Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/7/2006 3:33:52 PM EDT
I always find it funny when I ride along and the officer does  a field interview on a person and they take this question as 100% serious.

"oh my officer no I dont have any RPG's or anything like that"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just some idiot trick to do a fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]

"Nope, just that shoe mine you're standing on"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was wanding folks at Knotts Halloween haunt I would ask similar questions and some people took me seriously.  "Do they really try to bring those things in?"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen police do that on COPS and bust people because they did not find it funny,which means they are hiding something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When I was wanding folks at Knotts Halloween haunt I would ask similar questions and some people took me seriously.  "Do they really try to bring those things in?"

i don't think it's a good idea to unnecessarily scare the sheeple, it makes them more receptive to ever-tighter gun control.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
A cop in Maryland asked me that when he stopped me for a seatbelt.

I think he was hoping to catch a whale.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
"No officer, but I do have a really big cock."

Try saying that sometime....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
"I have nothing illegal on me or in my vehicle officer."
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys act like you never keep a spare IED in your trunk.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"No officer, but I do have a really big cock."

Try saying that sometime....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

its called trying to de-escalate some of the tension.  When we do a pat down, its because we already have reasonable suspicion.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Good god people, its a JOKE.

They have to ask about the kinves and guns, since they are concealed weapons and in all but a few states illegal without a permit.  And even where its legal or you do have a permit they do like to know its there for their own safety.  Lots of them dont like asking, especally as only a minority of people carry such things even where and when it IS legal to, so they try to make a repetative part of their job a little less onerous and show that they aren't hostile and "out to get you".

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its called trying to de-escalate some of the tension.  When we do a pat down, its because we already have reasonable suspicion.  

Not always.  A guy at my station does a terry pat anytime anyone comes out of a vehicle.  He pulled over a guy for a busted taillight, and planned on just writing a warning and showing the guy that it was busted.  

Well, to show the guy, he had to get out and asked if he could terry pat.  The guy said that he had a gun in his pocket, and promptly got apprehended for illegal carry, and later drugs were found in his car.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A cop in Maryland asked me that when he stopped me for a seatbelt.

I think he was hoping to catch a whale.

reminds me of a joke:
driver: why was i pulled over?
officer: you where doing 55 in a 45. do you have any weapons or drugs in the car?
driver: yes i have an "assault rifle" in the back seat and a body in the trunk.

officer calls for backup and sheriff arrives and searches car and finds no weapons or body and says to the driver " my officer told me you had a rifle in the backseat and a body in the trunk."

driver: i bet that lyin sumbitch aslo told you i was speeding to.!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure it's a joke, I find that when I get pulled over it's best just laugh in the officers face because getting pulled over is so funny.    Trust me, the last thing I'm thinking of as an officer approaches my car with his hand on his gun is how funny the situation is.  I had a Michigan State Police officer pull that stunt on me but instead of RPGs he asked if I had any alligator hand grenades.  Then he asked if he could search my car.  I had nothing in it so I told him he could.  He declined.  He was fishing because I had Illinois plates while in Detroit which made me a questionable drug runner I guess.  I must have passed his little test though.

What caught his attention was a sudden lane change I made because the exit signs on that part of the road were misplaced.  Then he claims he "paced" me as I was going around the curve exiting one interstate and getting on the next.  His claim was I was doing 85mph...around the curve on an off ramp!  Whatever.  He checked me out, told me to slow down and sent me off with a verbal warning.  Imagine that 30 mph over the speed limit and only a verbal warning.  He was fishing and nothing else.  Being pulled over is never funny...unless it's a buddy playing a prank on you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, I had to clean out the car to make room for the nuke.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Drama queens out in full force I see.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently was pulled over on a routine stop.  The fellow asked if I had any guns or weapons in the car.  LIke a dumbass chicken shit I said "no", which is the truth.   No ticket, he tells me I was going 5 miles over the limit (5 miles) and then drives away.   Everybody is happy.... but then I think to myself, what a pussy I was.  I gave up and became an instant sheeple.

NEXT TIME I will politely but firmly say "Officer I can appreciate that question, however the constitution doesn't require I answer that question.    It's nothing personal officer, but the courts will clearly side with me that exericing my civil rights does not constitute probable cause of anything.

At this point he'll become pissed and give me the ticket to teach me a lession- Civil rights don't come without a price.   oh well.  Gotta politely affirm our rights or you end up losing them by default.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"sir do you have any guns, knives, needles, grenades IED's Rocket launchers on you?"  

"What do you need?"

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I recently was pulled over on a routine stop.  The fellow asked if I had any guns or weapons in the car.  LIke a dumbass chicken shit I said "no", which is the truth.   No ticket, he tells me I was going 5 miles over the limit (5 miles) and then drives away.   Everybody is happy.... but then I think to myself, what a pussy I was.  I gave up and became an instant sheeple.

NEXT TIME I will politely but firmly say "Officer I can appreciate that question, however the constitution doesn't require I answer that question.    It's nothing personal officer, but the courts will clearly side with me that [b]exericing my civil rights does not constitute probably cause of anything.At the point he'll be pissed and give me the ticket - bummer.   oh well.  Gotta politely affirm our rights or you end up losing them by default

that is pretty funny, right there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"sir do you have any guns, knives, needles, grenades IED's Rocket launchers on you?"  

"What do you need?"

+1000007
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't think it's a good idea to unnecessarily scare the sheeple, it makes them more receptive to ever-tighter gun control.

The whole point of Haunt is to scare the sheeple unnecessarily.  And we do a damn good job of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's actually a very effective tool to judge the state of mind of the person and has saved many LEO's lives.  I don't quite think thats a fishing expedition or and idiot trick
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Needle?

WTF?

What if I just bought a sewing kit at the grocery store?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Needle?

WTF?

Think of how many people a cop frisks a night,  think of how many are needle freaks.  Lie to an officer and get stuck, there is a chance that officer can get HIV, Hep c, etc etc etc.  That right there is a manslaughter charge.  BEFORE THE COP IS DEAD.  Conversly, if a cop asks you if you have a needle on you, and you say, "yes sir I have a gram in my right pocket and a used syringe in my left front pocket" They will genuinly appreciate that sometimes life saving honesty and I've personally seen a few needle freaks turned loose because of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#27]
A new Army unit had just taken over the gates at one of the FOBs when we pulled in and they directed us into the "inspection lane".   So as we are piling out of the trucks with machineguns and everything else this national guard lady jumps back and yells "they got guns!"

very calmly the convoy commander says "yes maam, and what else are you looking for? cause we probably have that too"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Why no...not at work I don't.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, they come accross more RPG's than you think!

Last year, before I sold my truck, I went to kinko's and had them blow up a pic of an AK and RPG in a gun rack, cut it out and taped it onto the the back windshield of my truck. Damn, the response was wild!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hey, they come accross more RPG's than you think!

Last year, before I sold my truck, I went to kinko's and had them blow up a pic of an AK and RPG in a gun rack, cut it out and taped it onto the the back windshield of my truck. Damn, the response was wild!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
For Pete's sake, I'm starting to wonder about some of you folks.  It's a de-escalating move.  I've been to  dentists that use the same method.

My neighbor introduced me to this site, and warned me about the "characters" in general discussion.  

I'm starting to think he drastically understated the problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I used it as a tension breaker when I was cop as I patted someone down or searched them incidental to arrest.  I usually asked "Do you have any guns, knives, hand grenades, thermo-nuclear devices?"  I usually got blank stares until I got to the grenades and nuclear part, then they would usually giggle.  I was with a FBI Agent one time and he about fell out laughing when I asked the guy we were arresting the question.  It's called adding levity to an otherwise unpleasant situation, it also lets the person know that the arrest isn't personal or they are being rail roaded, like some of the commentators here seem to think. Liten up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
For Pete's sake, I'm starting to wonder about some of you folks.  It's a de-escalating move.  I've been to  dentists that use the same method.

My neighbor introduced me to this site, and warned me about the "characters" in general discussion.  

Everything is a conspiracy around here at times
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not always.  A guy at my station does a terry pat anytime anyone comes out of a vehicle.  He pulled over a guy for a busted taillight, and planned on just writing a warning and showing the guy that it was busted.  

Well, to show the guy, he had to get out and asked if he could terry pat.  The guy said that he had a gun in his pocket, and promptly got apprehended for illegal carry, and later drugs were found in his car.

If he has to ask, it is not a Terry pat. A Terry pat may only be done when there is reasonable, articulatable reasons to suspect that the suspect may be carrying such weapons, or may post a danger to the officer.

It is wrong to pat-down everyone you encounter, and asking for permission is different than having reason to do so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
exericing my civil rights does not constitute probably cause of anything.[/

that is pretty funny, right there.

That is the absolute truth, backed up by case law.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
We'll often ask for consent to search and if refused conduct a terry frisk.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I really have no problem with these types of things.....so long as they have the god damned common courtesy to give me a reach-around, while their fucking me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Johninaustin?
Yea...I thought so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.  It's quite an education.  My wife's 2nd grade class had less hysteria when the class snake got loose.  Gun owners are not what I thought they would be.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.  It's quite an education.  My wife's 2nd grade class had less hysteria when the class snake got loose.  Gun owners are not what I thought they would be.

Defintily a friend of Johninaustin.
Notice how I used of blue highlighting?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you going to start attacking me now?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Psh...no.
That's not my style.
But it was Johninaustin, who reffered you here...right?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If you want to see hysterics, just see what happens when you post a scary spider pic in one of DrFrige's threads.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Psh...no.
That's not my style.
But it was Johninaustin, who reffered you here...right?

I know John, but it's a rather large group of folks that steered me here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
When an officer asks me if i have any guns, drugs, bazookas, tanks, or other illegal items, my standard response is "Well, that depends.... What kinda budget ya workin' with?"

Oh, BTW, here's a great "gun" related traffic stop story for ya:
One time a friend and I were in a local park around 11pm eating some pizza after work. Finished off the pizza and rolled on out. About 4 or 5 blocks down the road I get the blue and reds and a spotlight on me so I pull over wondering what I could've done wrong in the span of 4 blocks. I actually like cops so I'm a pretty pleasant "suspect" whenever I'm stopped, however, this happened about 10 years ago when I had long hair, a leather jacket, combat boots, yada, yada, yada. The officer ( a lady of about 30 and of petite soccer-mom build) stepped to the window asked for papers and if I knew why she stopped me. I said "No ma'am, what's the problem?" As she explained that "the park is closed after 11pm and it's now 11:20...." she stopped almost mid sentence and asked if we would step out of the car. Kinda confused, but unconcerned we obliged. "Mind if I search your vehicle?" "Nope. Go ahead." She says "Got any drugs or weapons in the car?" I said "no", with a chuckle. She then reaches into the floorboard and snatches up a .45 cartridge attached to a length of dogtag chain that had broken off of a keychain i had on my coat at one time. The snapped "Then what's THIS??" and presented her brassen treasure with the little tail of chain swinging from the bottom. As I wonder if she's joking, i answer "...part of a keychain....".  "Are you SURE you don't have any guns in the car??", she said in a seriously accusatory way. I realized she's 100% serious at which point my disbelief became disdain. "Umm, YEAH. I'm PRETTY SURE I don't have any guns." Well, we'll see about that ..." she says and begins to really tear throug hmy car, tossing stuff out onto the wet ground. Now I'm getting a little pissed so I asked "Officer, do you seriously not see the chain hanging from the spot where the PRIMER should be?!?. It's A KEYCHAIN.". "...Uh-Huh...."  "Ok, officer, your right. I do have a gun. A keychain gun that fires magic keychain bullets from a hi-cap keychain clip!" (back off nomenclature Nazis... I used "clip" for effect).  She more or less ignored my remark and finished tearing through my shit which turned up........ drum roll..... NOTHING!!! (duh). "Be sure you obey those signs posted at the park gates..." and she walked back to her cruiser leaving us to put everything back in the car.  
I'm willing to wager that she's the kind of cop that loaded her duty pistol when it was issued to her and has never unholstered it since.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#46]
She do all that by herself with you guys standing right there?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sounds like his big mistake was not telling her to stop the concensual search.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like his big mistake was not telling her to stop the concensual search.

If you're foolish enough to consent I recommend withdrawing and reinstating your consent repeatedly over 5min.

(I don't recommend it)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Needle?

WTF?

Think of how many people a cop frisks a night,  think of how many are needle freaks.  Lie to an officer and get stuck, there is a chance that officer can get HIV, Hep c, etc etc etc.  That right there is a manslaughter charge.  BEFORE THE COP IS DEAD.  Conversly, if a cop asks you if you have a needle on you, and you say, "yes sir I have a gram in my right pocket and a used syringe in my left front pocket" They will genuinly appreciate that sometimes life saving honesty and I've personally seen a few needle freaks turned loose because of it.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#50]
"Officer, I conceal 12 RPG's about my person at all times, along with my .88magnum that shoots through schools.  My Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range is on back order.  Now then, do you have any IDEA how uncomfortable this is?

This reminds me of a gunshow I went to in Nashville with some guys from TheHighRoad.  I walked in and paid my entrance fee, and was asked "Do you have any firearms you wish to check or on your person?"  I replied "No sir, nothing but my concealed Barrett 50cal semi-auto sniper rifle."  He looked at me sort of funny, his eyes got about the size of dinner plates, and then he realized what I said..."Oh, well if that's all, go right ahead" after he explained to the girl sitting with him that I just told him I was concealing a 50lb 6ft long rifle without printing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top