Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:57:10 AM EDT
It seems that the only way to use the shuffle function on an Ipod is to shuffle your entire collection.  It'd be nice to shuffle a playlist or music from one artist.

Can this be done?  What am I missing?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the center button to create an "on the go" play list. You can highlight just one song, an album, a band, a genre, what ever you want. Hold the center button down as you select it until your selection flashes.  Go to playlists -> on the go.  You can erase the play list you just created or you can save it and create another or you can still add to the current list. Next time you connect it to your PC, it will upload your new list into iTunes.

Hope this helps.

ETA: If you're just selecting an album, it should shuffle within that album without creating a play list. Select shuffle -> songs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Neat trick...thanks.  But what I'd like to do is shuffle within a selected playlist, artist, etc.  

Being able to shuffle a playlist would be enough really...just set up a playlist for an artist.

Quoted:
Use the center button to create an "on the go" play list. You can highlight just one song, an album, a band, a genre, what ever you want. Hold the center button down as you select it until your selection flashes.  Go to playlists -> on the go.  You can erase the play list you just created or you can save it and create another or you can still add to the current list. Next time you connect it to your PC, it will upload your new list into iTunes.

Hope this helps.

ETA: If you're just selecting an album, it should shuffle within that album without creating a play list. Select shuffle -> songs.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Neat trick...thanks.  But what I'd like to do is shuffle within a selected playlist, artist, etc.  

Being able to shuffle a playlist would be enough really...just set up a playlist for an artist.

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Yep. just highlight the artist, press and hold the center button. Now go to the on the go list and play it with shuffle songs enabled. You're there!  Hopefully the next version will make it a little easier.

ETA: I'm not sure how many songs you can put in a play list. It's possible that if you have a LOT of albums by one band, it might be too many songs. You can also select other playlists to be added to the on the go list.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It's working now....but I feel like a complete idiot.  I swear I've tried the exact thing in the past by having shuffle on, and playing a playlist...but it wouldn't shuffle.  Just play all the songs right in a row.

Works on the "on the go" playlists as well as others that i previously created in Itunes.

At least its working. Thanks!

ETA:  It's working with artists now too.  I swear I am losing my mind.  

At least its working now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top