Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:19 AM EDT
www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449528

Gary Waddell, Anchor
Gunman Used Low Cost Assault Weapon
Feb 2, 2006, 06:24 PM

The gunman used a high-powered, low cost knock-off assault rifle in Wednesday's deadly shootout. Amir Crump opened fire shooting and reloading a number of times, an estimated 50 rounds in all. Police train for these types of situations and they're prepared to deal with them, but they still never really expect them.

Ron Montoya, with American Shooter Supply, said, "I think our department is very well armed and very well trained and I don't see that there is anything out there on the market that can really compete with what we have in our law enforcement armory today."

Help to Sgt. Henry Prendes came from a plain clothes officer. The officer, who heard the call, came to the scene with his own high-powered AR-15 rifle and was wounded in action.

Ron Montoya said. "We do sell a lot of these to the officers for situations like this, and as little as they have to be used, there are instances, like yesterday, where they were used."

Montoya owns American Shooter Supply. He sells weapons to police officers and law-abiding citizens, but he says a lot of weapons get into the wrong hands because the buyers are able to bypass the checks and balances. "Unfortunately, there are still a lot of gaps out there such as newspaper purchases and gun shows where they're not governed. And most of these crime-related incidents purchase their firearms through gun shows, or through the newspapers, places that aren't regulated."

And that means guns on the streets with no record of who owns them. Anyone who wants to buy a gun or rifle at American Shooter Supply must go through a background check, provide basic identification and be at least 21 years old.

"This is all the info obtained by the state from an indivdual buying a rifle. I think the way they have it down now, it's a good check system." It's a system Montoya believes should be the only means of obtaining a gun.

Another problem are copycat assault weapons. According to a report from a group called the Violence Policy Center, Nevada, Arizona and Utah have the largest concentration of these copycat manufactures in the country. They make mostly cosmetic changes to banned weapons and then market them as "post-ban" guns.

This story is pretty big here right now, mostly because it's been 18 years since a Las Vegas police officer has been killed in the line of duty.  The guy who killed Seargent Prendes was a scumbag.  What irks me are the highlighted comments from Montoya, the owner of American Shooter Supply.  I guess gun grabbers come in all shapes, sizes, and professions...including gun dealers themselves.

If I was a gun dealer, I'd hate to be quoted in the same article as the VPC supporting the same position.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This story is pretty big here right now, mostly because it's been 18 years since a Las Vegas police officer has been killed in the line of duty.  The guy who killed Seargent Prendes was a scumbag.  What irks me are the highlighted comments from Montoya, the owner of American Shooter Supply.  I guess gun grabbers come in all shapes, sizes, and professions...including gun dealers themselves.

If I was a gun dealer, I'd hate to be quoted in the same article as the VPC supporting the same position.

Oh don’t fool yourself there are a lot of dealers and gun shop owners that want to see private sales regulated so you have to go through them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course Montoya wants gun shows to be shut down.  Then his inflated prices are the only game in town.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like this scumbag Montoya may be irked that all sales don't have to go through dealers like him. Probably worried about the sales he loses through private deals...

Guys like this are just about as bad as people like HCI.....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've read any number of articles where the gun was described as an "assault weapon"  which I suppose it is since it was actually used to assault someone, but what kind of gun was it?

Low cost assault weapon sounds like SKS to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Of course Montoya wants gun shows to be shut down.  Then his inflated prices are the only game in town.

you must go to different gunshows than me. The prices I usually see at shows are higher there than at stores
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you must go to different gunshows than me. The prices I usually see at shows are higher there than at stores

Kill private sales and gun shows and see what gun shop prices do...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've read any number of articles where the gun was described as an "assault weapon"  which I suppose it is since it was actually used to assault someone, but what kind of gun was it?

Low cost assault weapon sounds like SKS to me.

+1.  I guessed before I read the article.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Any relation to Tony Montoya?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
It was an SKS
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the media refers to any semi-auto centerfire rifle not made by Winchester or Remington as an "assault weapon".
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't you buy a long gun at 18 in Nv? So not only does he want to end private sales, he wants to ban sales to 18-20 YO's too. He's no different than Bill Ruger and the "Hi-Cap" ban.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like someone needs to let the shooting public know about their 'friend', Mr Montoya
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was an SKS

It should be noted that for all intensive purposes (IMO) ......an SKS is a C&R gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes folks, we'll ultimately be done in by our own in the end.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Of course Mr Montoya is bashing newspaper and gun show sales, he wants to shut them down and force them to do business through his company.  If every transaction was required to go through a dealer then he would make a ton more money.  He doesn't care aboug gun owners or gun rights, he is simply looking out for his own bottom line.  Sounds like this guy would make a deal with the devil if it guaranteed him more business.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of us local Las Vegas guys are going to make sure that asshat knows what we think of his point of view.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Gary Waddell, Anchor

The gunman used a high-powered, low cost knock-off assault rifle in Wednesday's deadly shootout. Amir Crump opened fire shooting and reloading a number of times Lessee, an "Assault Rifle" would have only need 1 reload, an estimated 50 rounds in all. Police train for these types of situations and they're prepared to deal with them, but they still never really expect them.  

Ron "Dumbass elitist bastard" Montoya, with American Commie Shooter Supply, said, "I think our department is very well armed and very well trained and I don't see that there is anything out there on the market that can really compete with what we have in our law enforcement armory today."

Help to Sgt. Henry Prendes came from a plain clothes officer. The officer, who heard the call, came to the scene with his own high-powered AR-15 rifle and was wounded in action.

Ron Montoya said. "We do sell a lot of these to the officers for situations like this, and as little as they have to be used, there are instances, like yesterday, where they were used."

Montoya owns American Shooter Supply. He sells weapons to police officers and law-abiding citizenscomrades, but he says a lot of weapons get into the wrong hands because the buyers are able to bypass the checks and balances. "Unfortunately, there are still a lot of gaps out there such as newspaper purchases and gun shows where they're not governed. And most of these crime-related incidents purchase their firearms through gun shows, or through the newspapers, places that aren't regulated."

And that means guns on the streets with no record of who owns them. Anyone who wants to buy a gun or rifle at American Shooter Supply must go through a background check, provide basic identification and be at least 21 years old.

"This is all the info obtained by the state from an indivdual buying a rifle. I think the way they have it down now, it's a good check system." It's a system Montoya believes should be the only means of obtaining a gun.

Another problem are copycat assault weapons. According to a report from a group called the Violence Policy Center, Nevada, Arizona and Utah have the largest concentration of these copycat manufactures in the country. They make mostly cosmetic changes to banned weapons and then market them as "post-ban" guns.WTF?  They are talking a bout a ban that ended over a year ago.  Morons

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm, seems like it is a good fire mission, I would guess American Shooter Supply might have a website or e-mail....maybe we should e-mail him and let him know what we think of his BS statements....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Fired fifty rounds and had to reload several times?  His low cost assault weapon wasn't giving him his more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was an SKS

It should be noted that for all intensive purposes (IMO) ......an SKS is a C&R gun.

A note from your friendly neighborhood grammar nazi.. It's "intents and purposes".  Nothing personal
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Im gonna be blunt with my comment.............FUCKIN IDIOT!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Gary Waddell, Anchor

The gunman used a high-powered, low cost knock-off assault rifle in Wednesday's deadly shootout. Amir Crump opened fire shooting and reloading a number of times, an estimated 50 rounds in all. Police train for these types of situations and they're prepared to deal with them, but they still never really expect them.

Ron Montoya, with American Shooter Supply, said, "I think our department is very well armed and very well trained and I don't see that there is anything out there on the market that can really compete with what we have in our law enforcement armory today."
-snip-

Haven't I heard this asshat's name somewhere before, helping out the anit's with his own special brand of BS???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#23]
[email protected]  

Let him know what you think.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Any relation to Tony Montoya?

never heard of him. Did you mean Tony Montana?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gary Waddell, Anchor

-snip-

Haven't I heard this asshat's name somewhere before, helping out the anit's with his own special brand of BS???

Every locale seems to have one of these Vichy gunshop owners that's willing to get their ugly mug in front of a camera & suck up to the gungrabbing crowd.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
does he have fact and figures for all these perps obtaining their gundage from funshows?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Dear Ron,

We at the Communist Party of America would like to thank you for your services in not only carrying out the the rules and regulations involved in transferring firearms, but in the vocal support of more intensive firearms laws and in your efforts to publicize loopholes in current law that allow people to circumvent restrictions without penalty.  We at the CPA know that only through the efforts of people like yourself can we once and for all rid Americans of the vile plague of guns that haunts this country.  Your efforts will be rewarded when our regime takes over by being the sole supplier of firearms to party members and state police in the Nevada area.

Sincerely,

Fudge McPackin
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#28]
The most ghastly part of this story is not a gun dealer's betrayal.

It is the outpouring of support from the local hip-hop community for the cop-killing POS.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
[email protected]  

tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#30]

This here is the mutts contact info should any of you wish to give him Second Amendment greetings for selling us out...

www.americanshooters.com/contactus.html

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Some of us local Las Vegas guys are going to make sure that asshat knows what we think of his point of view.

Good for you!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The most ghastly part of this story is not a gun dealer's betrayal.

It is the outpouring of support from the local hip-hop community for the cop-killing POS.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
[email protected]  

Done.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#35]
My letter -

Mr. Montoya -

I was VERY disappointed to read your comments to KLAS-TV regarding the shooting of the Las Vegas officer. That event being tragic enough, it was yet more tragic to hear a gun dealer simultaneously sell out the Second Amendment.

I recognize it is very possible your comments were taken out of context - I've seen it happen many times. But I don't see a way your sell-out of private gun sales could have been taken out of context. It appears to me you did so for personal gain - to force all gun sales thru FFL dealers...like yourself.

I have worked TIRELESSLY for the protection and expansion of firearms freedom. To have a gun dealer act in a way to destroy those freedoms is unacceptable.

I regard you with the same disgust I do Violence Policy Center, also cited in the article. The misinformation you spread, and worse, the lack of understanding of Constitutional firearms freedom you exhibited is of the same ilk as Sarah Brady. You are no friend of gun owners, and as I hear it, La Vegas gun owners are soon to be no friend of you.

I can only hope they let you know EXACTLY how damaging your comments were. I suspect the only language you do understand is that of the bottom line.

I remain open to you explaining your comments - how they took your comments out of context, or how you spoke without thinking.....something.

Short of that, I can only hope your business quickly spirals downward into obscurity, if you persist on selling out the Second Amendment, just to put a buck in your pocket.

We don't need charlatans like you in the firearms community.

I look forward expectantly to your explanation.

garandman
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
P.S. to Mr. Montoya -

One more thing...

Its truly ironic I should read about your sell out just a few hours after emailing Mr. Ronnie Barrett of Barrett Firearms, thanking him for his principled stand for firearms freedom, which he has done to his own financial detriment.

If EVER there was a starker contrast between a patriot and a profiteer (you are NOT the patriot, in case you weren't catching my drift) I haven't seen it.

garandman

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice work Garandman.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Great letter Garandman,  The only $$ I've ever spent there has been for range time, but obviously that has come to an end. Word will spread about his sellout position. Keep sending those emails guys!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Ron,

I read the article http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449528

And I read your quote,  "Unfortunately, there are still a lot of gaps out there such as newspaper purchases and gun shows where they're not governed. And most of these crime-related incidents purchase their firearms through gun shows, or through the newspapers, places that aren't regulated "

You need to find another line of work, something else to make money, because you sound like Sarah Bady. Instead of preserving the Second Ammendment, you want to sell it out to make your own deal with the devil.

Shall not be infringed.

You are a scumbag on the first order. All my friends in the area will know of your treason, I hope your store goes under and you lose your ass.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You are a scumbag on the first order. All my friends in the area will know of your treason, I hope your store goes under and you lose your ass.

Or that.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]
We should all stop in whilst we are in Vegas for SHOT.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I think the media refers to any semi-auto centerfire rifle not made by Winchester or Remington as an "assault weapon".

+1000

In NY, they call .38 revolvers assault weapons
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Check out the video of that interview

It is linked on the left side of this article....and is titled : " ASSAULT WEAPONS QUESTIONS "

Dude talks out of his ass a lot for someone who makes his grocery money off the gun hobbyist/enthusiasts
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Check out the video of that interview

It is linked on the left side of this article....and is titled : " ASSAULT WEAPONS QUESTIONS "

Dude talks out of his ass a lot for someone who makes his grocery money off the gun hobbyist/enthusiasts

This guy I think its pretty obvious is associated with the local PD - prolly on the payroll, the way he says "we" and "our armory"

He's  obviously in the taxpayers pocket.

Typical political hack police brass (who also happens to own a gun shop)

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#46]
They sell police equipment and uniforms, so yes he does have alot of contact with LEOs
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sounds like this scumbag Montoya may be irked that all sales don't have to go through dealers like him. Probably worried about the sales he loses through private deals...

Guys like this are just about as bad as people like HCI.....

Yup.
On another note we have a local gunshop that the guys that run the place encourage private sales. They are a really good gunshop. They will of course sell you anything they have but when it comes to trades or selling them outright,they will encourage you to do a private sale.
they wil always work with you on prices as well. Good guys,the lot of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top