if any, real high end shops in Atlanta nowadays.  I'm sure price forced many of their former enthusiast to places like J&R and Audio Advisor.  I think the tweako freaks played a part in the downfall of the hobby too.  Add gun store like, golden eared, pretentious owners and the hand writing was on the wall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top