Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 1:28:56 PM EDT
I'm currently rehabbing my house (totally gutted) and have the opportunity to run a water line over the area where I will be putting a gunsafe that I've yet to buy.  I was wondering if a commercial type indoor fire sprinkler system mounted 3 feet or so above the safe would be an idea that could possibly benefit my collection if a fire were ever to break out.  

I know that the fire lined safes usually are rated for 30 mins at 1,200.  I suspect a house fire runs quite a bit hotter than just 1,200 and probably would last at least 30 minutes.  The only thing I'd benefit from would be baking the cosmoline off of my C&R's.  Other than that I imagine that inside the safe would still get to temps that would melt most of my plastic toys (glocks, walther pistols, AR stocks/furniture) and would be hell on optics.  

So what's the odds you could get a simple system like that installed in my gun room/storage room and work enough to keep the safe from turning into a crock pot.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
have a residential fire sprinkler system installed throughout your house and you won't have to worry about your guns burning up.

a house fire  WON'T  last anywhere near 30minutes with a good sprinkler system.

not a really expensive investment, especially considering you are gutting the house anyways.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
have a residential fire sprinkler system installed throughout your house and you won't have to worry about your guns burning up.

a house fire  WON'T  last anywhere near 30minutes with a good sprinkler system.

not a really expensive investment, especially considering you are gutting the house anyways.

Question:  Given that insurance companies have all of the intelligence and common sense of a sack of hammers, do you think they will have any problem with insuring the house against both fire and water damage if you have a sprinkler system installed?

I'm serious (and curious, I'd like to have sprinklers...)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Insurance companies will give you a huge break on fire insurance for installing sprinklers.  Reason: sprinklered buildings don't burn down.  Any water damage from the sprinklers going off pales in comparison to smoke/fire/water damage in an unsprinklered house.

Not to mention it's safer for your family.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Insurance companies will give you a huge break on fire insurance for installing sprinklers.  Reason: sprinklered buildings don't burn down.  Any water damage from the sprinklers going off pales in comparison to smoke/fire/water damage in an unsprinklered house.

that would be the logic that I would follow.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Seriously huge... I was talking to my new agent about this last week.

I mean, it isn't going to off-set the cost of installing the system... But, you get a break and most of your shit won't burn up.

Ask Denny Hanson about safes and fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top